Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Presents

Options
  • 30-12-2009 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭

So did anybody get any new toys for xmas??? i got a Dakota water stone grinder. theres some edge on my chisels now!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I got one of those 'EXACT' saws..........dont know what they're like, havent used it yet! Want to swap?? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

Exact saw: very thin kerf, but the on/off trigger is a PITA. Needs to be hooked up to a dust extractor or the motor will burn out. Good concept,poor execution.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

got one of those bosch all rounders 10.8v cordless. the sander/ saw tile remover etc. good yoke for trimming skirting for built in units and the like or for flooring

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I bought myself a nice Estwing straight claw hammer for €20, how exciting is that? However I did make myself a nice beech mallet yesterday, just to get out of the house!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

I got a dewalt laser level for christmas! Very happy with it!

• Advertisement

I bought myself a nice Estwing straight claw hammer for €20, how exciting is that? However I did make myself a nice beech mallet yesterday, just to get out of the house!

Ah well, the simple things and all that! I wouldnt mind having a nice Estwing hammer, a bit of quality, you know, instead of those 'Nutool' or 'Draper' hammers.....:p

Any pics of the mallet??

Here's the mallet:

It's nothing special; head is made from a block of beech firewood which was air dried for a year (ends painted to prevent cracking), the handle is made from oak, not the best choice but I didn't have any ash. Well oiled with a mixture of boiled linseed oil and turpentine (not white spirit), really soaks into the wood this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

Here's the mallet:

It's nothing special; head is made from a block of beech firewood which was air dried for a year (ends painted to prevent cracking), the handle is made from oak, not the best choice but I didn't have any ash. Well oiled with a mixture of boiled linseed oil and turpentine (not white spirit), really soaks into the wood this way.

that looks great!!

Aye, nice job indeed JOA! Its great being able to use a tool that you made yourself! I hope you put your mark/date on it so your GG-Grandkids can trace it back to you! :o

I didn't bother with marking it; it wasa prototype- I have a few more beech logs set aside in the loft for the next "better" mallet! Thanks for the comments.

• Advertisement
Advertisement