Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bath & shower

• 30-12-2009 5:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭

Following on from my thread about new tiles we are also hoping to get a new bath and shower at the same time as doing tiling.

Wondering if theres anything specific we should be looking out for when buying baths? We were looking in B&Q today and was confused by how they have a 'take away' range which is a fraction of the price of their order in range but not sure what the difference would be. These were the two we looked at.... one is 175 pre sale and one is 550 so massive price difference. There is a difference of 5mm in width but doubt that could be worth nearly 400 eur extra!

Take Away cheaper range

Order in range, more expensive

The sale might be over by time we buy so not swayed by sale prices at the moment (will just be bonus if we do get that).
    Am hoping to visit a local plumbing centre that sell baths etc but they're closed this week so wondering if there are things we should be looking out for when looking at baths at the moment?
    Ideally want one thats wider at one end like the ones above.

Also, we have an electric shower at the moment but its fairly old and not very powerful. Think we'd like to stick with electric for the handiness of them but any suggestions on good powerful electric ones and again what we should be looking at when looking at specs?

Thanks in advance, totally clueless :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

If it can be fitted I always rec people consider a double ended bath.

I call it the family bath.

If you have 2 kids you can bath them at both ends without the fighting about over the taps(These are in the middle.)

Then when the kids are off to bed yourself and herself can do the same.

Like I said the family bath

These generally come in to sizes 1800 x 800 and 1700 x 750

If you are putting an electric shower over they bath or any shower I would not get one with a flat edge as the bathscreens do not seal very well on them. Really if you are using it as a shower nothing beats a steel bath for durabiliuty.

Always remember most baths have to be drilled for tap holes except contract baths so if your bath has tap holes its prob the cheapest and not necessarilary the best.

Do not buy a bath shower mixer if you are fitting a shower. Consider a click clack waste.

Note: The bath should be fitted before the tiling and very important its level set the right height and battoned to the wall. This can be a costly mistake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Will have a look for those family baths when we're out again, not sure if one will fit as its quite a small room, but can see.

Same guy is doing the plumbing and tiling so he should be ok with the order of what to do.
    Reckon we'll only be in this house for another 3 or 4 years so dont need something thats going to be massively durable - no kids at the mo either, just myself and himself but that may change! Just want something to smarten up the room and that will be a bit bigger for standing at the shower end than the current bath.

Both the cheap and expenisve bath in B&Q didnt have tap holes so that should be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

No big mystery with difference in prices, if its in stock its ready to go, if they have to order additional cost comes into it, having it delivered to shop, stored etc.

Bathroom stuff is up to you really, its your taste. Only thing I can mention is watch out for non standard bathroom suites, I've seen stuff coming in from Italy to Mexico, looks great, can be a bit of trouble to get running right to suit our plumbing system. After all is running, a few months, years down the line, when they need maintenance, you might have some trouble finding parts to replace.

One bathroom range I will never use is Vogue, even if a customer bought suite it would take a lot of persuasion for me to fit a Vogue suite.

They have this free standing, light plastic shower tray, its designed to be fitted after tiles which is a massive no. If you fit it before tiles to save from shower leaks, shower door will not match up.

Vogue basins have overflow issues, I test basin overflows before finishing job, Vogue basin with plug in, filled to overflow, water started come out through holes under basin, all over floor.

Called Vogue out, they replaced basin, fitter never fixed basin to wall, only used silicone, left a mess over wall, also used to much silicon to seal waste in basin, ended up everywhere. After all was done, basin still overflowed onto floor. Problem was their pop up wastes, not machined out to allow overflow to flow into waste.

Might be all a bit much for you to read, just writing all this up as people do read these.

Best of luck.

The above comment is slanderous and untrue. the problem you mention can happy with any company a good plumber would spot this.

I am sorry I STRONGLY disagree and

Thanks, just wasn't sure if we were missing something major that was the reason for the difference in price. Doubt we will still be in this house in a few years time so just looking for something relatively cheap and that will last for a few years.

Not getting a separate shower - no room for it, its just a shower in the bath, and probably not going to even get new toilet, sink fittings as the ones there are fine and white so just the bath, actual shower and tiles we are after.

