Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the PC ultimately win the console war?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Maximilian wrote: »
    Actually, if this Cloud Gaming thing actually works, it will end up winning out in the end I think.

I think PC's will always have a place though.

It will be a long time before the technology is mature enough, and even longer until the infrastructure is up to standard. As fast as technology changes, I can't see this becoming a standard until the latter half of this century.
    The PC market is currently very niche

Lol
    Consoles are easier to develop for

also lol.

Azza wrote: »
    Again not saying that every pirated game is a lost sale or anything like that. The developers realise that themselves but even if only 5% of pirated PC games are lost sales thats still over 200,000 less copies sold.

Piracy at this stage has become nothing more than an excuse. Lazy publishers will at times blame piracy rather than own up to their own failings. Statistically speaking piracy is not well known at all, I don't believe any figures I see because there are so many vested interests involved in their acquisition (even so called 'academic studies' are often entirely funded by a publisher).

Secondly, it's also just as easy statistically to equate piracy with increased sales but you rarely ever hear people investigating this because of the vested interests in play. And it has been documented that piracy is a source of growth in other industries, Radiohead being popularised through Napster being the prime example.

Now I'm not saying Piracy doesn't have an impact, but I believe it has much less of an impact than publishers would have you believe.
    L31mr0d wrote: »
    In fact I'd predict that the line between a console and a gaming PC will be non existent within the next 2 generations. Any of the features left that are unique to a PC will disappear. The console looks set to become what the PC should of been nearly a decade ago, having a dedicated hardware platform with a modular OS on top of it. Why the console will win out is that it champions automation and simplicity over manual freedom and complexity.

You're on the right lines, but you have it the wrong way around. The console is becoming more like the PC. Where once it was a very very specific piece of hardware and developers had to code in assembly, nowadays developers have full x86 at their fingertips and a standard graphics pipeline as found in PCs. As PC hardware shrinks, the PC hardware edges out the consoles and the smaller devices, not the other way around.
    gizmo wrote: »
    The mere fact that former PC heavyweights such as iD and Epic are now designing their engines for consoles is proof of this.

Not necessarily. You have to remember, Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony get royalties for every title sold on their consoles. No one gets any for the PC (although MS have tried and failed with their games for windows sh*te). They push those platforms very very hard.

Anyway, onto my own wee contribution...

Through all this debate, people are ignoring the very obvious, the money. The leading platform will be the platform that generates the most cash. And, perhaps surprisingly, the PC is beginning to show strong signs of being the eventual victor.

I can no longer find the link on the bbc site, but there was a conference in Edinburgh earlier in the year that produced figures that showed the highest growth was in the PC games. Specifically pay as you play type ventures (in China mainly) seemed to be the only sector experiencing significant growth.

Secondly, development costs on consoles are going through the roof, and profits aren't following. MS only just hit the black with the 360, Sony is still in the red with the PS3 and while Nintendo is in the black with the wii, tie rates are so low that it may not be sustainable. A very worrying time for console makers.

Thirdly, look at farmville and other social networking/casual games. The games industry as we know it is evolving, the hardcore gamer who spends hundreds on hardware and AAA titles are no longer the big money maker. We will someday be the niche...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Take FPS for instance, the skill cap of a player is limited on the console due to the limited movement you have with a joypad. With a keyboard / mouse combination, that skill cap is much higher. You can be very very precise with your mouse. You can move your corsair much faster, with keybindings I find you can crouch and move better on a keyboard. Take into account how much a player plays on PC / Console. A console player will find the mouse / Keyboard combo difficult to master, while a PC player finds a console difficult to master.
    That's a very relevant example for me as whilst I've moved over to consoles for the majority of my gaming within the past 2 years, I still don't really like FPS games on consoles. I would have never gotten addicted to TF2 like I did on the PC if I was playing it on a console.

