Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teachtaireacht le haghaidh gach **MOD WARNING POST 52**

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Grimes wrote: »
    From my experience some *not all* of the Irish speaking community in UCD are elitest wankesr. I once worked in a place in UCD where two people refused to speak english infront of other people as Irish was our first language. Ignorant tossers.

Now, horse, are you sure it was they who were "ignorant tossers"? After all, you didn't have the intellectual breadth (to be polite) to understand them.

Unfortunately this coloured by experience of the Irish speaking community in UCD.

And boy oh boy, heaven forfend that the Queen's English were represented by just your fine self. Such an open-minded fellow we are blessed to have here indeed.

I think this causes a bit of flak as the Irish community in general is seen as this. For example while in Melgrove a few weeks back I was having a smoke and some lads walked past and started shouting abuse and I quote "the wankers in the Irish house"

Imagine that; English-speaking arseholes. Well, I never!

The rules of the Charter (which you all should have read already *fingerwag*) are clear on the subject, and they have been set out again here.
    If you break the rules after they have been explained (again) to you, you get a ban.

That's the game.

P.S. We have an Irish forum on Boards for all the Gaelgoirs to hang out it.

Oh yeah, contain the f*ckers like in a Reservation. Yeah, such open-minded English speakers we have here.

You used a word in a foreign language.

Reported. This is Boards.ie not Boards.uk. Furthermore, amadán exists in the Oxford English Dictionary, should you ever have the basic intellectual curiosity to look for it.

Speak the spoken language of the country not the first language simply because it was stated so in a document written by a terrorist and a child abuser.

Well, Boards user, "Grimes". Occasionally, I really wish people here would put their real name to a post so that I can ensure that they lose money from their anti-Irish opinions.

Pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Oh my oh my. Thanks for pointing out my typos in some of my previous posts. Judging by that being your main attack on me and my obvious inability to command the english language by striking the wrong key once or twice just proves to me and everyone else in this thread that you dont actually have any valid points. Well done sir, your skills at proving my point in your attemt to rebuke it just ... well I am lost for words.

Oh yeah, contain the f*ckers like in a Reservation. Yeah, such open-minded English speakers we have here.

Your Irish speaking collegue who started this thread had the same idea about the travelling community.

Well, Boards user, "Grimes". Occasionally, I really wish people here would put their real name to a post so that I can ensure that they lose money from their anti-Irish opinions.

No offence but if your in UCD you should know who I am. Im very interested in this post Rebelboy. How do you plan on financially destroying me,are you the type of republican that has IRA on your arm, hates the brits, loves Man United and cant recount his own national history past what he was told in secondary school? Yeah....

Now, horse, are you sure it was they who were "ignorant tossers"? After all, you didn't have the intellectual breadth (to be polite) to understand them.

You cant actually be serious? This post makes it even more probable that you have some sort of mental issue or are just a few fadas short of a foundation level Irish paper. PS: Im pretty sure, you are also bolstering my original opinion.

Imagine that; English-speaking arseholes. Well, I never!

Yeah arseholes speak Irish, English, Russian Greek and a plethora of other languages. Some people are just arseholes. Like you.

Feel free to report this, Ill happily be banned to respond to a tosser like you. Im not anti irish, just anti people like you making a disgrace of our national heritage and make me sick to be Irish. Honestly your attitude of pure militancy towards anyone who holds an opinion that differs from yours puts you in a pretty sad catagory of people. Plus you made a typo in one of your posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Jesica Fletcher

Rebelheart wrote: »

Is sampla foirfe thú den chúis nach labhraíonn daoine Gaeilge. Is páirt d'ár gcultúr í an Ghaeilge. Tá sé iontach go labhraíonn daoine Gaeilge ach tá sé mí-mhúinte agus aineolach daoine eile a ghearadh amach as an gcomhrá. Ní féidir leat intleacht duine a mhaslú de bharr nach labhraíonn siad Gaeilge! I mo dhomhain labhródh gach duine Gaeilge ach ní chuirfinn iachaill ar daoine í a labhairt! Sin saorthoil dhuit a leanbh! Ba chóir dhuit triail a bhaint as daoine a chur ag labhairt i nGaeilge trí bheith fáilteach agus tuisceannach do na botúin, agus tá sé sin dírithe ar daoine eile ar an thread seo freisin!