• Advertisement

sillysocks wrote: »
    Thanks, just wasn't sure if we were missing something major that was the reason for the difference in price. Doubt we will still be in this house in a few years time so just looking for something relatively cheap and that will last for a few years.

Not getting a separate shower - no room for it, its just a shower in the bath, and probably not going to even get new toilet, sink fittings as the ones there are fine and white so just the bath, actual shower and tiles we are after.

B&Q is your best bet so.... If you want advice on what your buying just ask. Stay away from there taps though most are high pressure. This only really matters if you are buying a bath shower mxr. The basin mxr will be slower but fine.

btw. I have a contact that does suites cheap if you want to compare let me know and will pass you the detail

The above comment is slanderous and untrue. the problem you mention can happy with any company a good plumber would spot this.

I am sorry I STRONGLY disagree and

Benefit of doubt would'nt go a miss Joey, but no bother, used to it at this stage.

You have a right to your own opinion same as I do.

The above post is my experience with Vogue suites and Vogue fitters, its all true, I've seen many people talking about different company's on boards, either promoting or turning people away, just carrying on with tradition.

Cant beat B&Q all the same, about the taps and stuff, B&Q have standard gravity ranges also, same system here as in UK.

I'd go for a bath shower mixer even if electric is above shower, women wanting to wash hair etc, handy for the kids to. Will save from turning on shower in those cases. Click wastes are a great idea, empty bath as your getting out by foot etc, only problem drainage is slower than waste with plug removed.

Following on from my thread about new tiles we are also hoping to get a new bath and shower at the same time as doing tiling.

Wondering if theres anything specific we should be looking out for when buying baths? We were looking in B&Q today and was confused by how they have a 'take away' range which is a fraction of the price of their order in range but not sure what the difference would be. These were the two we looked at.... one is 175 pre sale and one is 550 so massive price difference. There is a difference of 5mm in width but doubt that could be worth nearly 400 eur extra!

Take Away cheaper range

Order in range, more expensive

The sale might be over by time we buy so not swayed by sale prices at the moment (will just be bonus if we do get that).
    Am hoping to visit a local plumbing centre that sell baths etc but they're closed this week so wondering if there are things we should be looking out for when looking at baths at the moment?
    Ideally want one thats wider at one end like the ones above.

Also, we have an electric shower at the moment but its fairly old and not very powerful. Think we'd like to stick with electric for the handiness of them but any suggestions on good powerful electric ones and again what we should be looking at when looking at specs?

Thanks in advance, totally clueless :D

Plenty of good electric showers available all depends on budget, best advice I can give is find a shower with longest guarantee that matches your budget, if you have two choices within your budget, one looks better but the other has a longer guarantee, I'd go for the one that has longer guarantee.

Some electric showers are very sensitive to water quality, by sound of your post, your shower is old, so you could have good water where you are, your options have opened up more.

Showers, you should buy them local, better for service should something need replacing under guarantee.

No! No benefit I can explain the problem in Detail. I worked for vogue. It was incorrect reading of instructions by plumbers. This was a proven fact. As for the basins they all come from china Now... All. I have to respect you but careless talk cost jobs and you are careless.

If you read the instructions correctly on these doors you discuss you will realise that if you use heavy grade porc they are a brilliant door.

items wrote: »
    Benefit of doubt would'nt go a miss Joey, but no bother, used to it at this stage.

You have a right to your own opinion same as I do.

The above post is my experience with Vogue suites and Vogue fitters, its all true, I've seen many people talking about different company's on boards, either promoting or turning people away, just carrying on with tradition.

Cant beat B&Q all the same, about the taps and stuff, B&Q have standard gravity ranges also, same system here as in UK.

I'd go for a bath shower mixer even if electric is above shower, women wanting to wash hair etc, handy for the kids to. Will save from turning on shower in those cases. Click wastes are a great idea, empty bath as your getting out by foot etc, only problem drainage is slower than waste with plug removed.

No! No benefit I can explain the problem in Detail. I worked for vogue. It was incorrect reading of instructions by plumbers. This was a proven fact. As for the basins they all come from china Now... All. I have to respect you but careless talk cost jobs and you are careless.