This brings me nicely onto another point about consoles and I think people have already been making it in this thread in relation to the hardware - in some respects, console games appeal to the lowest common denominator a lot more than a PC games do, and for this reason I don't see the PC 'ultimately winning the console war'. Consoles games are like Michael Bay films - they're expensive to make but make a lot of money because they're easy for the average Jane or Joe to pick up, understand and appreciate all the nice explosions. If we take some of the biggest selling console games, say Halo and Metal Gear, I'd say they fit the description quite well. Even the Final Fantasy games, which are some of the more complex biggest sellers of all time, are simplified with respect to other games within the same genre.

So if the biggest selling console games are epic and flashy, yet easy to understand and pick up, what are the biggest selling PC games? The Sims franchise is the biggest, and whilst it may appear simple the level of micromanagement is very typical of PC games (it seems fitting here to point out that the console versions of The Sims games are much easier and involve less micromanagement).

The Sims games also have a huge modding and creating community, demonstrating another difference between console games and PC games - the game experiences can expand beyond what the developer intended through mod support. Game modding is perhaps one of the greatest things about PC gaming, but surely it is easy to appreciate it is a more niche interest. One of my favourite console games, LittleBigPlanet, brings modding in the form of level creation to consoles in a much more user friendly format which is perhaps more appropriate for consoles. Modding a PC game requires a lot more dedication - something which is perhaps indicative of PC gamers in general.

Are PC games more complex because that's what PC gamers have always demanded? Do they sell more poorly because of this? Is the opposite true for consoles games and gamers (less complex, better sales)? Edit: As leninbenjamin points out, this is already coming true for the PC - the less complex social networking casual games are where the growth is on the PC it seems.
    As for the games, the gameplay itself is similar, but I find it much more realistic, entertaining and fulfilling on the PC. Overall, yes I think that the quality of games, the gameplay and choice of games is much better on the PC than any other console. I feel very limited when playing console games :(
    Couldn't we say that there are certain genres that excel on certain platforms compared to others? Perhaps the most accurate statement would be that we feel better served by the PC for certain genres? For me anyway this is true. I enjoy strategy games, MMOs and FPS games, genres which I fele are much better served by the PC. I also enjoy action adventure games, platformers, driving games, RPGs (particularly Japanese RPGs), shmups and fighting games, which I think work much better on consoles and handheld gaming devices. If you look at the biggest selling games in each genre, you'll see they match this platform breakdown. Apart from the FPS, MMO and strategy genres, the PC doesn't excel as well in as many genres as some of the consoles do, and for that reason I don't think the PC is winning the console war. Edit: However, the casual market has to be taken into account here, which the PC and iPhone, and to a lesser extent the Wii, DS and perhaps the PSP are also exploiting. The HD consoles are at least attempting to appeal to the casual market with new motion controllers, but it remains to be seen what this does for growing the user base.

If Valve and Blizzard weren't developing awesome games for the PC, what state would it be in?

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Piracy at this stage has become nothing more than an excuse. Lazy publishers will at times blame piracy rather than own up to their own failings. Statistically speaking piracy is not well known at all, I don't believe any figures I see because there are so many vested interests involved in their acquisition (even so called 'academic studies' are often entirely funded by a publisher).

Secondly, it's also just as easy statistically to equate piracy with increased sales but you rarely ever hear people investigating this because of the vested interests in play. And it has been documented that piracy is a source of growth in other industries, Radiohead being popularised through Napster being the prime example.

Now I'm not saying Piracy doesn't have an impact, but I believe it has much less of an impact than publishers would have you believe.

