Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ennis "head shop" legality under review

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

neither headshop will sell Blow anymore, its massive around the town, i wonder were they threatened,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Seen a few people on that Blow stuff. They always look like hell so you can see it across a room. See them twitching and shaking and stuff.

A second head shop got firebombed in Dublin last night.

It's good stuff, pity can't get it anymore,
    I never got twitches or shakes as you say !
    are you sure you hadn't too much ice in your drink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭entropic

golfball37 wrote: »
    Broken into for the 3rd time on Saturday night I believe.

The head shops in Limerick have been around for years (well one has) and were doing fine. They had their clients and stayed out of the public eye. Now with the dramatic rise in shops they have gotten attention that really they didn't need.
    If what you say is true its very sad and I hope that something is done about it but I imagine that this is something that the gardai are not going to put many resources into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

I discovered my 14 year old is smoking this **** from the head shop on a regular basis. I am so upset, i had the chat last night about the effects etc.

Told him while this was a friendly chat the next time I would literally make his life miserable, leave him penniless, stalk him and his friends, go to parents and stand outside the head shop all day in protest if i have to.

I am not naive i know this would happen, i would even prefer him to be smoking hash than that ****, not that i would ever say that to him!!!

He doesnt even smoke fags! He said his school is rife with it and every single one of his friends smoke it. This is not good

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

maiden wrote: »
    I discovered my 14 year old is smoking this **** from the head shop on a regular basis. I am so upset, i had the chat last night about the effects etc.

Told him while this was a friendly chat the next time I would literally make his life miserable, leave him penniless, stalk him and his friends, go to parents and stand outside the head shop all day in protest if i have to.

I am not naive i know this would happen, i would even prefer him to be smoking hash than that ****, not that i would ever say that to him!!!

He doesnt even smoke fags! He said his school is rife with it and every single one of his friends smoke it. This is not good

This is the problem. When I was young hash was hard to find and you didn't smoke enough of it to do permanant damage... (Well, sorta) It was a bit like a one off treat that you would big up beyond all recognition for most people. With this crap (Which is very similar to weed, in terms of effects) you can buy a lot for 5 euros. I shudder to think of the kids growing up fully accustomed to this kind of crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

How are they getting their hands on the stuff? Are you saying the shop in Ennis is actually selling it to U18s or is there an older person going in and purchasing it for them. We used to do the same as teenagers, albeit outside off licences, but in this case, it would be worrying.

My son said he had never bought as he doesnt need to because all his friends have it. He also said his school (Flannans) is rife with it! He can get it anytime there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭golfball37

The headshop at the back of Parnell Street car park are very strict about serving under 18's.

Its only fair to mention that on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 hairless

Does anyone know what is in these products and what the effects are? I've been searching all over the internet to find any real scientific information but can't find a thing... It makes it hard to have a real conversation about this when no-one knows for sure if it's really dangerous or if it's a decent alternative from sending kids out to buy god knows what from criminals on the street. Young people are going to try things, and anyone who things otherwise either doesn't have children or doesn't know them very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

There lies the problem Hairless.
    Debating the ethics of headshops at this present time is friutless.
    I also have searched for research results on these products and cannot
    find any official publications. So, My problem is that we have shops selling
    chemicals that are been used for human consumption that we know absolutly nothing about. Even the traders selling homemade scones in the market square must be accountable for their products. In the interest of our youths safety , Thsese shops must be closed pending investigation of their products .If they are regulated to the extent where consumers know what the ingredients are and it has been proved not to be a health risk
    then they should be allowed to trade. They will then be tradeing on equal parr with all the liscened premises and will be held accountable for any infringments on their liscence.
    Of course this is all a wet dream ,because it would take responsible government action to impliment such a scheme and all our legislaters are too busy scrolling the travel agencys brouchures looking for the state sponsered annual ST patricks day free junket to timbuktoo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 hairless

I'm with you fireside, up to a point...

we are legally selling booze which, in my opinion, is far more damaging to both health and society than cannabis. so there is a precedent and even a respectability about mind altering substances in Irish society. Personally, I'm okay with that - up to a point.
    there are also tonnes of products legally on sale - such as aerosols cans - which we know seriously damage your health when people try to get high using them.
    young people are going to experiment. there are going to do it today, tomorrow and forever. That's an unchanging reality of life.

what i'm driving at here is that if we shut down these places today, there customers will become the customers of drug dealers tomorrow. i'm definitely in favor of testing and regulating what gets sold and doing that asap. but if we are going to ban something that MIGHT be dangerous (and at the same time send kids to the drug dealers) the we should first ban things that we KNOW are dangerous such as Guinness, Sure Deodorant and magic markers.

Well, Once again the government have blown an opportunity to tackle
    this issue in a serious manner.New legislation which should become law in june has banned some items sold ..History will tell us that they will be replaced overnight with a similar product but with a change in contents.
    So, Once again no one will have any idea of it's contents or harmful effects.What part of Regulation & Open Debate do our government not understand.If we are to get serious on this issue we must have imput from shop owners,suppliers,medical experts and regulatery bodies.They have rushed in some half arsed legislation to make them look as if they are taking action,This is simply not good enough.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0303/drugs.html

I can confirm that the one in chapel lane has sold to a 13 year old, now he does look older but def 13.

I can confirm that the one in chapel lane has sold to a 13 year old, now he does look older but def 13.
    If you have valid proof i think you should make a report to the guards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

If you have valid proof i think you should make a report to the guards.

I don't know what they (the guards) can really do other than take a statement.