If you read the instructions correctly on these doors you discuss you will realise that if you use heavy grade porc they are a brilliant door.

Again benefit of doubt Joey, I fitted two of those showers in same house, only had one on site no instructions came with it. Fitted as I norm do, before tiling.

Second shower came, low and behold, instructions so I fitted as per instructions against tilers will.

Later on came to finishing job, had trouble with door on first shower but with some imagination I was able to fit it, all I had to do was trim off shower door, depth of tile and adhesive.

Second shower, fitted as per instruction, had my doubts over only a silicone/rubber seal to prevent leakage from shower fitted after tile, but went ahead none the less.

Water on time, first shower, not a single problem.

Second shower, riddled with leaks.

Along with shower leaking shower came basin, both fitted as per instructions, thats why Vogue came out, if I didn't fit right, they would'nt have. All they did was, you know about basin, but shower, again just plastered the already silicone sealed rubber with more silicone. As you can imagine, not the best thing to be looking at after forking out small fortune.

Another Vogue problem, same house. Vogue sales person advised homeowner bath could be piped off 1.5 ST booster pump. I mentioned to home owner not a great idea but from advice of sales person, home owner wanted it, no ifs or buts.

Pump later failed, then trouble arose as it was piped to supply bath, Vogue then played a pass the book game saying staff member had left.

In the end, I had to take out leaking tray and fit against instruction by fitting before tile, tiles door, whole lot had to come off. Had to re pipe hot press so new pump could be fitted not providing bath.

Homeowner mentioned the matter would be taken further, not in my direction.

I worked with Vogue throughout entire episode, never any trouble, got on well with Vogue female rep. All trouble was between homeowner and Vogue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Certain statements about companies are allowed on boards that fall under the legal heading of 'fair comment', meaning if a person has direct and true dealings with a company or product then they can put them down in black and white once they can stand over them. I understand that you might not like what items has to say about this company, but they are direct experiences that he has had. If the company itself is not happy with these comments then it is up to them to contact the site directly to have them removed.

Joey you worked for Vogue, thats handy, i went with a very lovely Vogue whirlpool jobby, it's a year and half old the pump still runs, but I've lost my bubbles and i only have flow trough a couple of jets, Joey how do i get me bubbles back? Gary.

delly wrote: »
    Certain statements about companies are allowed on boards that fall under the legal heading of 'fair comment', meaning if a person has direct and true dealings with a company or product then they can put them down in black and white once they can stand over them. I understand that you might not like what items has to say about this company, but they are direct experiences that he has had. If the company itself is not happy with these comments then it is up to them to contact the site directly to have them removed.

Delly again with respect its slander the the doors and trays the plumber discusses have clear instructions. In fact if the door and tray instruction is followed it actually give you the benefit of selecting a thicker porce tile onto the tray which as any plumber and tiler knows is great because its a bitch to fit a tray then have a thick tile kick it out. This tray done away with that. But because plumbers hammered away with there common knowledge rather than read instructions they done what they considered to be right and not what the instruction says.

Is this the personel experience your talking about

Vogue added an additional tray to that range 2 years ago and what they do now is give 2 options. The traditional embedded tray or the one we are discussing. So tbh the plumber is incorrect.

One the basis of the basins. Any plumber will tell you there is always a possability of a warped basin. At the peak of the boom vogue sold so many of these you would not believe it. I would not be lying if i said 1 in 5000 came back. If the plumber makes the waste before fitting the basin as is common practice this problem will be spotted.

The vogue rep did not fit the basin to the wall because no service rep will. They will fix the problem. Not do the job

Again we are talking products which cost 1500 for a door. This is not the personal experience you discuss this is fact based on sales. I am years out of there and I still use there product. I could complain about aspects of service but not the product.

gary71 wrote: »
    Joey you worked for Vogue, thats handy, i went with a very lovely Vogue whirlpool jobby, it's a year and half old the pump still runs, but I've lost my bubbles and i only have flow trough a couple of jets, Joey how do i get me bubbles back? Gary.

It sounds like the air hose has disconnected on the pump. If you phone Dave thomas he will explain how to fit it. I will PM you all the details.

