Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teachtaireacht le haghaidh gach **MOD WARNING POST 52**

Options
  • 30-12-2009 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭

Bhí mé aon clue cad alt seo a chur i qustion ach I'm wondering ach is féidir, duine ar bith eile ar na boird anseo labhairt ar bith ar an nGaeilge ar gach?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Gabh mo leithscéal? :p

Ah no, bhí comhrá againn anseo maidir leis an nGaeilge tamall ó shin: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055266849

(We had a discussion about Irish here a while ago.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Bhí mé aon clue cad alt seo a chur i qustion ach I'm wondering ach is féidir, duine ar bith eile ar na boird anseo labhairt ar bith ar an nGaeilge ar gach?
    Raphael wrote: »
    Posting in languages other than english is perfectly allowed in the UCD forum, however if you make a post which contains any signifigant amount of another language, be it Gaeilge Nihongo or Ig-pay Atin-lay, must contain a translation into English.

While we do apologise for any inconvenience incurred, if we can't read it, we don't know what's in there, and therefore we don't know if it breaches the rules laid out above.

To conclude - If it's not in english, translate it to english and write the translation underneath or it will be removed.
    Please add a translation in accordance with the charter, OP. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Pog mo hoin sh1te stupid language

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

'I was any clue what paragraph to put in question but I'm wondering can any people at all on here board speak at all on the Irish.'

Get some Irish lessons mate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Sorry, I don't speak the fenian peasants language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Is there a point to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

ENGLISH.png

I love when a thread turns into pictures loosely associated with what the OP has posted.

friendly-fail1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

QISmaS botIvjaj 'ej DIS chu' botIvjaj ! :cool:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭greyed

El Siglo wrote: »
    'I was any clue what paragraph to put in question but I'm wondering can any people at all on here board speak at all on the Irish.'

Get some Irish lessons mate

Wow, amazing load of sh1te, nice one lads. The guy is trying to get some practice (which he may need:pac:) but no need to take the piss out of him for trying to learn. Even if you must, you could at least throw in a little humour instead of that dazzling display of ignorance.

"Irish is gay!" Fás suas agus faigh as :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

greyed wrote: »
    you could at least throw in a little humour instead of that dazzling display of ignorance.

I laughed

greyed wrote: »
    Wow, amazing load of sh1te, nice one lads. The guy is trying to get some practice (which he may need:pac:) but no need to take the piss out of him for trying to learn. Even if you must, you could at least throw in a little humour instead of that dazzling display of ignorance.

"Irish is gay!" Fás suas agus faigh as :rolleyes:

Wow, you must be new to boards?

"Yes thank you, bla bla bla bla bla bla bla.";)

I had an idea today. We should get some island off the coast of Irleand and ship all travellers there. All they do is steal, cause fights, break the law and stink up the place so why not put them on an island where they can do what ever the hell they like? They can live in their caravans over there.We should get this idea to the goverment asap!

Poor fella! There is only one way to learn and thats trial by internet nerd fire which, as we all know, is the hottest and most unforgiving of all fires.

Hheh, oh jeez. Fire away so, just leave Irish out of it -_-

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Wow, you must be new to boards?

"Yes thank you, bla bla bla bla bla bla bla.";)

Wow, It's amazing how morans like you can get into UCD :confused:

Crosáidí wrote: »

Why? Irish is not needed for a lot of courses amadan

From my experience some *not all* of the Irish speaking community in UCD are elitest wankesr. I once worked in a place in UCD where two people refused to speak english infront of other people as Irish was our first language. Ignorant tossers. Unfortunately this coloured by experience of the Irish speaking community in UCD. Perhaps these two were just tossers.

I think this causes a bit of flak as the Irish community in general is seen as this. For example while in Melgrove a few weeks back I was having a smoke and some lads walked past and started shouting abuse and I quote "the wankers in the Irish house"

Shame

If it was two Polish people would they have been "ignorant ****".
    By speaking the language in their daily lives they are promoting it and also getting some practise in. It can be hard sometimes to find people to converse with in our national tongue. No harm in that, a chara

Wow it's amazing how people like you can get banned.;)

To be honest, Irish is a nice language albeit a dead language it's still nice. However, its proponents tend to espouse cultural and nationalist elitism. This is why I don't like it, also sarcasm must be lost on you. Oh and by the way, I didn't just get into UCD, I stayed for three whole years and managed to get one of these.

To be honest, Irish is a nice language albeit a dead language it's still nice. However, its proponents tend to espouse cultural and nationalist elitism. This is why I don't like it, also sarcasm must be lost on you. Oh and by the way, I didn't just get into UCD, I stayed for three whole years and managed to get one of these.

Umm, why let the actions of others shape your opinion of something as universal as a language. Its a cultural pillar, not their fúkin blog.

Is teanga deas é, aontaím, tá sí beo freisin.
    Its a nice language, I agree, its alive too. (see previous line for confirmation)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

And yet, they can stay inside the Charter and you can't.

Personal abuse is forbidden, please do not insult other members.

If it was two Polish people would they have been "ignorant ****".
    By speaking the language in their daily lives they are promoting it and also getting some practise in. It can be hard sometimes to find people to converse with in our national tongue. No harm in that, a chara

Just to address your first point, I worked in Bewleys years ago and there was a rule that no matter what part of the world you were from you spoke English. This had nothing to do with customers but mutal respect for your multi-cultural workmates, a concept I believe you are unable to grasp. Speak the spoken language of the country not the first language simply because it was stated so in a document written by a terrorist and a child abuser.

Speaking the language in your daily life between eachother is fine, thats why you are all given half price accomodation and stuck into the Sceim and believe, falsely that this promotes the Irish language when in fact segregating the Irish speakers into the best and cheapest appartment on campus kind of does the exact opposite. Your ability not to see the harm in speaking Irish around native non Gaeilge speaking Irish and promoting the image of cultural eliteism is why the language is on the way out.

BTW this is all said by someone who takes Irish classes outside of UCD, I just call it like I see it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Wow comhghairdeas! :rolleyes:

dolliemix wrote: »
    Wow comhghairdeas! :rolleyes:

You can speak Irish, good for you!
    picture.php?albumid=729&pictureid=3703

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm not Irish, and when I asked about the Irish language requirement during the interview for my UCD place, the answer I got was basically "meh". There's supposed to be some requirement for me to take my passport to an office and get branded as an Alien! :eek: but that was never requested by UCD.

Almost every use of Irish I have seen, in my ten years here, has been political in nature: clutching at anything that marks Ireland as "Not England", in my view. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I'm just trying to be realistic about it.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gingy

I fully agree that there is definitely a snobbery and elitist mentality with regard to a certain section of the Gaelgoirí in UCD. I do Irish, but never attempt to speak it to anybody who doesn't want to speak it back to me and I have no hard feelings towards anybody who hates the language, but you have to have some respect to people who wish to speak it daily and please don't paint everybody associated with the language in UCD as being an arrogant wancéir!

And yet, they can stay inside the Charter and you can't.

Personal abuse is forbidden, please do not insult other members.
    Why? Irish is not needed for a lot of courses amadan

Is this not as bad as my post :confused:

Is this not as bad as my post :confused:

1. Calling someone a moron is worse than calling someone a fool.

2. No-one reported his post.

3. I didn't notice it.

Infraction given.

amadan is a light hearted insult. Not bad at all. Bit unfair

• Advertisement

amadan is a light hearted insult. Not bad at all. Bit unfair

My knowledge of the subtle nuances of the Irish language are the same as my knowledge of the subtle nuances of traveler etiquette - none.

You used a word in a foreign language - I can only really look at the literal meaning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement