Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There and back and in between,,,,

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thankfully in these times of greater mobility the word "neighbour" now has a much wider meaning, both for helping and for being helped.

As we know in truth and fact now.. so we face the next days well equipped and stocked, and can enoy the beauty freely.
    And we now havebe
    Mothman wrote: »
    Indeed....what goes round comes round...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Mothman wrote: »
    I disagree, she needs a friendly neighbour, you know the type that were widespread not so long ago but now seem to be an endangered species in some areas.

Her needs appear to be one trip per week (but can manage longer). Most winters, even at height not an issue to manage that throughout without 4WD. So the extra running costs that a 4WD inevitably bring just for the couple occasions....it doesn't add up...but then if the afformentioned breed is extinct, maybe it does add up...

I moved here 7 years ago. I am down a lane with 3 neighbours. When I arrived I started helping any of them whenever I could see a need & now they would all help me. But they wouldn't help each other !.

Part of it is down to pride & some is down to previous history. One of my clients is English. He has a big jeep & lives near the top of an icy hill. He has literally spent whole days pulling people out of trouble & has even had to dive in the hedge to avoid being run over by other locals in their big jeeps who have no intention of stopping.

I once spent a winter in a village in Kent that sits on a hill. The village was totally cut off by snow with drifts as high as the speed limit signs. Every one helped & I mean everyone. Those too old or frail to dig made tea & food. I have heard Brits refer to the Blitz Spirit & I saw loads of it. At one point a farmer appeared with a huge tractor. He took orders from all the villagers & then made a run down to the shops to get supplies for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Graces7 wrote: »
    Yep; I got laughed at y'day.. But we have people also in Nova Scotia and Newfie who are snowed in every winter.

But then this IS Ireland..Supposedly a mild and temperate climate.

An inch last night.. And yes bitter cold.

I used to live in Vancouver and if we'd get an inch, the city would come to a stand still. Rest of the country would laugh at us. Almost moved to NS but couldnt stand the thought of all that heavy snow.

Is that so? The laughter is coming from... VANCOUVER and BC in general!!

;)

Isn't that interesting!!! :D I wil have fun with this!!

Yes our folk are snowed in for three months every winter in NS and Newfie; whcih they call Little Ireland of course.

And yet; so am I now.. No difference in fact.
    ciaran67 wrote: »
    I used to live in Vancouver and if we'd get an inch, the city would come to a stand still. Rest of the country would laugh at us. Almost moved to NS but couldnt stand the thought of all that heavy snow.

Ireland is.. different. I understand why... All anyone can do is what your client does.

Yes, history of course

They are very clannish here too of course, and I am new.
    Discodog wrote: »
    I moved here 7 years ago. I am down a lane with 3 neighbours. When I arrived I started helping any of them whenever I could see a need & now they would all help me. But they wouldn't help each other !.

Part of it is down to pride & some is down to previous history. One of my clients is English. He has a big jeep & lives near the top of an icy hill. He has literally spent whole days pulling people out of trouble & has even had to dive in the hedge to avoid being run over by other locals in their big jeeps who have no intention of stopping.

I once spent a winter in a village in Kent that sits on a hill. The village was totally cut off by snow with drifts as high as the speed limit signs. Every one helped & I mean everyone. Those too old or frail to dig made tea & food. I have heard Brits refer to the Blitz Spirit & I saw loads of it. At one point a farmer appeared with a huge tractor. He took orders from all the villagers & then made a run down to the shops to get supplies for everyone.

• Advertisement

Is that so? The laughter is coming from... VANCOUVER and BC in general!!

;)

Isn't that interesting!!! :D I wil have fun with this!!

Yes our folk are snowed in for three months every winter in NS and Newfie; whcih they call Little Ireland of course.

And yet; so am I now.. No difference in fact.

Haa Van is famously awful when it snows. They're clueless.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

On the 4wd issue..... With a Suzuki car perhaps Grace would be in a situation to change for another Suzzy with some form of 4wd. Suzuki make a good selection of small 4wds including some small cars. (IIRC, Suzuki made the Wagon+ in 4wd for some markets.) Some older ones should be reasonably cheap. Even the first generation Honda CRV or Toyota RAV would be a bit step up in traction terms. It would all depend on finances to purchase. If annual mileage is small the extra running costs might be justified by the peace of mind. (Donegal, from the weather forecasts I hear, sounds like the kind of place where that might be more easily rationalised than others!)
    There needs to be some realism about what a 4wd can achieve......better traction but no extra help with stopping!
    Still both my wife and I were driving home last night in the first proper recent fall and we were both glad of our older, second-hand 4wds. Its a form of health insurance as we live in the country. My wife had a bad scare on ice a number of years ago and while it can be afforded we'll stay with 4wd for the family car.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Thank you for this.. Is it the small wheels on the wagonr? I drove a mini for decades and she would take icy hills backwards.
    BUT never have I seen roads like this before.

