Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rushes problem

Options
  • 30-12-2009 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭

As of last year my lawn is covered in rushes. Thing is, im on really, really dry ground which is strange. Is there any way of killing them without killing the grass? I also have a lot of thistles and roundup just leaves brown holes in the lawn. Any suggestions?

(I have a feeling im not going to like the answers:()

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Roundup can be used selectively on lawn areas but it wouldn't be advisable. It is very effective as you have seen the results, if you continue to use Roundup in this manner, it is important that the brown areas are cleaned and prepared with new seed.

I'm not aware of any particular treatment for rushes, but roundup is one option. How large is the overall area? You might given the presence of thistles etc to kill the whole lawn and begin anew come springtime.

AFAIK rushes also thrive in poor soils, so that might be sufficient reason to start again in springtime?

Finally weedkillers should not be used on new lawns, ie < 1 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Geezer1000

Lawn is about 2 years old. Unfortunately it was sown and 3 days later it started raining and it hasnt stopped since :rolleyes:. I reckon myself that dig it up and start again is the only option :mad:

Advertisement