Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip - Elbow Scores

Options
  • 30-12-2009 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

OK hear this banded about, and i know it has to do with a dogs hind legs (or is it front as well) and also know that GS's suffer from poor hip's/elbows - but how do you actually get it measured and what does it measure - assume this is a Vet thing so likely to cost, but how much?

reason I ask, i've noticed the rescue GS we got in August is "sensitive" about her back legs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

This is done by a vet and involves getting the hips and elbows x-rayed and then sent to the UK to be scored. They can only be scored in the UK by the BVA as Ireland doesnt do it.
    Hips are back legs and elbows are front ones, you can get one or other or both done, up to you. I only got my rotties hips done.

Each breed has an average score so you would be aiming for below the average for it to be a good score. It is measured on how good the socket is in the hip joint and if theres any dysplacia there or any degree of it.

The vet charges a fee to sedate the dog and take the x-rays (about 100euro approx) then the BVA charge you too, think thats about £35. It takes about 6 weeks or so to get the results back from the BVA.

The x-rays can only be submitted once for scoring so you need to make sure that the x-rays you get done are good ones and i highly recommend you go the the Vet College in dublin to get them done as they are very experienced in doing this procedure.

Dogs should only be hip/elbow scored from a year old and onwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

fantastic reply andreac - thanks

is there a reason why it can't be done in Ireland? not that i have a problem with sending money over to the UK (as I am from there)

is the €100 for one set, i.e. just the hips?

Paul its only the British Vet Assoc in the UK that can grade them at the mo. I dont know why its only the UK that do them but they were the ones that set up the whole thing so maybe thats why its still only there that you can send them to be scored.

Sorry, the €100 is only the hips, its prob a bit more to get both hips and elbows done. But if you ring the vet college in UCD they can tell you the exact price for both and also the BVA price for getting both scored.

Oh i just found a link for you:
    http://www.bva.co.uk/canine_health_schemes/Hip_Scheme.aspx

It gives a list of all the scores for all breeds on there too.

just read this on that link
    As from January 1st 2010 CHS certificates will only be issued if your dog has been permanently identified (microchip or tattoo). The permanent identification will be verified before the eye or radiography examination takes place. So from this date identification and registration documents are both required for CHS certification.

it's good to see enforcement of the microchip - the tattoo is new to me though, although i have three myself - how do they tattoo dogs?

Oh i didnt see that. Not sure about the tattoo thing, but prob just as it is, the mark the skin with a permanent thing. I think its for people who lose their dogs and can be indentified. But ive heard of tattoo'd dogs having the ears cut off (think thats where they tattoo, but not 100%) if they are stolen so not nice.

• Advertisement

the scores are interesting reading - Irish Wolfhound one of the lowest at 6 (only the Saluki at 5 lower) highest is the Bulldog at 45

the lower the score the better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I paid 180 + the £35 to have my Otterhound hipscored and he didn't even have to be sedated.

Advertisement