Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turner Stuart Water Pump

Options
  • 30-12-2009 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hello I bought an apartment just over 2 years ago and the pump that feeds the hot water is knackered its not working completley gone and the hot water taps are just a trickle now (cold water fine).
    Its a ''Turner Stuart m330n Water Pump'' my Dad checked the pump with a Phase Tester and there is electric going to it :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Its called a stuart turner or monsoon 330n pump. It usually cost about 400 euro new and about 250 to get fitted. However as the pipe work is already there anyone with DIY skills will fix it.

Sometimes the pump can be repaired

I rec you buy a new one(Maybe online from england it works out cheaper)

get the old one repaired and ask a nice person to fit it.

Important. A stuart turner 330n is a NEGATIVE head pump. So when your friends tell you I am mad and you will get a pump in argos for 100 euro remember it wont do because its not negative head.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

The same one went in my brother's place a couple of months ago, I priced around and it's closer to 600 euro.
    It's usually the pcb or pressure switch that goes.
    I got the shower doctor to fix it, expect to pay just under 200 for a service engineer to come out and repair.
    If you google shower doctor they should come up.
    I'm not connected to them in any way.
    Good luck with it.

The same one went in my brother's place a couple of months ago, I priced around and it's closer to 600 euro.
    It's usually the pcb or pressure switch that goes.
    I got the shower doctor to fix it, expect to pay just under 200 for a service engineer to come out and repair.
    If you google shower doctor they should come up.
    I'm not connected to them in any way.
    Good luck with it.

Worth the repair so... Well done. Is the shower doctor not a uk based company.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

I think they are Irish owned, the business name is Perrika set up by an Irish guy afaik.
    For repair of these type of pumps you have 2 main options, either Shower Doctors or Modern Plant who are the main agent.
    When I called into Modern Plant the guy I spoke to told me it would take him 3 weeks to get it back to me and advised me to go to Shower Doctors.
    The lesson I learned is just leave the pump in situ and get a call out,it's only 40 quid exta as opposed to you taking it to them.

I think they are Irish owned, the business name is Perrika set up by an Irish guy afaik.
    For repair of these type of pumps you have 2 main options, either Shower Doctors or Modern Plant who are the main agent.
    When I called into Modern Plant the guy I spoke to told me it would take him 3 weeks to get it back to me and advised me to go to Shower Doctors.
    The lesson I learned is just leave the pump in situ and get a call out,it's only 40 quid exta as opposed to you taking it to them.

Moden plant will only fix the pump if they supplied it. They trace it by serial number.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

see my thread from a while back on the same pump.

If you have someone reasonably handy there is a very good chance you can fix it for less that €75. I spent that much and it' been fine since, prob only needed to spend €25 or a lot less if you knew for sure what cap to get.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055754847&highlight=turner

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

Hi Folks, sorry for dragging up an old thread. I have the above problem, I searched for the shower doctor and came up with 2 websites, which is the right one?

http://www.theshowerdoctors.ie/
    http://www.showerdoctor.biz/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I would say it's the first one.

Really, I would start by talking to Modern Plant. call the service department, or get your plumber/sparks to ring them. Modern Plant probably supplied the pump, so they are really the best contact point. The way it seems to work is that they get showerdoctors to do the house call if that's what you decide you want.

Make sure to write down the quote you get from showerdoctors over the phone.

usually this problem can be remedied by replacing the PCB. The new design of PCB which they now supply seems to be better than the old one. There are a few other things it could be.

Hi Folks, sorry for dragging up an old thread. I have the above problem, I searched for the shower doctor and came up with 2 websites, which is the right one?

http://www.theshowerdoctors.ie/
    http://www.showerdoctor.biz/index.html

Neither

www.showerdoctor.co.uk

You log your question in the techanical forum

ps: modern plant will not touch the pumpif they did not sell it. I am 99% sure they did not sell you this as they market there 330n pumps as monsoon not stuart turner. There 1.5 bar positive head is a stuart turner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Im Just A Girl

Cheers guys ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 The Shower Doctors

If you have trouble with pumps give me a call or pm.
    We have full test facilities here but most pumps can be fixed on site.
    www.theshowerdoctors.ie
    cheers
    Steve

Neither

www.showerdoctor.co.uk

You log your question in the techanical forum

ps: modern plant will not touch the pumpif they did not sell it. I am 99% sure they did not sell you this as they market there 330n pumps as monsoon not stuart turner. There 1.5 bar positive head is a stuart turner.
    Sorry to correct you but this is untrue.
    Modern Plant LtD distribute both Stuart Turner and Monsoon.These are two brand names used by the same manufacturer.
    Cheers
    Steve

