Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family History

Options
  • 30-12-2009 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I am to trace trying relatives of a Frederick Johnson who died in WW1. He was from Clonmel and enlisted in Nenagh.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 winterchickens

[FONT=&quot]JOHNSON, FREDERICK. Rank: Shoeing Smith. Regiment or Service: Household Cavalry and Cavalry of the line including the Yeomanry and Imperial Camel Corps. Unit; 6th Dragoons (Inniskillings). Date of Death: 6-4-1915. Service No: 3935. Born in Clonmell. Enlisted in Nenagh while living in Clonmel. Died. Supplementary information; Brother of Mr A Johnson, 41 Barrack Street, Waterford. Grave or Memorial Reference: 1. A. 75. Cemetery: Longuenesse( St Omer) Souvenir Cemetery in France.Check the 1911 census and take it from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 nisheain

Many thanks, but I have this information. My grandfather is the A Johnson but he does not appear to have a brother Frederick. That's why I am trying to trace direct relations of Frederick and hence my fathers family. There is no information in the 1911 census that I can find.

When Fred died his family were sent the 'form of final verification' by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. This was filled out by his next of kin and returned. The information regarding his brother was on that form otherwise it would not have been included with his burial details. He is not in any of the three Tipperary newspapers of that period.
    Regards.

Again you have been very helpful. Many thanks. Do you think a copy of this form would be in the British Army archives? I have tried to access his enlistment record in ancestry.com but was not successful.
    You seem to be an expert in this area.

Believe it or not Ancestry.com and the LDS site are not the be-all and end-all of research.I liken them to wikipaedia. You can load anything you want on to them and they will accept it as fact. The Commonwealth Wargraves Commission is an independant entity from the British Army, I have never heard or seen an original filled out 'letters/forms of final verification'. You must arrange a researcher to look for you at the Public Research Office in Kew, Kent where the remaining ww1 records are held. Ancestry has a lot of them and in their transcriptions of them have made errors that have not yet been corrected, the worst of which is where they have mixed the place of enlistment with the place of residence. Get a researcher to dig out the actual papers in Kew, copy them and send them to you that way you will know its not someones rushed transcription of them.
    The first and last thing to remember when researching the past is....assume nothing.
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Advertisement

Hi Tom,
    I will do as you suggest. You have been very helpful.

Many thanks again,

Maria

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭wjrobin64

try the online index of the kew archives !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭RachPie

http://www.irish-roots.ie/tipperary-north.asp

Could be of a little help there!

Advertisement