Other cars were getting through though

We have a good friend Susuki dealer and he will get my email soon.

The most alarming part was when she started sliding backwards down the hill ignoring gears and brakes totally. She went a few hundred yards like that... Steered her gently towards the side whereupon she finally stopped. Phew!

It took several attempts and a lot of gritting to get her up,. so it was not my driving... Another man tried and ended up sideways across the road.
    Made sure everyone knew that it was not me who did that

The bigger cars made it fine..

We shall see what the New Year brings us.

greysides wrote: »
    On the 4wd issue..... With a Suzuki car perhaps Grace would be in a situation to change for another Suzzy with some form of 4wd. Suzuki make a good selection of small 4wds including some small cars. (IIRC, Suzuki made the Wagon+ in 4wd for some markets.) Some older ones should be reasonably cheap. Even the first generation Honda CRV or Toyota RAV would be a bit step up in traction terms. It would all depend on finances to purchase. If annual mileage is small the extra running costs might be justified by the peace of mind. (Donegal, from the weather forecasts I hear, sounds like the kind of place where that might be more easily rationalised than others!)
    There needs to be some realism about what a 4wd can achieve......better traction but no extra help with stopping!
    Still both my wife and I were driving home last night in the first proper recent fall and we were both glad of our older, second-hand 4wds. Its a form of health insurance as we live in the country. My wife had a bad scare on ice a number of years ago and while it can be afforded we'll stay with 4wd for the family car.

I had a 4wd Grand Vitara in Canada and it was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If there ever was a case for snow chains then this is it.

Buy some good, easy fit ones and not necessarily the cheapest, because you will have to take them off everytime you hit the lowlands and put them back on again once you go up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Thank you for this.. Is it the small wheels on the wagonr? I drove a mini for decades and she would take icy hills backwards.
    BUT never have I seen roads like this before.

In general, smaller wheels result in increased torque delivered to the wheels (seen as acceleration) but a lower top speed once you get going.

Larger wheels do the reverse.

Too much torque (the oomph that twists the wheels and resists them being slowed down by resistance) in a low traction environment will cause them to spin once it excedes what the surface can be cope with.
    Counter-intuitively, changing up a gear may allow traction to be returned. As would reducing the accelerator pressure (you may have experienced this in a muddy spot as you try to pull off).
    If your engine can't cope going up a gear you may stall you so the accelerator has to be used but with caution.
    So 'yes' small wheels may not have helped but larger ones mightn't have solved your problems either.
    4wd may have got you further before running into problems......and that further may have got you home....or not.
    Full blown off-roaders have low range gears, like a tractor, which allow the speed of the wheels to be slowed right down (so as not to exceded the traction limits) without losing the 'beef' behind them- so they won't stall.

Reverse gear is usually lower than first so the wheels turn slower and the car is less likely to stall at the low revs needed to be used.

In a front wheel drive car this could be a useful trick as the weight of the engine is over the wheels being driven enhancing traction also.

We have a good friend Susuki dealer and he will get my email soon.

Depending on liquidity, the model of car I'd suggest would be SX4 in 4wd (probably would have to be new or nearly new!) or similar. Essentially a 2wd car that will become 4wd as required- probably without any driver input.

07.SuzukiSX4.1_(400x300).jpg

Or a Jimny 4x4, if you can live with it's size and ride. Proper 4wd with low ratios and available as a commercial (so cheaper) and probably available 2nd hand. Petrol only- mpg not going to be as good as a car.

suzuki_jimny_21_01_05.jpg

The older SJ models are probably too old, too rusted and too uncomfortable as a daily drive.............good fun to play in though! If one was in exceptional condition and caught your eye....................................and heart.........

suzukiSJ-02.jpg

Similar vehicles.....Mitsubishi Pajero JUNIOR

second_hand_cars_1998_MITSUBISHI_PAJERO_IO_N_A_SUV_68_800_KMs_RedII_Gasoline_RHD_GF_H66W.jpg

Daihatsu Fourtrak/Sportage.

daihatsu_fourtrak_25_11_04.jpg

Essentially these are only suggestions and more to the type of vehicle than the exact model. The first generation Honda CRV is worth checking out too.

1998_honda_cr-v.jpg

Toyota RAV4

toyota-rav4.jpg

You may prefer a slightly more 'butch' vehicle, (I've been making several assumptions as to your preferences in what's written above.......), some second generation diesel Pajeros may do the job nicely. Japanese imports can be cheap, in good nick and available. It would be more expensive again to run- get a commercial diesel- but would have low range gears.

mitsubishi-pajero-green.jpg
    The most alarming part was when she started sliding backwards down the hill ignoring gears and brakes totally. She went a few hundred yards like that... Steered her gently towards the side whereupon she finally stopped. Phew!

