Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening a USD account in Ireland?

Options
  • 30-12-2009 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I am based in Ireland - if I wanted to transfer a sum of money in USD directly into a USD account how would I do that - is it difficult to set up a USD account from here? I don't want to get screwed by the exchange rate and figure if I transfer in USD I can get a better deal. Anyone know the ins and outs?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

F/x Current accounts are generally only opened for Business Customers. The have high running costs etc but you can have a Chq book on them.

F/x Hold(savings) accounts can generally only be opened with large deposits. 20k euro's worth or more. They pay ****e interest.

Best to keep in US in a decent savings account and transfer when needed. Why would you want to have it here?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

There's usually a fair few hoops to be jumped through to open one AFAIK. Also there'll be a minimum requirement to open one, it often varies between around $10,000 and $20,000. You'll need to make an appointment with your branch to open one, and you'll need proof of ID (passport or Irish Driving Licence) and proof of address, like a bill or bank statement dated within the last 6 months. Additionally, depending on the type of account you open, you may be required to provide proof of your PPSN. This can be a payslip, medical card, social security card, tax cert or P60.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

I would say these guys are just what you need- they can get you business rates on exchanges. Have a look at blue market fx here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

Should have mentioned - I am looking to cash in shares in an American company. If they get paid out in Euro I will get stung on the USD > EUR exchange rate. What I'm thinking is that if I transfer in USD to a USD account I can wait til the exchange rate improves before converting to EUR, or else just spend the dollars at a later date.

Thoughts?

I fully plan to pay tax on the shares, by the way.

Advertisement