Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cineworld, Dublin! Increasing prices

Options
  • 30-12-2009 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭

I went to Avatar 3D recently and the prices are outrageous!

€12.30 for 3D plus 80c for glasses(50c in other cinemas), and the food is extremely overpriced as per normal!

I emailed the head office and was given a reply saying they are on par with other cinemas, which is a load of crap! Dundrum, savoy, uci are all cheaper!

I even compared their 3D tickets with their liverpool cinema and its £9 for a 3D movie, roughly €9.50. I asked where the extra 3 euro is going...

I asked why they are raising prices when everyone is feeling the brunt of the economic climate!

I got an awful reply, which just shows they dont give a sh1t. Il be making sure to go to cheaper cinemas in future!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I was charged €15 a ticket for Avatar 3d in that absolute dump that is Storm in Waterford.
    Wasn't charged extra for 3d glasses however :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭cassette50

gman2k wrote: »
    I was charged €15 a ticket for Avatar 3d in that absolute dump that is Storm in Waterford.

it's €12.80 inc glasses for 3D films after 5 pm in Storm, its something like €10.80 before 5.

You were robbed. Plus it's a decent enough cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

It is a free economy and all private business can charge what they like, if you have a problem with it, then go to a cheaper cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

gman2k wrote: »

€15? Yeah right.
    Storm is quite expensive, not that expensive, thats bullsh*t.
    For the price of storm, is made up in quality though, much better than the other cinema which was down the town like.

I was only charged €7.80 to see alvin & the chipmunks 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

It is a free economy and all private business can charge what they like, if you have a problem with it, then go to a cheaper cinema.

What are you even on this forum for? Its not the "Id like someone to tell me something obvious forum"

Simple fact is, if we dont make a complaint about being overcharged, just like the last few years, the prices wont change!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I was charged €9.00 for Avatar 3D in the Savoy Dublin last week. Good value and great movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

A rip off would be they said it was avatar and you went in and watched 2 hours of corination street or some such

you don't have to go there. vote with your wallet, and stop comparing prices to a different country.

you can go the cinema in thailand for fiddy cent, on your bike.

• Site Banned Posts: 165 ✭✭narddog

Did the OP walk away from the Cinema, once he/she found out how much it would cost? If you walked away because you thought the prices were too high, well done. If you paid the price asked, you don't have a leg to stand on. People shouldn't bitch and moan about being ripped off, when they are prepared to pay the inflated prices. It's called freedom of choice. Exercise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

flynner13 wrote: »

Simple fact is, if we dont make a complaint about being overcharged, just like the last few years, the prices wont change!

You forgot the bit about not going to the business in question , and going to somewhere cheaper. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Cineworld do the Unlimited Card for 19.99 a month

The card is excellent value as if you were to go to the cinema once a week you would save 22.01 a month on the normal ticket prices. I normally go to the cinema twice a week, so I save 64.01 a month on the normal ticket prices.

Having the card also means that if the film is really crap, you can just walk out without feeling bad about the amount that you spent on the ticket

The 3D "add-on" is also slightly lower if you have an Unlimited Card and you can re-use the glasses a few times if you don't want to pay the 80c each time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    €15? Yeah right.
    Storm is quite expensive, not that expensive, thats bullsh*t.
    For the price of storm, is made up in quality though, much better than the other cinema which was down the town like.

I was only charged €7.80 to see alvin & the chipmunks 2.

€30 for 2 adults (including I presume laser card charge) for 13.15 showing of Avatar in 3d on December 24th 2009. Not Bullsh1t, just the facts.

Yes it is better than the closed down cinema down the town, but it's still a dump in my eyes.
    Where else would you see flattened cardboard boxes inside the entrance door for patrons to wipe their feet?
    Needless to say eatable were purchased in Tesco Poleberry and brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I was in Belfast today and went to see Avatar 3D at the Movie House on the Dublin Road at the 1pm showing. The price? £4 each. No charge for 3D glasses. I didn't buy any popcorn or drinks so don't know how much they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

What are you even on this forum for? Its not the "Id like someone to tell me something obvious forum"
    What are YOU on this forum for. I think you are looking for the ranting & raving forum, where people are not allowed to question your rant.

Ranting & Raving forum.
    keefg wrote: »
    This thread is for all rants to do with driving, motorists, pedestrians, cyclists or any activity on public roads that you want to rant about.

Rules - Read them carefully before posting!

Usual Boards rules apply (no personal abuse, racism etc etc.)

* No general sexist rants. If you have a specific rant involving a male or female driver then rant away, but do not just post "All women/men or crap drivers".

* Do not make comments about other Boards forums or specific members.

* Do not post against the rants.

* Do not try to explain or rationalise the road users behaviour. Rant or do not post.

* If you are not happy with a post then use the "Report Post" function - do not start an in-thread row.

* Single line rants may be deleted as discretion of the mods (unless they are very funny).

* No rants that generalise against a particular race behind the wheel.

* No quoting of another poster's rant to counter rant. Just say your piece without quoting.

* No chit chat, rants only!

Obey the rules or face the ban hammer!!

