Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Router problem.... Please HELP

Options
  • 30-12-2009 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

I have a Netgear WGR614 wireless router connected to my laptop from a ripwave modem & of recent, it only works from time to time.
    I tried all the basic trouble shooting but still no joy.
    I've even updated the drivers but no good.
    I reset default settings on router & re-registered.
    Problem started before xmas so i just unplugged the router & yesterday (29.12.09) i tried it out & it worked 1st time. Then today it stopped working again.
    I've rebooted router, modem etc etc, carried out ip refreshes every time but nothing seems to work.
    I'm no wiz on IT stuff, so any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63710489#post63710489

check out this linked thread. Can you get a log of messages by logging into your router webpage and posting the results?

There is a fear that it is a problem with netgear not renewing sync with your adsl server after a connection drop. Google is full of tales of woe.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭r*oc

ashleey wrote: »

check out this linked thread. Can you get a log of messages by logging into your router webpage and posting the results?

There is a fear that it is a problem with netgear not renewing sync with your adsl server after a connection drop. Google is full of tales of woe.

Tanx for reply ashleey.
    Please excuse my ignorance when it comes to IT. I know how to use these products but don't know how they work, if u know what i mean!!!

How do i access router webpage to record message log? & would i be looking for one specific entry?

Normally you just type 192.168.0.1 into your browser address line. Then you have to enter a username and password which is normally 'admin' and then 'password'. You might need to check these.

Don't worry, I learnt all this while trying to diagnose problems with my Netgear. It is a nightmare but I think I have found some great help from this forum from others better than me.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The op is using ripwave which is a form of wireless bb - it has nothing to do with dsl. Similarly the 614 is a wireless router only and again has nothing to do with renewing sync.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

r*oc wrote: »
    I have a Netgear WGR614 wireless router connected to my laptop from a ripwave modem & of recent, it only works from time to time.
    I tried all the basic trouble shooting but still no joy.
    I've even updated the drivers but no good.
    I reset default settings on router & re-registered.
    Problem started before xmas so i just unplugged the router & yesterday (29.12.09) i tried it out & it worked 1st time. Then today it stopped working again.
    I've rebooted router, modem etc etc, carried out ip refreshes every time but nothing seems to work.
    I'm no wiz on IT stuff, so any help/advice would be much appreciated.

have you established whether the fault is with the actual service or with the rouiter? Ripwave can be very unreliable. When the wireless signal drops plug your laptop directly into the ripwave modem and see if it gets a signal. If it is the case that it is the Netgear that is at fault then try changing the wireless channel that it is using.

• Advertisement

Sorry about that. Saw 'netgear' and jumped in. Maybe it is a related problem where ripwave loses a connection and then the router locks up. Best advice is to take the netgear router out of the equation and then monitor the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭r*oc

dub45 wrote: »
    have you established whether the fault is with the actual service or with the rouiter? Ripwave can be very unreliable. When the wireless signal drops plug your laptop directly into the ripwave modem and see if it gets a signal. If it is the case that it is the Netgear that is at fault then try changing the wireless channel that it is using.
    Sorry about that. Saw 'netgear' and jumped in. Maybe it is a related problem where ripwave loses a connection and then the router locks up. Best advice is to take the netgear router out of the equation and then monitor the results.

Thanks for replies guys. Router has just dropped off & i did as you (dub45) requested, i connected directly to modem & all's good.
    How do i change wireless channel? Sorry, i'm no use with these things!

Advertisement