Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC History Project

Options
  • 30-12-2009 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

I have to hand in the first draft of my history project by the 12th of Jan but I have not decided what title to do yet. I love football and the LOI in general would there be any titles suitable which I could do the project on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭discostick12

Have you talked to your History teacher about your ideas for your history project?

My history teacher was very helpfull with mine. Your title is very important as it sums up what your project is about.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Look into one of the football disasters of back in the day. Has anything of note every happened in the LOE? If something has, and it occured over a short period(hours,days) then do it on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Sabbath Lily

My brother (also a LOI fan) did his project a few years ago on Italian football and its links to Mussolini and fascism in general, which is really really interesting. Some of the links with Serie A clubs still exist to this day. St Pats played Steaua Bucharest in Europe this year, who have direct links with the Ceaucescu dynasty, and accusations of corruption. Their owner is also a seriously scary right-wing politician. Something on the Nazis and the 1936 Olympics might be cool to do too.

The world is your oyster really. But I can't think of any LOI stuff that would fit in well with the course aims. Maybe - and it's a long shot - Derry City and its status within Northern Irish football? There was quite a lot of violence surrounding them, as one of the only Catholic clubs in the Irish League - I don't know much about the actual history about it, but you should look into it if it interests you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭onelove

No school till thursday so tomorrow i'm going to start the project but still I don't know what title to do it on :confused:

I would love to do it on football but I can't think of any suitable titles :eek:

onelove wrote: »
    No school till thursday so tomorrow i'm going to start the project but still I don't know what title to do it on :confused:

I would love to do it on football but I can't think of any suitable titles :eek:
    Just do it on something else, your running out of time. I had no interest in my topic and I got 100%.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Sabbath Lily

Owen is right. You need to stop thinking about what your project is, and start working on the actual thing. Don't worry about how good it is at this stage, just have something to work on. You have time to improve on it.

My project was based on a historical event that my grandfather lived through, so I got a lot of information that way, either from him or indirectly through books he had from the time. Remember: you can do ANYTHING. History is everywhere - look around. Every monument, statue, street in Dublin, or any decent-sized town, has a historical link. You should make sure that you do something that you can find reasonable historical sources on, so I'd make the focus Irish history, rather than European. Use your contacts, what links you have to various people/places that could get you an insight.

I gave you a few football/sport ideas there, but the main idea is: you can do a project on anything you want, but you must be able to find a link between it and the general history of that time/era that you've probably already studied. So, if you decide to cover Derry City and their exit from the Irish League, to eventually enter the League of Ireland, for example: you'll need to be aware of the history of the Troubles at that time, how Derry fit within that setting politically, the aftermath of Bloody Sunday in Derry, etc.

The problem with LOI is that you'd need to find a common link between the topic you're covering, and the 'main' history of the time, and as LOI hasn't a massive following, and isn't considered worthy by the mainstream media, it could be difficult. The foundation of the GAA or something would be a lot easier to cover in that respect, though I imagine millions of people do that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Does anyone know how they are marked...I heard one way was marking on how much you took from each source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭AJ STYLES

dude my advice, do not do your topic on football. like you i love football and loi but yeah i'd advise against it. also i no wat im doin ye but i dont no if its too general or what. good luck.

but actually when i say dont do it, i mean don't do about heysel or somethin, it has to be historically relevant, sabbath lily shows examples of where talking about football would be relevant.

btw what course u doin nxt year?

Looks like i'll have to shy away from the football side of the project

So i'll start the project on my initial title Muhammed Ali but is this to broad of a title ?

Looks like i'll have to shy away from the football side of the project

So i'll start the project on my initial title Muhammed Ali but is this to broad of a title ?
    TOO BROAD. If you're doing it on Ali, you need some specific aspect of his life to base it on. Try find something that took place over a short time frame e.g a day or week; though a day's probably better(and easier).
    Seloth wrote: »
    Does anyone know how they are marked...I heard one way was marking on how much you took from each source.
    It's in my Shortcuts to success book. Do you want me to go into detail for you?(try find it on the internet first:)).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭AJ STYLES

i dont think they really care about the essay. i mean if your essay sounds smart and you write clearly you will get over 90 per cent.

AJ STYLES wrote: »
    i dont think they really care about the essay. i mean if your essay sounds smart and you write clearly you will get over 90 per cent.
    You should aim for 100% though, as it's not that much harder and it could be the difference in a grade.

Should I do it on his decision not to fight in Vietnam?

Should I do it on his decision not to fight in Vietnam?
    It's not really an event though? I'm not sure really. If you think you can write 1500+ words on it go for it, but I'd stick to a one day event that you can do step by step.

Myself and my history teacher don't really see eye to eye unfortunatly :mad:

So who would you recommend doing my project on?

Afaik you're not supposed to do your project on case studies or key personalities on the course, at least that's what my teacher said. Ali is a key personality, but I think it'd be ok if you picked an aspect of his life. I'm not sure tbh.

Afaik you're not supposed to do your project on case studies or key personalities on the course, at least that's what my teacher said. Ali is a key personality, but I think it'd be ok if you picked an aspect of his life. I'm not sure tbh.
    I forgot about that:p. Yes, stay away from key personalities and case studies.

Advertisement