Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iomega screenplay director hd media player - STAY AWAY!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 brenthedub

Hi Paul

Thanks for reply and I will defintely look at the Nexus in future. I real question is, is there firmwear to fix the problem of no sound when playing MKV files on the IOMEGA. It works for some MKV types, but not for others.

Does anyone have this sound problem and if so, were you able to fix/address the problem ?

Thanks
    Bren

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,205 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

My parents bought a reconditioned Iomega Screenplay Plus straight from the supplier (I think it was a link in Bargain Alerts) at the end of December. My mam was dragging some files onto it this evening and it froze up. Now the PC won't detect it.

I've tried several different ways of scanning for it but it's not showing up anywhere. In fact if I use software to scan for it, the software stalls until I plug out the HDD. As does Disk Management.

There is one single place it shows up - devices and printers. Just an icon with the name. But I can only right click on it. (with limited to no options to do anything)

Anyway, anyone else come across this? I think it may just be borked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 morklee22

If you connect the iomega director to a surround system via the optical output you will not have an audio issue in saying that iomega should release a firmware update to fix this issuebiggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 brenthedub

I have come across this issue before. You were probably copying or moving files onto the HDD when it disconnected. Hence it didn't carry out the action completely. Generally means there are some corrupt files/directories on your HDD.

What you should do is carry out the dos command "CHKDSK" on the HDD, specifying the drive letter for the HDD. Check disk will remove corrupt files for you, thus allowing the directory structure to rebuild for you.

I'm an old timer (not that old, but have worked on DOS), so would carry out CHKDSK from the DOS command prompt. I believe you can do it through windows also.

If you carry out CHKDSK successfully, i gather it will address your issue.

o1s1n wrote: »
    My parents bought a reconditioned Iomega Screenplay Plus straight from the supplier (I think it was a link in Bargain Alerts) at the end of December. My mam was dragging some files onto it this evening and it froze up. Now the PC won't detect it.

I've tried several different ways of scanning for it but it's not showing up anywhere. In fact if I use software to scan for it, the software stalls until I plug out the HDD. As does Disk Management.

There is one single place it shows up - devices and printers. Just an icon with the name. But I can only right click on it. (with limited to no options to do anything)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭novice

Now the PC won't detect it.

I've tried several different ways of scanning for it but it's not showing up anywhere. In fact if I use software to scan for it, the software stalls until I plug out the HDD. As does Disk Management

Have you had a look at these Q&A on their site?
    If you connect by ethernet or wifi use the Discovery utility:
    https://iomega-eu-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21152/related/1

If you're having problems then USB is the most reliable way to connect, but check out their notes:
    https://iomega-eu-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24842

I had to do a complete reinstall of mine because it crashed while updating the firmware - had to completely reformat the drive.
    [I have the procedure if you need it, but probably best to go through their support page
    https://iomega-eu-en.custhelp.com/app/account/questions/list )

Now it works fine. I've got used to the fact that it's slow, that Youtube doesn't work (though every seller advertises this), and that I have to enable PAL every time I turn it on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mrj0hn

novice wrote: »
    Just be aware that the ethernet port on the Screenplay HD is painfully slow - almost unusable. I transfer everything on/off via USB.

And the fan is so noisy you can't leave it on all the time behind your TV.

And the remote control won't bring it out of standby mode - you have to get up to power it up/down, so not really a living room device.

P.S. And forget abou tthe onlinemedia stuff (youtube, etc. - it's a clunky interface and too frustrating to use with a remote control.

Pretty much says it all about this device!! Playback freezes continuously and to reboot the thing... have you got all day!! It's a piece of garbage. Stay away!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 robcen

I must admit that this player is a piece of s..t as it hangs up continuously, not playing on line stuff, network connection slow like hell, and the worst part is their support. I asked about all issues and they told me that they are working to bring on-line stuff back to work (almost a year), they also told me that this is a media player not storage disc so they don't care about network connection speed. They are real bas...ds, my disc is still on warranty but I can't use it and they don't want to fix it...