So basically you ignore evidence because it doesn't suit your viewpoint. The figures I pointed where not found by publishers but by an actual torrent site.
    I'm sure some academic studies are run by punblishers but that doesn't they all are funded by publishers or even if they are that they are untrue and biased. Go to a few torrent sites and look around its easy to see how large scale piracy is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Hercule wrote: »
    I am being very cautious of this thread - good luck mods, some heavy moderation will have to take place to stop it from being a fanboy train wreck

One thing strikes me with regards costs:

Id say most ppl in this discussion are "assuming" the cost of a TV or Monitor when comparing the cost of these machines

If including a monitor in the PC price -vs- Console price debate you should include the cost of a TV on top of the cost of the xbox elite

Add that to the costs incurred when the console software itself traditionally costs more then PC (not always the case I know). And as far as I recall, dont xboxs need monthly live subscriptions to play online?

From a purely selfish PC gamer perspective:
    PC gamers (like me) are traditionally willing to pay a higher premium on hardware for better quality (lower premium) software. As the difference between a "console game" and a "PC game" gets smaller - (or rather we stop getting PC games and just get watered down console games on PC) the demand for this high premium hardware is going down.

A testament to this is the console port that is CoD:MW2 (to my knowledge) does not appear as part of any "graphics card + game" bundles on PC - unlike most major FPS releases for the last decade.

In our lifetime neither medium has a definitive future - for the moment I look forward to at least another decade of great games on all both platforms :P

I didn't take the cost of the monitor in to account. I didn't even include the pc case and already got to 406. I reckon switching to an AMD based set up could bring the price down a bit. But 400 quid is still a good price for a machine that I think could out do the consoles.

The xbox subscription is 65 quid a year. PS3 is free.

Also bear in mind, with a 360 you don't get the wireless adapter. That's an extra 100 quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Lol

also lol.

*more rubbish*

It's cute that you think you know what your talking about, adorable really.

Consoles are easier to develop for, because fixed hardware is always less tricky to deal with than the constant moving target that is PC development. Claims to the contrary are just wishful thinking.

And you can spin whatever the hell you like about piracy just being some crazy conspiracy, by those oh-so-nefarious publishers, but it's just that. Crazy nonsense that should be saved for the CT forum.

• Advertisement

Consoles are easier to develop for, because fixed hardware is always less tricky to deal with than the constant moving target that is PC development. Claims to the contrary are just wishful thinking.

And you can spin whatever the hell you like about piracy just being some crazy conspiracy, by those oh-so-nefarious publishers, but it's just that. Crazy nonsense that should be saved for the CT forum.

Microsoft have made the 360 relatively easy to develop for but the ps3 is a different beast altogether. This is why it gets the short end of the stick with multi platform releases were devs don't put the extra effort in. It's also why valve have pretty much given up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Yes and no, while some of the figures may be questionable there fact of the matter is piracy is a significant problems. One need only look at the Modern Warfare 1-2 situation to see how some developers/publishers are reacting to piracy.
    There is a big difference between using the internet to promote a brand and some kid ripping a CD and uploading it to their favourite torrent site. While I do believe that the internet can be used far more in terms of marketing and distribution I do not believe it is the only solution or indeed, a viable alternative to the current setup.
    Not necessarily. You have to remember, Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony get royalties for every title sold on their consoles. No one gets any for the PC (although MS have tried and failed with their games for windows sh*te). They push those platforms very very hard.
    I'm not sure what this has to do with my point regarding Epic and iD switching their development muscle to consoles? :confused:
    I can no longer find the link on the bbc site, but there was a conference in Edinburgh earlier in the year that produced figures that showed the highest growth was in the PC games. Specifically pay as you play type ventures (in China mainly) seemed to be the only sector experiencing significant growth.
    These figures probably included casual gaming and MMOs such as WoW. However they are not reflective of the argument in favour of PC gaming on this thread.
    Secondly, development costs on consoles are going through the roof, and profits aren't following. MS only just hit the black with the 360, Sony is still in the red with the PS3 and while Nintendo is in the black with the wii, tie rates are so low that it may not be sustainable. A very worrying time for console makers.
    MS have been in the black with the 360 for some time and would have been there sooner had they not had to shell out for the extended RROD warranties. Sony are in the red due to their own stupidity with regards the hardware included in their design. Nintendo have, as far as I am aware, never made a loss on consoles. There is a distinct pattern here one should be able to see.
    Thirdly, look at farmville and other social networking/casual games. The games industry as we know it is evolving, the hardcore gamer who spends hundreds on hardware and AAA titles are no longer the big money maker. We will someday be the niche...
    Unfortunately true, however as long as big blockbusters such as Modern Warfare 2, Halo et all exist there will always be some time made for the AAA titles. :)