For the record. I am long gone out of vogue To the op. I reckon vogue has been tainted in your mind I am sorry for this. B&Q is the cheapest and like I said its all chinese. You should not get problems just make sure the taps are low pressure. I am supplying and fitting both

items wrote: »
    Again benefit of doubt Joey, I fitted two of those showers in same house, only had one on site no instructions came with it. Fitted as I norm do, before tiling.

Second shower came, low and behold, instructions so I fitted as per instructions against tilers will.

Later on came to finishing job, had trouble with door on first shower but with some imagination I was able to fit it, all I had to do was trim off shower door, depth of tile and adhesive.

Second shower, fitted as per instruction, had my doubts over only a silicone/rubber seal to prevent leakage from shower fitted after tile, but went ahead none the less.

Water on time, first shower, not a single problem.

Second shower, riddled with leaks.

Along with shower leaking shower came basin, both fitted as per instructions, thats why Vogue came out, if I didn't fit right, they would'nt have. All they did was, you know about basin, but shower, again just plastered the already silicone sealed rubber with more silicone. As you can imagine, not the best thing to be looking at after forking out small fortune.

Another Vogue problem, same house. Vogue sales person advised homeowner bath could be piped off 1.5 ST booster pump. I mentioned to home owner not a great idea but from advice of sales person, home owner wanted it, no ifs or buts.

Pump later failed, then trouble arose as it was piped to supply bath, Vogue then played a pass the book game saying staff member had left.

In the end, I had to take out leaking tray and fit against instruction by fitting before tile, tiles door, whole lot had to come off. Had to re pipe hot press so new pump could be fitted not providing bath.

Homeowner mentioned the matter would be taken further, not in my direction.

I worked with Vogue throughout entire episode, never any trouble, got on well with Vogue female rep. All trouble was between homeowner and Vogue.

Items with respect your a plumber and qualified. I am not getting into any more talk about why this statement is wrong. The damage is already done IMO. If you asked me a question I would tell you whats wrong but to do it the way you do is wrong.

gary71 wrote: »

Gary, seen that prob a few times. No bubbles means no air, some whirlpool baths have a small vent / opening with an exposed adjustable cap, should be open, sometimes it ends up tightened down, not allowing air into pump. I've seen air hose not even attached to pump, pump can still draw in air to aerate water. If your pumps running, might be blockage.

Some whirlpool ranges have pressure water / aerated water activated by separate blow / air switches. Might be a case where, small bore pipe has come off air switch, if you can remove bath panel handy, have a look for dangling hose near air switch, easy job to re attach.

Just a small update, had the plumber over during the week who confirmed that the cheapest bath was actually the only one we could get as it was slightly shorter than the others and we needed that length.

So went to B&Q today, managed to get the showerbath, a curved screen to go with it, and a Triton T90xr (chrome) for €447 so think we did quite well!
    The plumber/tiler is starting Monday so thanks all for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 james1912

hi really liked the comments. just need a feedback about a company.

i am tiling my bathroom and kitchen and i am buying my tiles http://www.thetiledepot.co.uk/ .. they are providing a free plumber and tiler with it..

has anyone had any experience with this compnay

thanks in advance

james1912 wrote: »
    hi really liked the comments. just need a feedback about a company.

i am tiling my bathroom and kitchen and i am buying my tiles http://www.thetiledepot.co.uk/ .. they are providing a free plumber and tiler with it..

has anyone had any experience with this compnay

thanks in advance

you get nothing for free in this life and if by some chance I am wrong you can be its not a good job or a very expensive price... I get the feeling this is a very dodgy offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 james1912

thanks for ur response

their prices seems ok.. this was a christmas or new year offer. I know there r no free lunches was just enquiring abt company.. thansk for replying

Bathroom work is finished today (glad to get our shower back in action and not have to go the gym or parents in law for a shower!)
    Anyway thought I'd update with a few pics, delighted with the job that was done, and think we got it done for a reasonable price so happy all round. Thanks all for the advice, here and on the tiles thread.

Few before and after so you can see the diff. Flash has made one of the after pics a lot whiter than it is in real life.