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nanoc

must say i haven't had the problems as above posters have had, but what I do have a problem with is that there seems to be no "resume playback" on this, am I correct or jsut missing something? seems like something basic that if you stop a movie you may want to keep watching from where you left off???

• Registered Users Posts: 19 conor2me

Harvey norman are messing me around so got a full refund.looked at iomega ireland website and they have all new multimedia drives that look better than the screenplays cause they play mkv files. What are they like to buy off. Whats their delivery to Ireland like? has anyone bought the ScreenPlay MX HD Media Player, cause it looks good

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭novice

Nanoc wrote: »
    must say i haven't had the problems as above posters have had, but what I do have a problem with is that there seems to be no "resume playback" on this, am I correct or jsut missing something? seems like something basic that if you stop a movie you may want to keep watching from where you left off???

Maybe it depends on the file format? For me I hit the play button and it restarts where it left off (ScreenPlay Director HD.)
    conor2me wrote: »
    Has anyone bought the ScreenPlay MX HD Media Player, cause it looks good

Worth checking the IOMEGA forums to see what feedback people are giving. MX doesn't seem to feature highly - unlike the other ScreenPlay boxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

I have a screen play director myself and was wondering what format is the best to use??

Most things i download work but some wont work when i copy them on to screenplay director.

All work fine in Windows media player on my laptop but is there a certain format i should use before i transfer it to screen play director??

If so how do i change the format of films etc. I have Downloaded?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 midavid

This is a heap of rubbish. Bought mine from Harvey Norman - continually hangs, very slow response and a lot of media do not play even though they will play through windows media player. Takes an age to start as well....keep away would be my advice.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 blogger18

MY Screenplay Director HD 1TB isn't showing up on my comp.
    I think i did the cardinal sin of attaching it to the TV set and comp simultaneously. now it runs in TV mode always. can anyone help me get it back to the disk drive mode?
    i think the company would have been better to provide a button to switch it between TV & video modes, just to prevent these kind of goof ups.
    it has been working fine till now, if you dont consider the sluggish startup.

any suggestions on switching it back to the disk drive mode???? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Try connecting to a different USB port.
    Also go to Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management (depending on version of windows) and seeing if you can discover it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 conor2me

Happened to mine the other day aswell. .I just have to restart my computer with it plugged in and it shows up. I know its a pain in the arse but better than nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭mickredirl

Hi

Please help!!!

In the last three days my multimedia hd software appears to have become corrupt. First movies started to freeze and now when I enter the screenplayer on my tv I cannot see my movies, I get a list of folders called untitled with nothing in them?

Even if I go into the setting of the screenplayer I have no access to setting up a internet connection? I have downloaded the update.wup to my pc and used a usb key as per instructions on your site to upgrade the software but that fail?

I even tried to remove any kind of firmware that I could see on the screenplay while connected to my pc and just place the update.wup file in the fat32 partition to let it set it's self up... that did not work??

In the screenplayer director settings I tried the reset.. that also fail. Bottom line the software on screenplayer is corrupt??

How do you remove it?? Firmware update fails?
    Can anyone help before i go crazy!!! o yea iomega were no help when I emailed them!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭stephen97

when plugging to pc press the power button on the back beside the power cable and hdmi cable this will sync with pc

mickredirl wrote: »
    Hi

Please help!!!

In the last three days my multimedia hd software appears to have become corrupt. First movies started to freeze and now when I enter the screenplayer on my tv I cannot see my movies, I get a list of folders called untitled with nothing in them?

Even if I go into the setting of the screenplayer I have no access to setting up a internet connection? I have downloaded the update.wup to my pc and used a usb key as per instructions on your site to upgrade the software but that fail?

I even tried to remove any kind of firmware that I could see on the screenplay while connected to my pc and just place the update.wup file in the fat32 partition to let it set it's self up... that did not work??

In the screenplayer director settings I tried the reset.. that also fail. Bottom line the software on screenplayer is corrupt??

