Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on puppy injury...

Options
  • 30-12-2009 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭

hey all i need advice on this. my puppy had an accident about 3 weeks ago and twisted his leg. the vet took an x-ray and said it looks like it is twisted out of the joint (his elbow). she said he might need surgery and that the opperation would have to be done by a consultant which would cost €1000ish. he's a 6 month old pitbull. he's very lame on it and he yelps if i touch it. its so upsetting seeing him limp around the place. getting him to rest it though is a struggle since he's a puppy all he wants to do is run and play. i'v no way of getting that kind of money as we are trying to move house and expecting a baby and i'm out of work. is there any way that there can be an opperation done cheaper than that or is my only options to put him to sleep or pay €1000?? he's part of my family and i hate seeing him in pain. if i had that kind of money i'd pay it no prob, even though theres prob the possibility of him getting arthritis in it later in life. anyone have any usefull advice for me because i really dont know what to do. thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Gosh your poor dog, I assume since you're asking for money advice that you don't have him insured? (Just insurance would usually cover something like this)

You could speak to your vet and see if they'll let you pay it in installments - would that be of any use to you? I know it's a lot of money, but might be easier on you if it was spread out.
    You could also try contacting the Blue Cross http://www.bluecross.ie/welfare_schemes.html as I believe they can sometimes help out with expensive operations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭pitbull_fanatic

no i'v no insurance. i had my staffy insured but when i lost my job last year i couldnt keep up with everything and the insurance payments suffered. i asked my vet about paying in instalements and she said that it wasnt going to be her that done the opperation it would be a consultant which would want payment up front or at least half upfront and the other half the day of the opperation. i'l try the blue cross and see what they say. thanks

That's rather unfortunate :(
    Hopefully the Blue Cross will be able to help - if you look at the page I linked to it explains a little but I'm sure if you contact them they'll be able to tell you if they can or can't help.
    I hope they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭cianer

Your poor puppy!

Would another vet be able to operate onsite and allow you pay by installments? I'd definatly look for other quotes, vet prices can vary by a huge amount. I wonder would there be any point contacting the UCD vet hosp where a student might operate under supervision? Might be cheaper if students were getting some experience.

ya i'm looking at the website. it looks good and hopefully they can help. they are closed now i'd say so i'l ring them in the morning. i'm bringging him to another vet tomorrow alright def. no offence to student but i'd rather have this done by someone who knows what they are doing. its a puppy's elbow and i'd be afraid if they done something slightly wrong he'd be destroyed! an onsite vet and installements are a good idea though. my dad thinks i'm mad to be paying that much for a puppy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Your vet said he 'might' need surgery, so he might not. I would get a crate for him and keep him contained. Yes it will be difficult, but better that than him having to have an operation. Just make sure that you have lots of frozen, stuffed kongs etc to keep his mind occupied. If he had the operation he would have to be kept still for a good while afterwards anyway, so this would need to be done either way.

If he definitely needs the operation, and you can't afford the surgery and you can't find anyone willing to let you pay in instalments, please don't have the pup put to sleep. Yes it will be an expensive operation, but for a young dog there may well be a rescue space out there and the rescue could raise the money somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

I dont know if you're based in Dublin, but St. Frances dispensary (not too sure about the spelling), if you go to them they can organise for a vet to do it cheaper.
    I dont know the details of your pups case but most well equipped small animal practices are able to carry out orthopaedic procedures without the need for a consultant, but the estimate of €1000 doesn't sound like it is out of line with the norm for these types of operations and after care.

she said he might need the surgery but she doesnt know. she said she wants the consultant to take a look at the xray but as far as she's concerned he'l need it. ya i'l have to invest in a crate. i dont want to put him to sleep, i wouldnt have the heart to, as he's done nothing to deserve to be put to sleep and he deserves a life as he's a great dog, but i dont want him in pain either.

ado86 : i'm down in cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭votejohn

thats absolutely awful for you and the pup, my pups 6 months and I dont know how i'd keep her still!!

If the vets wont let you pay in installments, could you get a bank or credit union loan? so then you can pay that off in installments.