I didn't take the cost of the monitor in to account. I didn't even include the pc case and already got to 406. I reckon switching to an AMD based set up could bring the price down a bit. But 400 quid is still a good price for a machine that I think could out do the consoles.

The xbox subscription is 65 quid a year. PS3 is free.

Also bear in mind, with a 360 you don't get the wireless adapter. That's an extra 100 quid.
    You also need to reduce the hard drive down and get rid of the CPU cooler. Monitor shouldn't be included imo.

Those prices regarding the XBox sub and wireless adaptor are only applicable if you get the official gear in brick and mortar store. The Sub can be had for FAR less online and the adaptor is pointless since you could buy a nice little Linksys WRT54GL for cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

'Core' game sales are also on the rise however, and on a per title basis, I'm willing core games still take in more money. Besides, 'growth' does not necessarily mean big sales. Modern Warfare 2 made something like $550 million in 5 days, I don't think any casual games will reach that level of revenue for a long time.
    That's not true. Consoles are the biggest earners for a lot of publishers, e.g. EA. Besides, aren't we talking about money made from games, not hardware? I don't see how it could be a worrying time when the HD twins have great third party support and console sales are increasing year over year. These gains in sales are as a result of price cuts primarily so profits will be down for the short term but up in the long term. That's not even considering increased licensing revenue, sales of accessories and digitally distributed content.
    I don't think either market is a threat to the other - gaming is becoming more mainstream so what's were seeing is an expansion of the market, not casual games cannibalising the sales of 'core' games. If pay to play type ventures and core game sales are experiencing growth, the market is growing overall, not transforming into a casual one.

You also need to reduce the hard drive down and get rid of the CPU cooler. Monitor shouldn't be included imo.

Those prices regarding the XBox sub and wireless adaptor are only applicable if you get the official gear in brick and mortar store. The Sub can be had for FAR less online and the adaptor is pointless since you could buy a nice little Linksys WRT54GL for cheaper.

I dunno, I don't think I'd get a hard drive under 500GB at this stage. With the size of some game installs. The subscription price is the official one when you go through microsoft with a credit card.

The WRT54GL is a router. I was taling about the the wireless adapter at the back of the 360. Unless you're talking about something like this:
    http://timbermheay.wordpress.com/

• Advertisement

Well bearing in mind the drive in the 360 is a 2.5", there are plenty of drives under 500GB in that catagory. I only mention it because you need to be comparing like with like. :)

Yep, I know that's what the official price is, doesn't mean it's what you have to pay.

And yes, I'm aware the WRT54GL is a (wireless) router however when combined with the other hardware found in a home with broadband it can be used to preform the same functionality as the MS wireless adaptor (and then some) for considerably less.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Its probably worth bearing in mind that a lot of PC sales figures released don't include online digital download stores a lot of the time, so I think they can be misleading. Those online sales carry a bigger profit margin too. Having said that, console game sales no doubt still dwarf PC sales.

Interesting. Have you much experience yourself?

That was true 5 - 10 years ago, but my experience with the latest generation differs. Every tried developing for the Xbox360? Limited render targets compared to the PC limits the post processing effects one can add. Ever try programming for the Cell? it's not exactly a walk in the park...

And my views on piracy may be a grand conspiracy theory to you, but I can assure they were formed from my own research in the area and the difficulty in garnering hard cold facts on the issue that were not produced by a publisher whenever one of their AAA did less well than expected.
    Yes and no, while some of the figures may be questionable there fact of the matter is piracy is a significant problems. One need only look at the Modern Warfare 1-2 situation to see how some developers/publishers are reacting to piracy.

