Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Marys Finally bought by Corperation.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭odin_ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

That's good news. It's a shame that it's been more or less left to rot for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

It's an absolute disgrace what has been done to this site in the last few years. But at the same time it's seriously exciting that it's going to be restored and reopened. It's in a perfect position in the city and there's so many good things that could be done with the site. Our much needed arts centre could be installed there for one.

St. Mary's Church Hall is a seriously underutilised space, it's great to see it's going to be handed over to the public rather than the 4 middle aged ladies who play squash there every Thursday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

Threadhead wrote: »
    But at the same time it's seriously exciting that it's going to be restored and reopened. It's in a perfect position in the city and there's so many good things that could be done with the site.

Im not sure about the plan that they have for the place in the conservation report though the main idea as far as i can remember was to knock open gate ways into the bounderys and have it as an open park to incourage a feeling of "community ownership" but i am not sure this will work as there is not that many people with views onto it and it would still need someone employed as a caretaker to lock it up at night and check it all over. As for the building I they want to clean it up and remove the stud walls and partitions but for general uses not just for an art space.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Glad it's being done up. I have 0 interest in art but I'd agree we could do with an arts centre. We have an arts festival and without an arts centre going to the Kilkenny Arts Festival is a bit like going to a dentist with no teeth.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Glad it's being done up. I have 0 interest in art but I'd agree we could do with an arts centre. We have an arts festival and without an arts centre going to the Kilkenny Arts Festival is a bit like going to a dentist with no teeth.

Perfect summation.

I just can't help but feel uncomfortable when Kilkenny trumps itself as one of the main arts centres in the entire country when it doesn't even have an actual arts centre! That's why I'd love to see one open up, so we can stop sounding stupid and yes, as Captain Havoc said, going to the dentist with no teeth.

Clonmel, Carlow, Waterford, Limerick, Wexford and Portlaoise all have fantastic arts centres (and in my biased opinion we have an awful lot more to be proud of in terms of our arts scene, with all credit due to those places). They have buildings with exhibition and gallery rooms, rehearsal space, performance spaces, cafes and restaurants and the means to hold talks, film screenings, seminars etc and in all fairness they're all well utilised and well managed. It still boggles my mind that Kilkenny doesn't have such a place.

St. Mary's would be a perfect location for such a centre and an ideal way to marry both the cultural and medieval aspects of Kilkenny's heritage.

And... rant ends.

Advertisement