I'm all for regulation and keeping these shops open, but selling to a 13 year old, these retailers are doing themselves no favours if they are claiming to self regulate and convince the general public that they can do business ethically and responsibly.

loctite wrote: »
    I don't know what they (the guards) can really do other than take a statement.

Hopefully , If enough people report wrongdoings on behalf of these traders
    our government just might wake up and bring in proper legislation to regulate the industry.
    As you have said, They are doing themselves no favours by selling to minors. If they want to be seen as legitimate proprieters then they have to act in a responsible manner.
    Parents have enough to worry about these days ,and dont need the extra stress worrying if their johnny or mary is visiting the headshop and getting served. No matter how aware they make their kids on the dangers , we all
    know how peer pressure can lead even the best of kids into doing stupid things. (i'm sure we all have had our moments).
    I met an addiction counsellor at a meeting this week and the horror stories
    i heard on the damage caused by these chemicals is absolutly frightening.
    Psychosis is one of the after affects from some of these drugs.
    It can often be counter affected with medication ,but as the medical staff have no idea what chemicals have already been ingested into the system they cannot administer treatement..Frightening Stuff.:mad:

Hopefully , If enough people report wrongdoings on behalf of these traders

This is purely a value statement as the traders are doing no wrong, from a legal point of view, so if every person in Ennis complained to the guards they still can do nothing. Immoral to sell to under ages perhaps but not illegal. As enforcers of the law, the gardai's hands are tied.

The failure to regulate lie with government and yet again they have made a half arsed attempt to try sweep this issue under the carpet by announcing to introduce legislation to ban certain products which will probably be replaced by new products next week of similar quality/ effect, well before legislation is passed.

I feel for parents, I really do. But you have to realise that drugs are available everywhere. There are dealers in every school whether you like it or not and don't think that your little Johnny won't be able to obtain them from other ILLEGAL sources. This is a very emotive issue for those who have children, but my stance would remain unchanged whether I have children or not. I have experienced first hand the effect of long term drug use from both "recreational" and class A's. I know about the effects of psychosis, depression and suicide related to drug use. This is why I don't take any of these products (legal or illegal).

But this will not detract from the fact that there will always be a massive massive demand for drugs. So take it out of the hands of criminals, regulate the industry, promote "sensible" drug taking and let this country face up to the problems that are staring us in the face re drugs and alcohol.

Great Post Loctite.:)
    You have said it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Is this place on Chapel Lane? I walked down there this evening and I couldn't see it. I must have mistaken it for some other place. Thats the lane down by Celtic Bookmakers isn't it?

• Advertisement

Ah come on, having a shop in the middle of town is different to the illegal dealers. Im not naive, of course kids will access illegal drugs but to flaunt the products is a different ball game and there are punishments for the illegal dealers.

I dont know what the answer is, but i sure do not want any headshops in my town selling to 13 year olds.

i dont know anyone who tried hash before ever trying a fag but i know kids smoking from the head shop who have never ever smoked a fag!

finbarrk wrote: »
    Is this place on Chapel Lane? I walked down there this evening and I couldn't see it. I must have mistaken it for some other place. Thats the lane down by Celtic Bookmakers isn't it?

Walked down there yestersay, its between Tony Quinns shop and the pet shop

Ah come on, having a shop in the middle of town is different to the illegal dealers. Im not naive, of course kids will access illegal drugs but to flaunt the products is a different ball game and there are punishments for the illegal dealers.

This is part of the problem...... you see it as flaunting?! Would you rather live in a false sense of security that because head shops are closed therefore Little J won't be able to get drugs as easily???

and there punishments and criminal records waiting for your kids who are caught experimenting with hash etc too...... So get caught and perhaps wave goodbye to a visa to growing economies??

loctite wrote: »
    This is part of the problem...... you see it as flaunting?! Would you rather live in a false sense of security that because head shops are closed therefore Little J won't be able to get drugs as easily???

Yes it is flaunting, Its a f***ing shop! The one in the car park isnt exactly descreet.

False sense of security! My eyes are wide open, i know exactly how easily drugs are to get. Because a head shop is closed you think i would feel secure, i have teenagers, I will never be secure again, thats what happens when you have kids. I knew i would always have to fight the hash etc battles but now i have two battles to fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Insulting_Bitch

Bhamjee is the biggest drug dealer in Ennis

Perhaps it is time the Clare forum gets a moderator?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Perhaps it is time the Clare forum gets a moderator?

Oh please :rolleyes: the comment you referred to was used as a metaphor.

Are you saying the mods aren't doing their jobs?

was in the main shop this evening
    was asking the owner what the story with the june ban,
    doesnt make any difference he says, already has new stock bath salt products in ZIP was the one he showed me, that circumvents the ban so govt stupid blind sighted decisions backfired already

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Insulting_Bitch

Oh please :rolleyes: the comment you referred to was used as a metaphor.

Are you saying the mods aren't doing their jobs?

Look at it like this, if that comment was left in reference to you or any associated with you (I am not associated with Dr Bhamjee) you would not be best pleased to have your name used in such a metaphor.

Ever hear of defamation? Ever hear of libel? It's a big money spinner.

Reagrding the mods, there is no allocated modedrator for the Clare forum only the Mid-West forum. That comment was something could easily slip through but if was looked at in the way in which I saw it couls easily cause another sh*tstorm for this site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

BOBBY wrote: »
    was in the main shop this evening
    was asking the owner what the story with the june ban,
    doesnt make any difference he says, already has new stock bath salt products in ZIP was the one he showed me, that circumvents the ban so govt stupid blind sighted decisions backfired already

Bobby, are you sure they aren't firelighters?

Mind how you go.

Advertisement