The problem isn't piracy itself, the problem is how they react to it. I'm not familiar with the MW situation you refer to above, but I will point to FM09. Now i don't have figures, but reading a lot of forums suggests that many people pirated the game instead of buying it primarily because of the excessive DRM that locked many users out.
    There is a big difference between using the internet to promote a brand and some kid ripping a CD and uploading it to their favourite torrent site.

Yes and no. Radiohead were never explicitly marketed in the U.S. their label turned their back on them as they felt they were too unfashinable, yet Kid A. charted purely because of piracy (top 10 i think? can't remember the specifics). Secondly, I'm sure we all have stories of friends and family who've only come across a famous artist/game which they now adore through piracy. There is as much evidence to suggest piracy can increase sales as there is to suggest it harms it, but certain people will always ignore this because it requires them to accept failings in their own business models.

The problem is a failure of the business models of the large houses to accept that piracy exists. For example, Nintendo nearly put themselves out of business because of choosing the cartridge over the CD for the N64, and I was always led to believe their primary motivation for sticking with cartridges was fear of piracy when it came to CDs.
    I'm not sure what this has to do with my point regarding Epic and iD switching their development muscle to consoles? :confused:

My point is there other reasons for the switch than the ones being debated.
    These figures probably included casual gaming and MMOs such as WoW. However they are not reflective of the argument in favour of PC gaming on this thread.

I don't follow. Why do casual games and MMOs not count? They are afterall the fastest growing sector of the games industry.
    MS have been in the black with the 360 for some time and would have been there sooner had they not had to shell out for the extended RROD warranties. Sony are in the red due to their own stupidity with regards the hardware included in their design. Nintendo have, as far as I am aware, never made a loss on consoles. There is a distinct pattern here one should be able to see.

Again, I don't follow. What is this pattern? Sony and MS struggling to make money.

And as for Nintendo, well Nintendo never made a loss on consoles that's true, but a sizeable reason is because sales were so phenomenally over initial estimates. And the reason for the large sales was because they targeted consumers who normally wouldn't purchase a console, consumers they are now struggling to encouraging to sustain their investment in the brand. Maybe I'm stark raving, but I thought I remembered reading recently enough that Nintendo lowered their financial projections?

GothPunk wrote: »
    'Core' game sales are also on the rise however, and on a per title basis, I'm willing core games still take in more money. Besides, 'growth' does not necessarily mean big sales. Modern Warfare 2 made something like $550 million in 5 days, I don't think any casual games will reach that level of revenue for a long time.

I'm not sure that's significant. Core means 360 and PS3? But these are associated with the least profitable platforms. On the other hand, Sales on the most profitable platforms of Nintendo are way down according to said article...

Revenue does not equate to profit. And it's profit, and more specifically profit margins that are important, because of it's significant to the return on investment. Perhaps I should have stressed this. And publishers profits for the 'core platforms' have been stagnating unless my info is out of date...

There is as much evidence to suggest piracy can increase sales as there is to suggest it harms it...
    That I do not accept in the slightest. In terms of music, one need only look at the fall in revenue in the US to see this. Note, not fall in CD sales as that can be explained by digital distribution but actual falls in company revenues. The counter argument here is that as company revenues fall, artist revenues were seen to increase but in the context of game development there is no comparison. :(