I know this sounds awful, but at a very very last option (as in, if theres a chance the dog could get put down) would it be a lot cheaper to have the leg amputated? the pups so young that it would probably bounce right back.

Can you contact your insurance company that you had been using to see if theres ANYTHING that they could do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

i doubt the insurance company would help - but in this situation do call.

maybe if you talk to the concultant direct and explain the situation he/she may reduce the costs or let you pay in instalments?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

votejohn wrote: »

Can you contact your insurance company that you had been using to see if theres ANYTHING that they could do?

The op doesnt have any insurance at the moment. Insurance companies arent going to help you if you have no policy with them. Its hard enough getting them to pay out when you do have a policy.

Pitbull, can you get a second opinion? i def would and see what another vet has to say, they might be able to do it cheaper or even recommend something different.
    Is it his cruciate his damaged? if so, afaik that does require an operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

try and find out what the actual damage is first, i twisted my knew playing rugby few years back, was in agony, cracked the bone inside, twisted all the ligaments, but - needed no surgery was recomended "glucosamine sulphate" which i took for about three years (this was recomended to me by a private consultant in the UK - on insurance) so you may be able to let the pup heal himself depending on what it is

i brought him to another vet today and he said that to him it looks like a simple knee injury. he saidits hard to tell without the xray. my own vet said she only had the original, no copy, and she's sending that to the consultant. she'l give it to me when the consultant looked at it and he might think puppy doesnt need surgery...the second vet seems happy he's putting some weight on it. i started him on painkillers last night and he's hobbling on it. the day before the painkillers and yesterday he wouldnt even put it on the ground. you can still see a lump at the side of his knee and it feels soft but it hurts him when i touch it. the second vet gave me a no of another vet who deals with broken legs and injuries like my fella's and he would be alot cheaper than what i was quoted. so when i hear back from the consultant i'l give that vet a shout and i'll let ye know the latest. thanks very much for all who replies and thanks for ye'r advice. i'm put at ease a small bit now. i was freaking out a small bit yesterday especially at the cost price!! thanks

Glad to hear your pup is doing a bit better.
    And fingers crossed he either doesn't need surgery or you can get it done much cheaper than previously quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

APBT have a very high pain treshold so if your pup is actually showing pain then it must be pretty bad. Please do not make the mistake now to let him run around as the pain killers will take the pain but it can actually do more damage. Crate rest and leash walks, and give him Arnica.

Re Insurance, as far as I know, they wont insue APBT./

ya he's got a very high pain threshhold! he curiously followed a horse 2 weeks before his accident and didnt know what it was. he was sniffeing around him and the horse (an abandoned unpredictable horse) suddenly kicked out and caught his face just under the eye. he just got up and walked away as if nothing happened him! he's too curious but he's a puppy i suppose!

the consultant got back to me and said that surgery will not work. he dented the bone and the swelling is muscular but it still hasnt gone down. it doesnt hurt him to touch it now he just looks at me stupidly when i rub it! i cant understand how its not going down with the anti-inflamitaries?? he's resting quite alot but he gets his destructive urges now and again without his excercise. the vet told me he will probably limp until he's fully grown and the muscles and joints settle. but in my opinion he's got a long way to go to be fully grown and if he's going to be limping that long surely that will lead to a bad habit??

EGAR what is Arnica and where can i get it?

oh and is it ok to leash walk him as i was told by my vet not to walk him until he stops limping?? as i said earlier she also said he could be limping until he's fully grown. i cant have a pitbull cooked up in a house with no walks until he stops limping!! he's go demented!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭cucoigcrice

Hi pitbull, i would ring your vet and ask him/her if it is ok to swim your dog as it can rebuid and strengthin the muscles if that is whats wrong. :)

she said it would be ok but he's only 7 months so he stil a bit nervous of water. it seems to be worse after he lies down for a while as if it stiffens up or something but after couple mins of walking round the house it tends to loosen up a small bit. the swelling just doesnt seem to want to go down any bit...il try get him used to the water a bit more though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Are you ever in Dublin? I could lend you a crate. If not, they do reasonably priced ones in Argos. Sorry to hear about your job and dog.

What happened to the dog?

