Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SuperValu

Options
  • 30-12-2009 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

Hi
    In SV today I saw that a lot of the veg had the original best before dates either scraped off the bags or the stickers removed with new stickers attached saying "03/01" - this was across a range of veg eg carrots, potatoes, leeks etc
    Cant believe this was due to incorrect original labelling....:confused:

mobpd

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Did you ask the manager?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

mobpd wrote: »

mobpd

Why cant you?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Hi
    In SV today I saw that a lot of the veg had the original best before dates either scraped off the bags or the stickers removed with new stickers attached saying "03/01" - this was across a range of veg eg carrots, potatoes, leeks etc
    mobpd

if you have a concern about health and safety, phone your local health dept...they are very engaging on such matters...however, best before date is quite different to the 'use by' date as I have been previously told by them...and IMHO, ,it would be hard to argue what date veg are best before...I have seen supermarkets placing 1/2 price stickers over the best before date in the past...at the very least, it doesn't establish much trust with consumers

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Hi

mobpd

When I read your first sentence my immediate thought was incorrect labelling.

Why would someone bothering changing it??? If they're off it'd be obvious.

What did the manager say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

It could well be a mistake at a packing plant. I have seen it happen with a pallet of chickens. They were shipped back to Ballyhaunis from dublin for repacking !

You cannoy be sure. As others have said - did you ask?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭purplestar1986

I can well believe it, bought a bag of oranges yesterday and only noticed last night the date had been scratched off. Seen the same the other day with punnets of mushrooms, all the stickers had been torn off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

I know for a fact that the SuperValue I use does not scratch out Best Before or Sell by Dates, instead they remove the whole packaging and repack in new deli/fresh food packaging with a new price and new sellby date. They've been doing it for years at least the last 8 I've been using them.

Here's a typical senario, its Christmas and they stock a whole load of "Cheese Boards" each with 3 or 4 cheeses. The sell by dates will be just after Christmas early in the new year. So just before the sell by date is up I notice they still have loads of these unsold then a few days later the "Cheese Boards" are gone and they have all these individual cheeses with a made up price (like cheddar, stilton and bree are the same price) and a NEW sell by date.

What I heard was that they can get some money back through Musgraves for unsold cheese but obviously Musgraves don't want a load of smelly cheese so they take off the labels and send them back to Musgraves then sell the cheese off at a cheaper price. I used to buy a lot of it as most cheese is better months after the sell by date than before it but then SuperValue got greedy and bumped the price up from very cheap to nearly the price of the unrepacked items so now I don't bother.

Another point is that one year I did point out to the manager what I thought they had done and the following day all the repacked cheese disappeared from display and I don't mean a few items I mean half the cheese cabinet so I don't think it sold all of a sudden.

Now with all the competition from Aldi, Lidl Dunnes etc I've noticed SuperValue (the store I use anyway) now repack lots of other products with new prices and sell by dates. All follows the same pattern loads of short dated stock one day in factory prepacks next day all that stocks gone and replaced with the same items in the shops own packing and with new sell by dates.

As for the OP's comment about incorrect labelling I've heard that one before, but anyone with any sense would take the stock off display and relabel it out the back away from customer view to save any questions. Doing anything like that on the shop floor just shows how stupid the stores managers are!

Advertisement