That could happen in a 4wd too.
    The bigger cars made it fine..
    Heavier, more momentum, more traction perhaps.
    Bigger bang when things go wrong though! Maybe stronger if they end up in tussle but the way things are made today.........................

Some of the bigger 4wds are very cheap in the current recession, running costs are higher and servicing more expensive. Against that.... low annual mileage (?), cheaper non-main dealer servicing and get a good reliable make and model to start with. You would need to look around carefully but they ARE there to be found.
    Smaller 4wds are likely to be more sought-after these days but older ones in good nick could be a good buy.

All of this is my own opinion and much of it could probably be disputed in detail/fact. I'm no expert on any of this. It's just a starting point if you are thinking in that manner.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Sorry if it came across wrong, as there seems to be an allegation here of poking fun which was certainly not my intent. Comments about Vancouver here are generally accurate, it's not that the population has no clue how to drive in snow, half of us are from other parts of Canada so we had lots of practice in it, but the other half tend to be from countries that never see snow and it's an observable fact that they have the most trouble in any snowstorms here. Also the ratio of snow clearance vehicles to roads tends to be much lower than in other Canadian cities, more like what I imagine it must be in Ireland, so when we do get a big storm, it takes ages to see any treatment of side streets here, they tend to go after the main roads only and hope that the snow will melt before they need to work on the side streets.

Usually that strategy works to some extent (leaving many side streets a total mess for 2-3 days) but last winter, we had a very unusual six weeks of heavy snow here, and the strategy failed miserably, by the time they tried to clear side streets, they were in complete chaos from the individual efforts of people parked along the streets, and the plows couldn't generally get down the streets at all. Neither could the garbage trucks or any other service vehicles.

But yes, the rest of Canada tends to laugh at Vancouver's snow situations, but once you get out beyond the downtown core, it tends to be much more similar to anywhere else in Canada and most people here put snow tires on their cars for the winter season, even if you don't need them in town, you certainly need them on any longer journeys.

Anyway, I apologize if I created any unintended impressions.

Ah no; it wasn;t anything you said.. I have "family" there and emailed them my photos! "Call that snow!"

And loud laughter..

Everything there is it seems bigger and faster and brighter than here.

So please worry not!

You are in BC?
    Sorry if it came across wrong, as there seems to be an allegation here of poking fun which was certainly not my intent. Comments about Vancouver here are generally accurate, it's not that the population has no clue how to drive in snow, half of us are from other parts of Canada so we had lots of practice in it, but the other half tend to be from countries that never see snow and it's an observable fact that they have the most trouble in any snowstorms here. Also the ratio of snow clearance vehicles to roads tends to be much lower than in other Canadian cities, more like what I imagine it must be in Ireland, so when we do get a big storm, it takes ages to see any treatment of side streets here, they tend to go after the main roads only and hope that the snow will melt before they need to work on the side streets.

Usually that strategy works to some extent (leaving many side streets a total mess for 2-3 days) but last winter, we had a very unusual six weeks of heavy snow here, and the strategy failed miserably, by the time they tried to clear side streets, they were in complete chaos from the individual efforts of people parked along the streets, and the plows couldn't generally get down the streets at all. Neither could the garbage trucks or any other service vehicles.

But yes, the rest of Canada tends to laugh at Vancouver's snow situations, but once you get out beyond the downtown core, it tends to be much more similar to anywhere else in Canada and most people here put snow tires on their cars for the winter season, even if you don't need them in town, you certainly need them on any longer journeys.

Anyway, I apologize if I created any unintended impressions.

Vancouverites struggle to drive when its 32c and sunny :D (joke! joke!)

Well Gordon Campbell does, especially round new years eve. M.T. Cranium will understand that one :)

Happy new year all!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Yep, I get that completely, our provincial premier was found a bit over the limit once upon a time in Hawaii at New Years while on holiday.

Yes, Grace, I do live near Vancouver, moved here fifteen years ago from snowier and colder Ontario. Glad I did, but the driving is not so great around here. Most people are okay but the bad ones are really bad.

WOW; what an amazing and expert mail.. Thank you.

As an impecunious pensioner, will wait now to see what out friend at Suzuki says and has.... He has been so very good to me.

This one is 98; he replaced the previous 94 we had.

May also get snow chains; is all academic just now of course until this weather eases. I am dubious as I do have limited mobility.

But something will be done and soon.

In general, smaller wheels result in increased torque delivered to the wheels (seen as acceleration) but a lower top speed once you get going.

Larger wheels do the reverse.