How do you remove it?? Firmware update fails?
    Can anyone help before i go crazy!!! o yea iomega were no help when I emailed them!!

best thing to do is plug via usb to pc press power button on player to sync and click on computer then click drive and click properties click format and this will erase all files and restore player to factory settings

blogger18 wrote: »
    MY Screenplay Director HD 1TB isn't showing up on my comp.
    I think i did the cardinal sin of attaching it to the TV set and comp simultaneously. now it runs in TV mode always. can anyone help me get it back to the disk drive mode?
    i think the company would have been better to provide a button to switch it between TV & video modes, just to prevent these kind of goof ups.
    it has been working fine till now, if you dont consider the sluggish startup.

any suggestions on switching it back to the disk drive mode???? :mad:
    when plugged via usb to your pc press the power button on the back of player to sync with pc

conor2me wrote: »
    Happened to mine the other day aswell. .I just have to restart my computer with it plugged in and it shows up. I know its a pain in the arse but better than nothing
    wrong you need to press power button on the back of player when plugged via usb to pc its located beside the hdmi connection and power connection

• Advertisement

dr ro wrote: »
    I have mostly .avi files on an iomega screenplay. For some reason .mp4's don't show up when plugged into tv, only when connected to laptop. Can someone advise how to fix this please. Thanks.
    to get mkv and some avi files to work you need to convert to div x the player will recognise these and play to get div x converter download via div x site

brenthedub wrote: »
    Hi Paul

Thanks for reply and I will defintely look at the Nexus in future. I real question is, is there firmwear to fix the problem of no sound when playing MKV files on the IOMEGA. It works for some MKV types, but not for others.

Does anyone have this sound problem and if so, were you able to fix/address the problem ?

Thanks
    Bren
    you need to convertto div x using div x converter and when converted all files will play

when plugged to pc press the power button on the back of player located beside the power cable

I have a screen play director myself and was wondering what format is the best to use??

Most things i download work but some wont work when i copy them on to screenplay director.

All work fine in Windows media player on my laptop but is there a certain format i should use before i transfer it to screen play director??

If so how do i change the format of films etc. I have Downloaded?
    div x format will play all files, download via div x site and use div x converter to convert file to div x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 blogger18

thanks buddy.
    it started working fine.
    i restarted the thing and switched on the player by pressing the power button on the player itself. no remote. i upgraded to the latest firmware too. it doesnt have any problem with mkv files or subtitles. its working well except for a loooong booting time when connected to a tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭kube

hi all,
    I am devestated. I was watching a movie on my player and suddenly it just stopped. I had had it plugged in for a while before I had started watching my movie.
    Nothing at ALL happens when i turn it on or off, so I attached the power lead from my laptop, which has a similar connection, and when I turn it on the BLUE light comes on...but nothing else happens.

There is not the usual 'noise' coming from it when it is running normally.
    I have no idea now what to do. I bought it in Pete's in Parnell street, about 2 years ago.
    Is it F**** do you think?

Any ideas?

kube wrote: »
    hi all,
    I am devestated. I was watching a movie on my player and suddenly it just stopped. I had had it plugged in for a while before I had started watching my movie.
    Nothing at ALL happens when i turn it on or off, so I attached the power lead from my laptop, which has a similar connection, and when I turn it on the BLUE light comes on...but nothing else happens.

There is not the usual 'noise' coming from it when it is running normally.
    I have no idea now what to do. I bought it in Pete's in Parnell street, about 2 years ago.
    Is it F**** do you think?

Any ideas?
    it sounds as if your drive has had it, but all is not lost, check your warranty and see if you have receipt from peats and if so they may repair for you if a manufacturer fault, but if you dropped it or it had a hard life you may as well bin it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Aquila wrote: »
    Whats the cable that came with this called.the proper title for the usb cable is what im looking for..thanks
    if by cable you mean the iomega screenplay usb cable, then the proper name for this cable is usb type a to usb type b, for sale on amazon link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/cable-V2-0-plug-TYPE-BLACK/dp/B0013FPS3K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1327623500&sr=8-2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

If it's not showing up on the TV guys what is the best thing to do to fix this?

Cheers,
    M

Advertisement