As for games there has been multiple examples of developers looking into this themselves, for example MW1, World Of Goo and a couple of iPhone developers, and they have found that those people who pirate their games rarely go on to purchase them, simply by the fact that a significant time after release the same users are still online playing their pirated copies.
    My point is there other reasons for the switch than the ones being debated.
    Oh I understand there are other reasons but I don't understand how your example applies. You can still develop on the PC as your primary platform and release/port onto consoles however the two companies are now targeting the consoles as their lead platforms and will then also release on to PCs - it's a complete reversal of development from previous generations.
    I don't follow. Why do casual games and MMOs not count? They are afterall the fastest growing sector of the games industry.
    Well I did say in the context of this debate, the reason being that 90% of the people here are referring to the development of AAA games on the PC rather than the latest Popcap game or one behemoth in the MMO genre.[/QUOTE]
    Again, I don't follow. What is this pattern? Sony and MS struggling to make money.
    MS are not struggling to make money, as early as November 2006 they were earning a profit, albeit a small one, on their console. This is on top of the XBL revenues generated from subscriptions. The pattern refers to the fact that Microsoft build a console which was easy to develop for and was comprised of compoents which they believed (and indeed were proved right) would allow them to make a profit. Bar the RROD issue I see no problem in this.

Sony on the other hand went in a totally different direction, attempting to build an all-in-one wonder machine which completely backfired on them. From the problems with Cell yields to the necessity of adding in a dedicated GPU to the inclusion of a Bluray (which I'm debating is unnecessary in this generation over in a PS thread) they basically set themselves up to make a massive loss. This was hoped to be countered by playing on the Playstation brand and harping on about it's 10 year life cycle. Unfortunately, until recently the latter has fallen on deaf ears and with most developers already pushing the architecture pretty hard, I can't see it lasting 10 years unless of course they included a certain period of co-existence with the Playstation 4. The crux of the issue here is, Sony won't make the same mistake again.

Nintendo, on the other hand, may have taken a risk with the Wii but it was an educated one based on the experience the company has had.
    And as for Nintendo, well Nintendo never made a loss on consoles that's true, but a sizeable reason is because sales were so phenomenally over initial estimates. And the reason for the large sales was because they targeted consumers who normally wouldn't purchase a console, consumers they are now struggling to encouraging to sustain their investment in the brand. Maybe I'm stark raving, but I thought I remembered reading recently enough that Nintendo lowered their financial projections?
    The Wii was their first console that targeted consumers who normally didn't purchase a console.

The lowering of their financial projections is fairly obvious by the way, given the huge numbers already sold. Despite this it is still outselling the hugely successful PS2 over the same period and, despite the drop in sales in recent times, will probably still outsell it over its life cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The PC market is currently very niche and PC owners have done a fantastic job of keeping it that way by pirating like nobodies business.
    There's over 1 billion pcs in the world, that's hardly niche now is it and what I was getting at is with more and more people using PCs on a daily basis the pc is becoming less and less scary. In the last 5 years I've seen just about everybody in my small farming town buy a PC and say things like "I never thought I'd see the day"
    Consoles are easier to develop for, the piracy is far less of an issue (with the exception of perhaps the DS), and more to the point they are something that people can just pick up, hook into another familiar piece of technology (the TV) and play with and thats something that the PC can never be.
    Windows 7 makes all this a breeze, I can plug my pc into any tele probably easier than any console because it uses ordinary cables.

PCs will never win the console war because PCs aren't consoles. Not to be pedantic or anything but that is the reality of it. There will always be a market for a fixed hardware unit which can just sit there and play games with minimal fuss.
    Again windows 7 makes the PC as easy to use as a fixed hardware unit.

This was actually discussed in another thread for quite some time and I think the general consensus was we'll see consoles becoming more PC like rather than vice versa. That being said, as I mentioned above, it's the fact that you can buy a piece of hardware which is guaranteed to play games for a certain period of time at the same level of quality as everyone else who bought it which will ensure there will always be a market for consoles.
    The consoles already are PC like and I didn't mean to imply the PC would become a console more that with people having a pc sitting there, they're more likely to start playing games on the PC than spontaneously go out a buy a console to see if they like gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Consoles will probably always have their place. It's a standardisation of components. People are too lazy to figure out what kind of computer they have, but it's clear with a console -and they are willing to pay a premium in the games for this.