Too much torque (the oomph that twists the wheels and resists them being slowed down by resistance) in a low traction environment will cause them to spin once it excedes what the surface can be cope with.
    Counter-intuitively, changing up a gear may allow traction to be returned. As would reducing the accelerator pressure (you may have experienced this in a muddy spot as you try to pull off).
    If your engine can't cope going up a gear you may stall you so the accelerator has to be used but with caution.
    So 'yes' small wheels may not have helped but larger ones mightn't have solved your problems either.
    4wd may have got you further before running into problems......and that further may have got you home....or not.
    Full blown off-roaders have low range gears, like a tractor, which allow the speed of the wheels to be slowed right down (so as not to exceded the traction limits) without losing the 'beef' behind them- so they won't stall.

Reverse gear is usually lower than first so the wheels turn slower and the car is less likely to stall at the low revs needed to be used.

In a front wheel drive car this could be a useful trick as the weight of the engine is over the wheels being driven enhancing traction also.

Depending on liquidity, the model of car I'd suggest would be SX4 in 4wd (probably would have to be new or nearly new!) or similar. Essentially a 2wd car that will become 4wd as required- probably without any driver input.

07.SuzukiSX4.1_(400x300).jpg

Or a Jimny 4x4, if you can live with it's size and ride. Proper 4wd with low ratios and available as a commercial (so cheaper) and probably available 2nd hand. Petrol only- mpg not going to be as good as a car.

suzuki_jimny_21_01_05.jpg

The older SJ models are probably too old, too rusted and too uncomfortable as a daily drive.............good fun to play in though! If one was in exceptional condition and caught your eye....................................and heart.........

suzukiSJ-02.jpg

Similar vehicles.....Mitsubishi Pajero JUNIOR

second_hand_cars_1998_MITSUBISHI_PAJERO_IO_N_A_SUV_68_800_KMs_RedII_Gasoline_RHD_GF_H66W.jpg

Daihatsu Fourtrak/Sportage.

daihatsu_fourtrak_25_11_04.jpg

Essentially these are only suggestions and more to the type of vehicle than the exact model. The first generation Honda CRV is worth checking out too.

1998_honda_cr-v.jpg

Toyota RAV4

toyota-rav4.jpg

You may prefer a slightly more 'butch' vehicle, (I've been making several assumptions as to your preferences in what's written above.......), some second generation diesel Pajeros may do the job nicely. Japanese imports can be cheap, in good nick and available. It would be more expensive again to run- get a commercial diesel- but would have low range gears.

mitsubishi-pajero-green.jpg

Bigger bang when things go wrong though! Maybe stronger if they end up in tussle but the way things are made today.........................

Some of the bigger 4wds are very cheap in the current recession, running costs are higher and servicing more expensive. Against that.... low annual mileage (?), cheaper non-main dealer servicing and get a good reliable make and model to start with. You would need to look around carefully but they ARE there to be found.
    Smaller 4wds are likely to be more sought-after these days but older ones in good nick could be a good buy.

All of this is my own opinion and much of it could probably be disputed in detail/fact. I'm no expert on any of this. It's just a starting point if you are thinking in that manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

NB what did folk up here do before mobile phones!! I cannot afford to run one. They all have them...

Nokia mobile phone for 20 euro incl 10 free call credit and free delivery

http://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/product.php/778/1/nokia_1208/58980a926e6b35b6c8d7bb4bc3b43432

You need only top up once every few months by as little as you want, say 10 euro.

Ah I do have one; with just enough for an emergency call .

But on a pension. even E10 is hard to find at the rates of calls.
    So I do not run it

I last used it to freecall eircom when they lost my landline order.
    long_b wrote: »
    Nokia mobile phone for 20 euro incl 10 free call credit and free delivery

http://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/product.php/778/1/nokia_1208/58980a926e6b35b6c8d7bb4bc3b43432

You need only top up once every few months by as little as you want, say 10 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

Ah I do have one; with just enough for an emergency call .

But on a pension. even E10 is hard to find at the rates of calls.
    So I do not run it

I last used it to freecall eircom when they lost my landline order.

The big advantage for me of a mobile phone is the ability to use free webtext - I therefore keep in contact (in real time) with people all over the world for NOTHING! I send the text via the internet and receive the replies on my phone. Most operators offer a number of free webtexts per month - not all are international, but Vodafone and O2 are. I have 600 with Vodafone and can never use up that amount :D I have to top up once every 6 months to keep the phone activated but the minimum is 5, I think (could be wrong, might be 10). Great value Grace, especially if you have family abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

I'd just like to add that the Land Rover Defender (if well maintained) may be an excellent vehicle, the commercial version would allow cheaper tax (if you naturally are in a position to qualify to tax it comercially)

Bear in mind all the above advice regarding 4wd but if things do go wrong then the Defender is most likely to be relatively unharmed as will it occupant. They can easily be fitted with a winch which correctly used will be most advantageous in the situation Grace found herself in.

To gain real benefit from such a vehicle an appropriate course should be undertaken.

An older model commercial Defender will not be too expensive to acquire.

• Advertisement
Advertisement