Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to get the rights to make a miniature of an old farm tractor?

Options
  • 30-12-2009 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,
    Can anybody tell me how to get the rights to manufacture and sell miniature scale models of an old tractor? The original company that made the particular full size tractor has since gone out of business years ago. I would really like to make a couple of models in say 1:24 scale die cast or plastic...
    Any ideas?
    thx
    le

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Echlin W

If they are out of business it's not gonna, come back at you.

What make and model do you want to do.

Where are you from?

How much if you are selling?

Thanks, Echlin

• Registered Users Posts: 24,494 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Had a good bit written and then re-read you post and realised it said something entirely different to what I thought :o

The only potential issue I see is if they company stopped trading and still exists rather than closing or if the brand was bought by someone else when they closed, someone may still be the owner and not take kindly to you reproducing their product without permission. I think this is a fairly doubtful scenario though.

An hour googling the companies details should get you enough info to see if they're still around at all, or whether another brand bought over them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

I would start by writing to the accountants that did the liquidation, as these rights would have been an asset and most likely have been sold on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Important aspects of design registration are:
    1. It provides monopoly protection and has similar novelty features to those that apply in the patent system.
    2. The Design Act, which came into force in July 2002, provides among other things that protection is now for the design itself rather than the product. Graphic symbols, which were not previously allowable, are provided for in the Act. Companies may therefore register brands and logos under these provisions in addition to what can be done under trade mark law.
    3. European Community Registered Design - This is akin to the Community Trade Mark and permits a design to be simultaneously registered in all EU countries by means of a single application.
    4. Unregistered Design Rights - These provide for a short term form of copyright in three dimensions for industrial designs. In the UK, it is specifically provided for in national legislation and has a term of ten years from the time that the product was placed on the market. Copying of spare parts does not infringe such design rights. A recent EU regulation (in force in Ireland since March 2002) has introduced a design right in EU countries other than the UK but the term is three years.
    http://www.enterprise-ireland.com

Advertisement