Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you help suggest a car?

• 30-12-2009 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

hi guys,
    Pains me to say this, but I cannot get a break buying a Fiat 500.
    So, I have 12,000 to spend (this is max budget). It has to be a brand new car (doing scrappage-NCT up end of Jan hence need for car asap). So at this stage, I need to start looking at other brands. I would like something cutsie. I know the ford ka's and fiestas are there (they dont really appeal to me). Has to be 1.2l or above. Doesnt matter how many doors.
    Any suggestions welcome!!!
    Thanks,
    D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

dellas1979 wrote: »
    hi guys,
    Pains me to say this, but I cannot get a break buying a Fiat 500.

what do you mean by this?

EDIT: also, what about a Panda?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

not new
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1096701
    sell your scrapper for whatever you can get for it and negotiate hard with the private seller who probably will entertain your advances more than the Dealer has done so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

panda, sedici, grande punto, hyundai i series, accent, twingo, clio, fox/polo, peugeot 207/307/308, skoda roomster, suzuki swift, kia rio, chevrolette lacetti/kalos, loads more really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

Mailman wrote: »
    not new
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1096701
    sell your scrapper for whatever you can get for it and negotiate hard with the private seller who probably will entertain your advances more than the Dealer has done so far.

+1 ... that won't be on donedeal for long, seems like a pretty good spec car and as Mailman said, private seller will prob negotiate down a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Have been trying (in vain) for the last 3 weeks to buy a Fiat 500. Dealers dont return calls, or laugh me out of the dealership - am paying cash - real money - not leaves :rolleyes:. There is only one fiat dealer in my area and I wont go back to him he was horrible. So I am prepared to go to Dub or any area of the country, but I have to make initial contact by phone.
    No, wouldnt go for a panda - only in my opinion now but looks a little nunnish - cool nunnish.
    I see that link there and you are "supposed" to be able to buy the Fiat Sport 1.2 (slightly higher spec) for e11,995. Going to look up some of the other cars named there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You can buy a brand new Suzuki Swift from under €11k with the scrapage scheme:

media?id=9158934&width=400&height=300

http://www.suzuki.ie/scrapandsave/scrappage.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Have been trying (in vain) for the last 3 weeks to buy a Fiat 500. Dealers dont return calls, or laugh me out of the dealership - am paying cash - real money - not leaves :rolleyes:. There is only one fiat dealer in my area and I wont go back to him he was horrible. So I am prepared to go to Dub or any area of the country

Don't panic. Most dealers are closed until next week. Start ringing around a few FIAT dealers within an hours (or so) drive and see where you get. Surely they will bite your arm of.

Oh - just my opinion - there is only one cute / cool car for less than 12k new and that is the FIAT 500 you've been trying to buy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Stick with your choice of car or you'll kick yourself when you pass one by on the motorway. :D

Hmmmm. I dunno Kel. Have been trying to do this for the last few weeks, but calls etc not being returned.
    Yeah, my heart is in that car and you are probably are right Hal, but I needs to get me some wheels :) asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Hmmmm. I dunno Kel. Have been trying to do this for the last few weeks, but calls etc not being returned.
    Yeah, my heart is in that car and you are probably are right Hal, but I needs to get me some wheels :) asap.
    Did you ever call the garage you did the deal with back in the end?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Have been trying (in vain) for the last 3 weeks to buy a Fiat 500. Dealers dont return calls, or laugh me out of the dealership - am paying cash - real money - not leaves :rolleyes:. There is only one fiat dealer in my area and I wont go back to him he was horrible.

If this is genuinley the case, I'd be ringing the CEO of FIAT Ireland first thing Monday morning - they'd sort it for you sharpish I'd imagine.:)
    It'd be very bad press if it made it to print for Fiat if you get my drift.

No - I didnt ring him back - its too much like a game and honest, Ive no patience or luck when it comes to things like this. The shine is gone off it now. If he wanted the sale, he would have rang me. What difference would it have made if I rang? I accept my not ringing may have cost me the sale but I want to deal with someone who isnt going to play the "telephone" game.

Been trying to get through to Fiat Ireland since Tuesday and no luck - sent an email and left a voicemail. Between the Fiat dealers, the site and the dodgy telephone number (the 1800 one on their site - noone answeres, no voicemail to say they are closed etc) I dont know what to do.

I'll tell you what I think has happened....the car prices were dropped by Fiat pre scrappage anyways...then comes the scrappage and most brands doing a scrappage plus...more money off...I think the dealers might be very uhappy with this...after all the less the car the less the profit...maybe they are waiting to hear something else...I dunno. I dont know what all the stalling is about.

I just want to know why I cant/its so impossible to buy or get accurate information on the car I want :o

Oh just one more thing...my sister said something interesting to me yesterday..she said that maybe they saw me as begin too "cute" you know as in Id done my research etc and wanted to know exactly what I was getting...they couldnt make a "profit" out of me...that they didnt want to deal with me because I saw them coming rather than the other way around. I thought doing your research was the first thing people are advised to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

ok, Can I suggest the Renault Twingo. I think they are a sweet looking small car.

Renault would be glad to help you out I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

If I was in the market I'd hold out to try the new DS3

2011citroends3_01.jpg

Parkers Preview:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/News/New-Cars/First-look-Citroen-DS3/
    There's a choice of five engines with two diesels and three petrols - all developed with BMW.
    The petrol line-up includes 95bhp, 120bhp and 150bhp models which emit between 136g/km and 160g/km of CO2.
    The diesels include a 90bhp version which emits 99g/km of CO2 and qualifies for free road tax.

Twingo looks great too, especially the Renaultsport 133

If you want to tempt yourself though,
    on Pistonheads they have 2 08' Fiat 500 Ferrari editions,
    think they where meant as a loan car whilst you had your Ferrari serviced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Bonito wrote: »
    twingo, clio, fox/polo, suzuki swift,

Suggestions fixed. :rolleyes:

Advertisement