You are a perfect example of why people are put off speaking Irish. Irish is a part of our culture. It is brilliant that people speak Irish but cutting others out of a conversation is rude and ignorant. You cannot insult a person's intelligence because they don't speak Irish! In my ideal world everyone would speak Irish but I would never force people to. That's free will for you baby! You should try encouraging people to speak Irish by being welcoming and understanding of their mistakes, and that goes to other people on this thread too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

If you want to complain about mod actions, then feel free to take it to the Feedback forum, which can be found under Sys. Mod actions are not to be discussed in thread.

And while I obviously mispoke when I said Irish was a foreign language, it is hard to view English as a foreign imposition anymore, when it is the first language of over 90% of the population.

Anyway, everyone back on the topic of the thread, if you want to discuss the place of Irish language in society, go to the Irish forum, Humanities, or After Hours.

What is the topic of this thead? :confused:

The original post doesn't really mean anything! :D

And I'm not complaining about the modding. Just pointing that out :)

You are a perfect example of why people are put off speaking Irish ... cutting others out of a conversation is rude and ignorant. You cannot insult a person's intelligence because they don't speak Irish!

Indeed. Did you take that from some ready-made speech? In case you haven't noticed - and clearly you haven't - this "Grimes" character is the person who began accusing people of being "ignorant tossers". In this case, he was quite upset that two people in UCD decided to speak to each other in Irish. Wow. And this was the cause of his apoplexy.

The fact that he was so outraged at this "offence" reflects his intelligence level, nothing more and nothing less. Plenty of people cannot speak Irish but they do not react in such a bigoted fashion. Do you understand this basic distinction? Evidently you don't. This Grimes character's evident hatred for Irish reflects his inability to accept diversity in this society. And his own incapacity to write in basic English explains so very much of his hostility towards another language coming anywhere within earshot of him in UCD.
    You should try encouraging people to speak Irish by being welcoming and understanding of their mistakes, and that goes to other people on this thread too!

This is more of the same right-on nonsense just plucked from some ready-made post. My response had nothing whatsoever to do with this guy even attempting to learn Irish. It was not an issue. This poster just went on a rant against Irish. A quick perusal of his posts indicates that this is a common recurrence. If he had even a remote interest in learning Irish I would have been fully supportive. This, again, is basic respect and decency.

But, hey, you sounded so, like, cool, like.

my obvious inability to command the english language by striking the wrong key once or twice.

I'm not quite sure to whom you were addressing that as I was making a general remark about your own lack of decency as an "English speaker" in expecting "Irish speakers" to change language just to suit you. Revealingly, you took this as an attack on your English. I'll leave the rest to Freud.
    Nevertheless, seeing as you've now brought up the subject, I rather think it is more than "once or twice". With the evident inability to grasp remedial English below it's no wonder you're hostile to another language:

Your Irish speaking collegue who started this thread had the same idea about the travelling community. No offence but if your in UCD you should know who I am. Im very interested in this post Rebelboy. How do you plan on financially destroying me,are you the type of republican that has IRA on your arm, hates the brits, loves Man United and cant recount his own national history past what he was told in secondary school? Yeah....
    You cant actually be serious? This post makes it even more probable that you have some sort of mental issue or are just a few fadas short of a foundation level Irish paper. PS: Im pretty sure, you are also bolstering my original opinion. Honestly your attitude of pure militancy towards anyone who holds an opinion that differs from yours puts you in a pretty sad catagory of people.[/quote]

This post makes it even more probable that you have some sort of mental issue .... Some people are just arseholes. Like you. Feel free to report this, Ill happily be banned to respond to a tosser like you.

If you insist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

dolliemix wrote: »
    What is the topic of this thead? :confused:

The original post doesn't really mean anything! :D

And I'm not complaining about the modding. Just pointing that out :)
    This **** has gone on long enough. Locking this thread.

I'm not going to hand out bans, although some of you have definitely earned them. Now why don't you all go get a nice cup of tea and relax.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement