Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Not Bothered

• 30-12-2009 8:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭

Hello there. Do any of you ever feel like your 'not bothered' with this whole fashion lark? I've never been able to understand why some people get so involved in following whatever trends are current in fashion, or in those who are determined to create a 'look' for themselves. To me it sounds like a waste of energy and money, there are plenty other more important things to worry about in the world, why get hot and bothered about 'this colour doesn't match these chords' or 'How could you possibly wear a woolen jumper with jeans???' etc. I know this is the fashion forum, but I am curious about whether people who are 'into' their fashion ever feel jaded with the whole pursuit. I spend a minimal amount of money on clothes, most of which comes from Penny's and Dunnes, and I really couldn't care less if people think thats a bad state of affairs...

On my own here, am I?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

there are plenty other more important things to worry about in the world

true that, dressing smashingly makes me feel fairly smashing in an otherwise drab world :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The choice for me is quite simple . In the long cold winter such as now we all just want to throw on something heavy and warm underneath a warm coat or jacket .That's why I like to buy the quilted lumber shirts which is just like having a mini quilt over you ,then it's the scarf gloves and jacket which can be as stylish or bland as you wish .I choose a mulitcoloured one .

I recently bought a nice canvas jacket for £8 reduced from £20 and everybody has said it looks grand on me and I think so to . I also have a another warm black jacket bought for £18 for when I want a change going to a function or night out .I also have several older jackets such as a M1 military green one for milder less colder days . In the summer I like to wear a variety of casual jeans , tops ,shirts , light jackets, and the fact that there is many to choose from in so many clothes shops , at a decent price means there is no need to go around looking dowdy and or drab .There is such a great variety out there now to suit all tastes regardless of your age or your choice of style .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Latchy wrote: »
    The choice for me is quite simple . In the long cold winter such as now we all just want to throw on something heavy and warm underneath a warm coat or jacket .That's why I like to buy the quilted lumber shirts which is just like having a mini quilt over you ,then it's the scarf gloves and jacket which can be as stylish or bland as you wish .I choose a mulitcoloured one .

I recently bought a nice canvas jacket for £8 reduced from £20 and everybody has said it looks grand on me and I think so to . I also have a another warm black jacket bought for £18 for when I want a change going to a function or night out .I also have several older jackets such as a M1 military green one for milder less colder days . In the summer I like to wear a variety of casual jeans , tops ,shirts , light jackets, and the fact that there is many to choose from in so many clothes shops , at a decent price means there is no need to go around looking dowdy and or drab .There is such a great variety out there now to suit all tastes regardless of your age or your choice of style .

Yes, but my problem is that I don't have an eye for fashion, and neither do I want one! I simply amn't bothered spending the time bargain hunting or moving between shops... Hence the title!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Denerick wrote: »
    Yes, but my problem is that I don't have an eye for fashion, and neither do I want one! I simply amn't bothered spending the time bargain hunting or moving between shops... Hence the title!
    Fair enough that's your choice .People want to stand out and express themselfs and their individuality in the choice of clothes they wear .It's just some do it so much better than others and what looks good on one person may look horrible on another .It's the quality of the clothes and the wear you get out of them that's more or equally important than what's deemed fashionable .Many people will not throw out an old shirt , top , jacket or jumper because it's still good/cool to wear .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

I have very little time for fashion, I wear what i like and what i think suits me and its appropriate for the weather..

I can not understand people that wear everything that is in fasion regardeless of weather they like it or if it suits them or not, some people look like absule clowls trying to be in fasion with cloths that just don't suit their bodies.

Wearing something just because everyone else is madness, why would you want to wear what everyone else is wearing.

And then comments like " Green is the new black", how exciting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Fashion and appearance doesn't appeal to everyone, just like football doesn't appeal to everyone, or motor sports, or french cuisine or collecting obscure jazz tunes. What appeals to one is not going to appeal to all.

Yes, there ARE more important things going on in the world but this forum is not about those things, it's about fashion and appearance. Posting here does not mean that this is the only aspect of life that posters have an interest in.

Having accepted that premise I can't see where this thread is going. No one is going to change the OP's mind except the op just like no one will make me suddenly find tennis exciting. It's simply not in my sphere of interest.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

OldGoat wrote: »
    Fashion and appearance doesn't appeal to everyone, just like football doesn't appeal to everyone, or motor sports, or french cuisine or collecting obscure jazz tunes. What appeals to one is not going to appeal to all.

Yes, there ARE more important things going on in the world but this forum is not about those things, it's about fashion and appearance. Posting here does not mean that this is the only aspect of life that posters have an interest in.

Having accepted that premise I can't see where this thread is going. No one is going to change the OP's mind except the op just like no one will make me suddenly find tennis exciting. It's simply not in my sphere of interest.

I can see what you're saying, but threads don't have to go anywhere all the time. No-one is interested in changing minds here. I'm just curious about why people are interested in fashion, thats all. Its not the same as being interested in a sport, or music etc. because they all cater to a rather niche interest. Fashion is a universal concept and we are all following some law of fashion, even when railing against the mainstream or alternative brands... So really what I'm saying is that fashion is more than a mere lifestyle choice... Its a philosophy :D

Advertisement