In there you will face no opposition to your complaints, as people who disagree with you would be banned.
    I asked why they are raising prices when everyone is feeling the brunt of the economic climate!
    If people like you are paying them they will keep the prices at this level, they would be idiots not to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Macall75

me and the girlfriend went to see avatar 3D at weekend sat nite,2 tickets,1student discount,2 medium cokes,bag of pick and mix 15 quid,couldnt beat it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Macall75

me and the girlfriend went to see avatar 3D at weekend sat nite in belfast,2 tickets,1student discount,2 medium cokes,bag of pick and mix 15 quid,couldnt beat it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

jahalpin wrote: »

The card is excellent value as if you were to go to the cinema once a week you would save 22.01 a month on the normal ticket prices. I normally go to the cinema twice a week, so I save 64.01 a month on the normal ticket prices.

Having the card also means that if the film is really crap, you can just walk out without feeling bad about the amount that you spent on the ticket

The 3D "add-on" is also slightly lower if you have an Unlimited Card and you can re-use the glasses a few times if you don't want to pay the 80c each time

Forget the unlimited card, from the irish site at least.

Buy it from Cineworld.co.uk, it's 13.50 which works out at 15.15Euro, and ya can go to all Cineworlds in Ireland :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭!MAVERICK!

The cinema in the Pavilions in swords is also a complete rip off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jackissoawesome

I'm not sure how it might work in Irish cinemas, but I once worked in a cinema in the UK and even tough the adult tickets after 5pm were like 5.75£, believe it or not the cinema wasn't making any profit on the tickets what so ever, it was just enough o cover the running costs(inc. slave labor paid minimum wage). Something like ~90% of the price you pay for the ticket goes straight to the film companies - then the bastards are surprised that there's piracy. As far as I know the only money cinemas make is from the overpriced junk food.

Never liked that cinema whatsoever! Staff are a ****ing disgrace and as rude as ****! I lost a mobile once and asked them for help, they did nothing to help me at all, not even take my home phone number to call me if they found it. They also denied me access to 18's films when i was 17 and 2 months away from being 18. I showed them my ID, They are also a ****ing rip off too with their food especially and the price of tickets ! Hope they go bankrupt and rot in hell!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

lol

Simple fact is, as long as people like you keep paying the price they will keep charging. When you found out what the price was you should have walked! Well done keeping the price up. Ringing them won't do ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

!MAVERICK! wrote: »
    Never liked that cinema whatsoever! Staff are a ****ing disgrace and as rude as ****! I lost a mobile once and asked them for help, they did nothing to help me at all, not even take my home phone number to call me if they found it. They also denied me access to 18's films when i was 17 and 2 months away from being 18. I showed them my ID, They are also a ****ing rip off too with their food especially and the price of tickets ! Hope they go bankrupt and rot in hell!

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭liverpo

The staff in some cinema's tend not to help certain idiots who talk on their mobile during a film, some people are actually stupid enough to drop their phone and then expect the staff to stop everything and help these "special people".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

So you were underage and they refused you entry which is something they're required to do by law? You showed them ID proving this and yet you're still mad that you removed any reasonable doubt that they could have had over your age?

I quite like Cineworld, always find it a nice comfortable cinema. Sure the food can be over priced but it'll be over priced in any cinema and you can always just bring a bag filled with stuff with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

jahalpin wrote: »

How can you pay for an Irish Unlimited card when it's 30% more expensive than a UK Unlimited card (which works in Ireland!!!)? And you can't get the the UK ones anymore (without a cunning plan, at least) because they cancel UK Unlimited accounts that use Irish addresses. Also, UK card owners only have to pay the first month's subscription up front, while we have to pay for two months? Even though UK residents can pay the much cheaper rate and freely attend cinemas in the UK and Ireland. Talk about double standards.

They're basically giving us the middle finger and we're thanking them heartily. I cancelled my and my partner's Unlimited cards back in 2007 or so when they bumped up the price into taking-the-mick territory. I'm surprised you can keep paying them and not feel abused, honestly.

It's just a shame other cinemas (in Dublin anyway) aren't technically as good (or comfortable) as Cineworld's. The Savoy's seating levels are too close to each other, so if you have anyone tall sitting in front of you, half the screen is blocked by the back of their head.

Also, I disagree with those saying "don't complain here, just don't pay them". I say don't pay them, but also DO complain here and everywhere, to encourage other people to vote with their feet and effect some change around here. We're being ripped off in many more ways than one and the more people talk about it, the more we'll do about it (unlike, apparently, the OP, who just talked about it ;)).

(BTW I'm glad this is not in the 'rant' forum, because I prefer when people can disagree with me/others and generally debate freely)

Brimmy wrote: »
    So you were underage and they refused you entry which is something they're required to do by law? You showed them ID proving this and yet you're still mad that you removed any reasonable doubt that they could have had over your age?

I quite like Cineworld, always find it a nice comfortable cinema. Sure the food can be over priced but it'll be over priced in any cinema and you can always just bring a bag filled with stuff with you.

I was 2 months away from being 18 you moron!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Does not matter if you are 2 days from being 18, the law is the law...

Does not matter if you are 2 days from being 18, the law is the law...

whats the worst thing that could happen if the assistant let me in?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

whats the worst thing that could happen if the assistant let me in?

He gets a criminal record and fired ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

If that's your reaction to me now I can only wonder what it was like to the person on the ticket desk at the time.

But oh yes, I'm a moron for pointing you weren't supposed to be allowed entrance by law and all they were doing their job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Brimmy wrote: »
    If that's your reaction to me now I can only wonder what it was like to the person on the ticket desk at the time.
    I'm sure they were convinced that the customer was acting in a mature and reasonable manner as expected from an almost-18 year old... oops :pac:

Advertisement