• Advertisement

i have a crate for him but thanks for the offer. when he comes out of the crate his leg looks so stiff he wont walk on it for a couple of mins. got that arnica stuff yesterday but he keeps licking it off!! must get him a bandage to prevent that tomorrow

Pitbull i think you put the arnica into the drinking water, thats what a friends dog used but just check!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Pitbull i think you put the arnica into the drinking water, thats what a friends dog used but just check!

Id say it was Arnica cream he had which is topical so you put it onto the skin.

You can get like arnica crystals that you dissolve in the drinking water try and see if they work. Has you vet not given you any anti inflammatories/painkillers?

You can get like arnica crystals that you dissolve in the drinking water try and see if they work. Has you vet not given you any anti inflammatories/painkillers?

The OP already said that the vet had given him pain killers and he had started the dog on them, and that the dog has been given anti inflammatories too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭baubl

hey all i need advice on this. my puppy had an accident about 3 weeks ago and twisted his leg. the vet took an x-ray and said it looks like it is twisted out of the joint (his elbow). she said he might need surgery and that the opperation would have to be done by a consultant which would cost €1000ish. he's a 6 month old pitbull. he's very lame on it and he yelps if i touch it. its so upsetting seeing him limp around the place. getting him to rest it though is a struggle since he's a puppy all he wants to do is run and play. i'v no way of getting that kind of money as we are trying to move house and expecting a baby and i'm out of work. is there any way that there can be an opperation done cheaper than that or is my only options to put him to sleep or pay €1000?? he's part of my family and i hate seeing him in pain. if i had that kind of money i'd pay it no prob, even though theres prob the possibility of him getting arthritis in it later in life. anyone have any usefull advice for me because i really dont know what to do. thanks

I dont see an operation here, thought they would manipulate the joint into place and then bandage the leg to stop your dog using it, you should consult a second vet, as it is not a break, but, a joint out of place

baubl wrote: »
    I dont see an operation here, thought they would manipulate the joint into place and then bandage the leg to stop your dog using it, you should consult a second vet, as it is not a break, but, a joint out of place

Baubl if you read the following two quotes, you'll see the OP did try another vet and has updated us with new info :)
    i brought him to another vet today and he said that to him it looks like a simple knee injury. he said its hard to tell without the xray. my own vet said she only had the original, no copy, and she's sending that to the consultant.
    she'l give it to me when the consultant looked at it and he might think puppy doesnt need surgery...the second vet seems happy he's putting some weight on it. i started him on painkillers last night and he's hobbling on it. the day before the painkillers and yesterday he wouldnt even put it on the ground. you can still see a lump at the side of his knee and it feels soft but it hurts him when i touch it.
    The second vet gave me a no of another vet who deals with broken legs and injuries like my fella's and he would be alot cheaper than what i was quoted. so when i hear back from the consultant i'l give that vet a shout and i'll let ye know the latest.
    the consultant got back to me and said that surgery will not work. He dented the bone and the swelling is muscular but it still hasnt gone down. It doesnt hurt him to touch it now he just looks at me stupidly when i rub it! i cant understand how its not going down with the anti-inflamitaries??
    He's resting quite alot but he gets his destructive urges now and again without his excercise.
    The vet told me he will probably limp until he's fully grown and the muscles and joints settle. but in my opinion he's got a long way to go to be fully grown and if he's going to be limping that long surely that will lead to a bad habit??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭baubl

star-pants wrote: »
    Baubl if you read the following two quotes, you'll see the OP did try another vet and has updated us with new info :)

my apoligies, did not look at date

baubl wrote: »
    my apoligies, did not look at date
    I'm not giving out :)
    Just so you can give better advice based on the new info

• Advertisement

tis the arnica gel i got...

ya i got painkillers/anti-inflamitaries but they dont seem to be working. he's coming up to 2 months without proper excircise now. all he wants to do is run. he burst through the crate yesterday. literally pulled the side off it!! and then carried on to open every door in the house and wreck the whole place. there has to be something out there that can take down the lump so he will stop limping and be able to go out and run because we cant have him like this. he's 2 much energy built up.

dunno if this will work but here goes...not very good but you'd get the idea. only time i can get him to keep still is wash him!!

Photo0130.jpg

Advertisement