Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good black/white pudding

Options
  • 30-12-2009 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

any recommendations on good mass produced black and white puddings please.all the ones i've tried tend to be too compacted and very dry.i used to remember good stuff being crumbly when cooked .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

morcheen k wrote: »
    any recommendations on good mass produced black and white puddings please.all the ones i've tried tend to be too compacted and very dry.i used to remember good stuff being crumbly when cooked .

I like Rudds, but really most commercial puddings are pretty bad these days.
    Hard to get good quality stuff, try an artisanal producer like a small craft butcher.
    The big problem is getting fresh blood for the black pudding most places use dried blood which is inferior IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

CJhaughey wrote: »
    The big problem is getting fresh blood for the black pudding most places use dried blood which is inferior IMO.

As far as I know it's illegal to use fresh blood in pudding these days.

I do like Clonakilty pudding.
    Connemara Pudding is supposed to be very good too.
    Roscarbery is also good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Granby white pudding is awesome,alot to be said about the black though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭BrianJD

Rudds black and White Roulettes are very good and they've just been reduced to €2.00 for 4. Def the tastiest i've had in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

Olhausen white pudding, best I've ever tasted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

f22 wrote: »
    The black is not bad either:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Bradys' Family B&W pudding is v.good.....although by what you say in ure post, it may be a little 'dry' for you.....not sure where ure from but places like the Cork English Markets, or a good Butchers in the likes of Terenure in Dublin or Naas in Kildare always come up trumps with this type of produce in my experience...I'm sure there are similar butchers close to you that do the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭morcheen k

im in london,just added it on the left, so got a bit of choice,but a lot of mass produced stuff to wade through.nothing will ever be as good as my grandads in roscommon back in the 70's :D a farmers type market might be the best place to find some decent black pudding ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MonicaWonder

Clonakilty Black Pudding is bar far the best available in this country. Gary Rhodes even insists on importing it for use in his UK restaurants its that good. Its crumbly, and tastes exactly like it should, with a great depth of flavour. I find most other brands (Rudds, Olhausen) to have a bad texture and consistency. Go for the Clonakilty Black for sure. The white is good too, but the Black is unbeatable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

f22 wrote: »

Was just about to post this. I even eat it cold. It's very spicey and very very tasty. Cheap enough as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

hicks of dun laoghaire, that is all

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Clonakilty Black Pudding is bar far the best available in this country. Gary Rhodes even insists on importing it for use in his UK restaurants its that good. Its crumbly, and tastes exactly like it should, with a great depth of flavour. I find most other brands (Rudds, Olhausen) to have a bad texture and consistency. Go for the Clonakilty Black for sure. The white is good too, but the Black is unbeatable.

I have to disagree I am afraid, Clon has a big name but it is far from the best pudding available in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Yama

Agree with you about Clonakilty.

Not a supermarket brand , but the best white pudding I know is from FX Buckley butchers on Talbot Street in Dublin, it's crisps up lovely when cooked and the skin contracts making it ooze out on top and bottom, almost like pate before frying or grilling. I read in some newspaper supplement recently that the White pudding in Midland Meats in the Janelle shopping centre in Fingals is supposedly the best in Dublin, never tried it though.

I'm still looking for a black pudding that matches what I remember you used to be able to get the in Buttles Barleyfed bacon shop in Enniscorthy, long closed now unfortunately. Best rashers and pudding I ever had.

Also, I think real blood can be used once a special vampire knife is used. I think I read that in Forgotten Skills of Cooking by Darina Allen which is recent enough too.

Does anyone know whether clonakilty use dried blood or not? Just interested to know as it is a good pudding

On the nostalgia front, does anyone know is you can still get the thick hairy rind rashers that always had two small little white bits of boney gristle in the middle, I remember getting them in my grannys and loved them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yama wrote: »

Does anyone know whether clonakilty use dried blood or not? Just interested to know as it is a good pudding

Clonakilty uses dried beef blood and beef fat.
    It's not a pork product (and nothing wrong with that!)

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

I like Clonakilty for black and Rudds for white...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Clonakilty Black and Olhausen or JC's (in Swords, Dublin) White.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭morcheen k

had some good m&s black pudding recently.not found a decent white tho'

Hicks of Dun Laoghaire as posted before, best white pudding you'll ever eat. You get get the regular sausage type, or a square block of it which is what I get, it's divine - yummy raw.

They sell it in quite a few places now, super valu, superquinn, some spar shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭niall_belfast

While commercial black puds are usually horrendous, Kelly and I both love Clonakilty..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i bought a ring of black from the local shop a couple of days ago called 'taste of ireland', it was some of the nicest pudding i have tasted in a long time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

If your in the Clare area there's some very nice square blocks of puddings (meere's in ennis make some but there is others).
    Not a fan of clonakilty too me it tastes very cheap due to all the rusks. In dublin second the buckleys white lovely stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 zippy1500

clonakilty all the way, spreads like jam on toast when cooked right

• Registered Users Posts: 26 blind mans bluff

Anyone know where i can purchase some olhausen white pudding??? tasty stuff, trouble is don't know where they sell it anymore. After the tesco hoors decided they wont to sell it anymore; and many other tasty irish pork products for that matter. i think its enough for a declaration of war..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yama wrote: »
    but the best white pudding I know is from FX Buckley butchers on Talbot Street in Dublin,

+1, lovely stuff altogether.

Advertisement