102702.JPG

102703.JPG

102705.JPG

102707.JPG

102708.JPG

• Advertisement

Well done, tidy job. Your bathroom has gone from 1980's to 2010 in just a few days. Prices seem keen for quality of suite / work so I'd be a proud bathroom owner if the above was mine. Floor to ceiling tiles keeps bathroom looking fresh and new for many year.

Not sure what down lighters you have? as long as they are sound to use in bathroom all is fine.

The workmen said they were very surprised at the quality of the bath/shower screen for that price. They couldn't believe we'd paid so little for them.

The spotlights are LED lights and were told they were bathroom suitable anyway! Just have to trust that I suppose.

Total cost for labour and literally everything you see in the room from tiles down to plug in the bath was 2,800 eur. Was fairly happy with that, esp for the finish the workmen have on everything.

Now we just have to update every other room in the house to come up to the same standard :-)

Sounds good, no electrician but have found some down lighters blowing over shower due to steam and condensation. LED's are a lot different than reg halogen bulb's thats all I know, judging from quality of work, looks like workers know their stuff so pay no attention.

B&Q can throw out a lot of surprises, had you not of mentioned it, workers would never of known, apart from wrapping, boxes etc. Big fan of the place myself, tend to go their first now, where as I would of went last before. Fitting my own kitchen, up there today to buy second length of the same counter top, cost even less than last time.

Next stop for you is IKEA in Belfast to kit out other rooms.

A very nice job. I love the aspirante(t90 silver) but its a bit expensive for my taste. Its great what they have done with the bath. Its far better than the panel.

If you have any tiles spare keep them. You can store them out of the way under the kitchen kickboards. There are many reasons you might need them but no need to go into it looking at such a nice job..

Maybe some of you plumber folk can help with a question I have on the new bathroom....

We got the sink & toilet in a local plumbing supplies place and there was a one tap mixer included with the sink. The pressure coming from that seems to be quite reduced from what it was on the old taps (2 seperate taps). Would this just be something to do with the type of tap it is or should the pressure still be the same? There is still enough pressure for it to be ok, but just wondering why it would have dropped quite a bit?

New tap is something like this

architeckt-como-single-lever-2798-15644m.jpg

Taps are prob constructed in a way to work off higher pressure. Your old taps looked like standard gravity taps.

If you can see under basin, have a look at tap hoses, if they are small, 8 to 10 mm then that's why you have a different flow than your used too.

Your old taps were 1/2 so both taps have different inlet sizes, different inlet means different outlet when working from just gravity.

One thing to try, screw off the silver cap @ end of spout, sometimes after works finished, drained water then returned can sometimes move some debris into pipe work, cap should screw out by hand, have a look once its out and run tap.

Its a high pressure tap as items says. If you can leave with the slowness as you hardly fill the basin i am sure and mainly use the tap for teeth briushing it would work out better.

If you cannot live with the slowness there is lots of low pressure alternatives which cost around the 120 euro mark. You will actually get them cheaper in a providers.

If you want one pm me i know a provider in dublin does them cheap.

Really though I would live with it. Look on the bright side if the kids leave the tap on it will take a while to overflow

Thanks all,
    Had a look at the hoses and they do look to be quite narrow - it looks like there's a slightly wider hose connecting into a smaller hose which goes into the taps so guessing thats the reason.

Its not a major problem, as you say Joey the lips all we use it for is washing hands and teeth really but was just curious as to why it would happen.

Thanks again, great to get some opinions easily!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Thanks all,
    Had a look at the hoses and they do look to be quite narrow - it looks like there's a slightly wider hose connecting into a smaller hose which goes into the taps so guessing thats the reason.

Its not a major problem, as you say Joey the lips all we use it for is washing hands and teeth really but was just curious as to why it would happen.

Thanks again, great to get some opinions easily!

nice job you got done there :) ,
    Make sure your hoses aren't kinked ,sometimes they can kink when they're being tightened.

Also ,re posts in this thread about vogue. Vogue do some lovely bathroom stuff ,some of it is akward to fit ,but never had any trouble with leaks etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

102702.JPG

102705.JPG

Looks well finished sillysocks. I like that the pan was moved to remove the internal boxing. Something i really hate.

Advertisement