Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New road to Dublin

Options
  • 30-12-2009 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Travelled the new stretch from Dublin to Kilkenny, exiting the motorway at Leighlinbridge before the mini roundabout. Prior to that I would have gone Athy/Castlecomer.
    I'm curious to know whether the new bypass from Leighlinbridge to Kilcullen and on to Dublin is longer than the Athy/Comer route in miles?
    Reason being is fuel as I seemed to be eating it up on the new road.
    Also, the new Waterford road to Dublin what will that mean for people in Kilkenny? There is talk of a new stretch around Danesfort?
    When that is built will it be Kilkenny City - a few miles out to Danesfort - and motorway all the way to Dublin?
    Checked out a few of the official council sites but I couldnt make sense of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

gymman567 wrote: »
    I'm curious to know whether the new bypass from Leighlinbridge to Kilcullen and on to Dublin is longer than the Athy/Comer route in miles?

Yes it is shorter because it is not as twisty (Technical Term)
    Also, the new Waterford road to Dublin what will that mean for people in Kilkenny? There is talk of a new stretch around Danesfort?
    When that is built will it be Kilkenny City - a few miles out to Danesfort - and motorway all the way to Dublin?
    No there is a link road from the kilkenny ring road onto the moterway except I think that section will be the last to be finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

The AA Routeplanner doesn't have the new Motorway section on it yet, but going Kilkenny/Dublin via Castledermot was 122.63km.

Going through 'Comer and Athy is 116.20km.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

Depending on your car, the most economical constant speed to drive is somewhere between 50 - 60 mph in highest gear. Beyond this speed, aerodynamic drag increases and reduces mpg.

If you are doing the speed limit all the way, this is why you are noticing that you are using more fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Travelled the new stretch from Dublin to Kilkenny, exiting the motorway at Leighlinbridge before the mini roundabout. Prior to that I would have gone Athy/Castlecomer.
    Reason being is fuel as I seemed to be eating it up on the new road.
    Checked out a few of the official council sites but I couldnt make sense of it.

Slightly longer in miles but infinitely better in terms of time and safety versus the N78 or old N9.
    Were you driving in the correct gear i.e. 5th gear along the motorway and not straining the engine too much. I notice no difference and have driven the two many a time. If anything the M9 is more efficient as you don't have so amny hills to contend with i.e. the climb out of Athy to 'Comer is always one that is not the most efficient on economy.

As others mentioned there will be a new N10 link road from the Hebron road roundabout to the M9 which you will join at Dunbell.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Also, if your car has a small engine it will be working harder when doing motorway speeds, thus consuming more fuel.

• Advertisement
Advertisement