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The pump should be fed from a local spur outlet. Check that the fuse is not blown before calling anyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Modern Plant LtD distribute both Stuart Turner and Monsoon.These are two brand names used by the same manufacturer.
    Cheers
    Steve

Joeys point was that if MP didnt supply it they will not fix it. (So if you bought it online from the UK for example you are on your own)

Fair point.
    If you have trouble with your pump no matter whereyou bought it give me a shout.
    Cheers
    Steve

Cheers
    Steve
    GreeBo wrote: »
    Joeys point was that if MP didnt supply it they will not fix it. (So if you bought it online from the UK for example you are on your own)
    Fair point.
    If you have trouble with your pump no matter whereyou bought it give me a shout.
    Cheers
    Steve

Thank you greebo... That was my point exactly... You buy a uk pump your on your own.

Just out of curiosity... Where did the name "Showerdoctor.ie come from... Is it affiliated to showerdoctor.co.uk.

Is it a registered trading name.

If you buy an Irish pump and there's a problem, chances are shower doctors will be out to fix it. By the sounds of it, they will come out and fix a UK pump too. No doubt they would charge you, but you could pursue the retailer by means of the European Small Claims Procedure for the cost.

From what I can see, though, you can buy a pump for half the price in the UK. So even if one blows up on you, you're probably still even money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭jjd

Had the same issue on the pump in my sisters house
    A twin negative head pump (stuart turner) several times a day the pump tripped out you turn the tap and nothing she would go out and replace the fuse and it would work again for a while the floor of the airing press was littered with fuses
    first thing to note is there was nothing wrong with the fuses if you take out the fuse for a few seconds it resets the pump
    next thing to note is when it would not work it just buzzed and if left trying it tripped out (thermal overload ) the pump itself was roasting
    needless to say she did not have €800 for a new pump
    after looking on here i seen that you could buy a new board €53 inc vat @modern plant
    so i got one and replaced the board without removing the pump (easy enough)
    after replacing the board it was still the same
    then i noticed a 400 v capacitor to start the pump
    so back out to modern plant €28 inc vat
    problem solved been running for a month now no issues .:)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

jjd wrote: »
    Had the same issue on the pump in my sisters house
    A twin negative head pump (stuart turner) several times a day the pump tripped out you turn the tap and nothing she would go out and replace the fuse and it would work again for a while the floor of the airing press was littered with fuses
    first thing to note is there was nothing wrong with the fuses if you take out the fuse for a few seconds it resets the pump
    next thing to note is when it would not work it just buzzed and if left trying it tripped out (thermal overload ) the pump itself was roasting
    needless to say she did not have €800 for a new pump
    after looking on here i seen that you could buy a new board €53 inc vat @modern plant
    so i got one and replaced the board without removing the pump (easy enough)
    after replacing the board it was still the same
    then i noticed a 400 v capacitor to start the pump
    so back out to modern plant €28 inc vat
    problem solved been running for a month now no issues .:
    )

good work! exactly what I did on this thread: (except the positioning of mine made it impossible without removing pump)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055754847&highlight=turner

pity you didn't see that one first and you wouldn't have ended up with the extra cct boards like me!

Although I do agree with most of what is said on this thread in relation to PCB's and capacitors,I would like to add just one word of caution.
    It is possible in some situations that the resulting failure of a PCB can be more of an effect than the cause of the initial problem.For example, if a pump is constantly going on and off every few minutes, this will result in the failure of the PCB.However when the PCB is replaced the pump may continue to cut in and out.This is because the initial problem was with the non return valves passing causing the pump to come on and go off rather than the PCB.
    I hope this helps.
    Steve

• Advertisement

If that were the problem Steve, what would be the remedy?

By-the-by, in my experience, the reason for PCB failures was to do with power surges. The power supply (part of the PCB that steps down the voltage from 230v to 5v) was not that well designed and was easily blown. Stuart Turner seem to have put a better quality power supply on the later boards. (Fair play to them, the recurring sales of the boards could have been a nice earner.)

Antoin.

Hi Antoin
    The first thing I will say is we are talking about negative head pumps here.
    The problem is, although the pressure is building up enough to operate the pressure switch it is not holding, there is a leak. this could be on the supply side where a tap washer is leaking or a loo not shuting off.Or it could be on the pressure side of the pump which would mean a pressure vessel or non return valve fault.
    Thr trick is to know which,and unfortunatly in that instance one would have to see the pump.
    cheers
    Steve

Advertisement