Xbox and PS are drifting closer and closer to the PC with internet applications, having to install the games etc. I don't see a place for these in the world, -i.e., they don't have enough to define themselves as a separate entity. But they will last another while since they will be pushed, and people will buy.
    The wii is definitely a step in the right direction for consoles. It absolutely offered something the PC and other consoles couldn't really at the time.

I think the Windows Experience Index could prove useful in the future. It provides the standardisation that many console players look for.
    PCs are getting smaller and more accessible, so we'll see where that goes.

That I do not accept in the slightest. In terms of music, one need only look at the fall in revenue in the US to see this.

Well, just on the music, there are a hell of a lot of other possible reasons for that fall in revenue that are always ignored, because, I believe, it's more convenient for the CEOs and management of said companies to blame an external factor they have no control over to their shareholders, than accept responsibility for a loss.

And before you say it, the obvious reason is that the product was sh*te. Some of the biggest acts of recent years were completely ignored by the major producers until they had already proven their success. Radiohead are one such example, Blur are another. Even today you have the backlash to the Xfactor and that, there is a very strong argument that par of those drops in sales were due to their failure to give people what they wanted.

Secondly, no one has ever tried to study the impact of globalisation on music either. 20 years ago, people's only exposure to music was radio or TV, it was easy for producers to get their products out and manipulate the market. Now, with modern media, people have much more exposure to small niches and independent producers as opposed to the big ones. The market is much more fragmented than it used be, and this places a lot of pressure on companies to reach customers and maintain sales.

Third, whenever I see publisher citing piracy as the primary reason for a product performing poorly, they never explain where their original projections came from. Do they just magically expect AAA sales because they have invested AAA levels intro production? Commercial flops existed long before piracy and the digital era... Yet any AAA that fails these days is because of piracy it seems. That's why I'm somewhat sceptical.

Fourth, and here's the big one, music is disposable income. People's incomes are disposable. Young people are traditionally their biggest market, yet all of a sudden there's the internet, and games, and new technology to compete for people's time and disposable income. The games industry in particular has experienced phenomenal growth since the heyday of the big record producers, yet you never, ever hear this being touted as a possible reason for the music industry's decline. Why?

And, yes, there is evidence to suggest it can increase sales, or at the very least the effects of piracy on sales are ambiguous. For example, this link shows a clear lack of cause and effect. Using those statistics I can run a regression that points to piracy increasing sales or depending on my mood a regression to show it reduces sales. This is the ambiguity inherent to the practice of economics and financial statistics.

Anyway, I digress... suffice to say, I believe the 'piracy' card is an overplayed hand when it comes to explaining poor product performance. I accept that may be a controversial opinion.
    MS are not struggling to make money, as early as November 2006 they were earning a profit, albeit a small one, on their console.

Again, you're missing the bigger picture. Unit profitability does not equate to return on investment and company profits! The Microsoft games division only turned its first profit on it's day to day operations in the third quarter of 2008! That's a lot of red to be made up...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

You know I want to reply but I fear it's just going to get washed under by another trite "the pyrits r killing my gamezors, oh noes!!!"

Anyway, I'll try to keep it short so that everyone can have space for their opinions on piracy... again... again...
    I think you might be bringing in your personal experience a little too much, everyone I know that owns a gaming PC builds or modifies it in some shape or form.

:confused:

I don't doubt that there will still be a percentage of people that will still manually build PC's in the future. However, I would be willing to put money on this number never becoming the majority, and never being supported largely by game developers.

My friends Dad went into repairing TVs for a living back in the 70's because he believed people would always want to repair the parts of a TV rather then to buy a new one. Prices dropped and TV's became expendable. He had to find another job. Interest in upgrading PC parts will never be more than a passing hobby for people.
    The console looks set to become what the PC should of been nearly a decade ago
    You're on the right lines, but you have it the wrong way around. The console is becoming more like the PC.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

lookie here

i built a pc with all mod cons for 500 quid. and it would play any game you throw at it on max (except crysis maybe). it includes peripherals. tell me its not win. i know it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

If this works, it could change the face of gaming forever, big if tho

What i meant was that rather than the console adopting PC features, the PC will edge out the console as the entertainment system of choice. A console, is afterall a set of dedicated hardware for processing and streaming graphical data to a TV, if it adopts the features of a PC as you suggest it loses it's simplicity, in which case it makes more sense to use the ad-hoc standards of the PC rather than define a new architecture that merges the two.

It will be interesting to see what happens, the future of the 'console' could be wrapped up into brand loyalty. HTPCs are already becoming very popular as a niche product, it may not be long before you're as likely to see a Dell under the TV as you are a Sony or Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

I started using consoles when I was around 7 on the first playstation.At this time we had an old gateway 2000 with windows 95 on it.It couldn't play many games and wasn't awful easy to use especially for a 7 year old.however nowadays young children are much more familiar with PC's and they are easier to use so many kid's will start playing games on the PC and will rpobably stick to it.Also virtually every house has a Pc and there is a wider choice of PC games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    If this works, it could change the face of gaming forever, big if tho

I was actually thinking about that also. If it works hardware upgrades will no longer be needed as none of the rendering will be done locally. All you'll get is a streamed video feed, which, even now, severely underpowered netbooks can currently handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Ironically, my xbox has caused me more hassle than my vista gaming pc. Any problem on the pc can always be solved with a patch revealed quickly by google. The problem strewn disaster that is the xbox necessitates a trip back to the shops, I've had three so far.
    :mad:

That's what I get for being cheap and buying an xbox instead of upgrading my PSU and graphics card.

lookie here

i built a pc with all mod cons for 500 quid. and it would play any game you throw at it on max (except crysis maybe). it includes peripherals. tell me its not win. i know it is.
    Oh it's win alright, except it's still twice the price of a 360. :o

It includes a monitor, Include the price of the tv (tv would need to be at least hd ready as the monitor is higher than that)

It includes peripherals, gaming online is free, the games themselves significantly are cheaper... it works out about the same in the long run tbh.
    I was actually thinking about that also. If it works hardware upgrades will no longer be needed as none of the rendering will be done locally. All you'll get is a streamed video feed, which, even now, severely underpowered netbooks can currently handle.

What you will have to get used to though is having a ping, not only for the AI and other players movement, but for your own controls response. You'd have to have a total fibre optic network for this to work, might get going in big cities like Tokyo, NY, Singapore, Hong Kong where the infrastructure is fantastic, but it's a long way from being a mass market product.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,078 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I am a parent. The consoles have won. Arguments about how many PC's there are in the world or how many homes have one are just mindless numbers. Only a tiny, tiny fraction of these are spec'd for high end gaming.

Xbox 360 elite on Amazon - €200

1 year Xbox live subscription - €30

1 Xbox N class WiFi network adapter - €65

The idea of parents forking out for hard core gaming PC's, setting them up in the main living area, because that is where the 50" plasma is, and keeping them running and putting up with the 'Dad, I can't play the latest version of geekdreamon with out the latest graphics card' - which will probably cost as much as an entire 360 - every 14 months - is just pure fantasy.

High end PC gaming is for geeks. Thinking it is the future of gaming is naive, wishful thinking fantasy.

It's all about money:

intro.jpg

http://www.industrygamers.com/galleries/opinion-who-killed-pc-gaming/

• Advertisement

Completely disagree, You don't need top end components. I'm also a parent, My 11 and 12 yo son and daughter play pc games all the time (HL2, CSS, TF2 and Garys mod). They've got a 2.4Ghz core2duo and an 8800gt that were hand-me-downs when I upgraded 18 months ago. A pc which plays everything available can be got for peanuts at the moment. Most average Dells will play any game, which is what most houses buy

Santa got the young fella a 360 for xmas, he was back playing on the pc today :D

Advertisement