Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog safe disinfectant?

• 30-12-2009 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

We have a large run built for our dog, it’s a decked, and has a roof over it

At the end the of the run there is a step down to a patch of soil.

I pick up the poop daily, and disinfect the area every 2nd or 3rd day.
    I use rain water collected in buckets, and use 1capful of dettol to 1gallon of water, usually pour two buckets over the area and give it a scrub down with a yard brush.

Is there a better alternative? Or a home made solution that could be used instead
    Not sure dettol would be best for the dog or the soil.

Cheers in advance for any advice or tips

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I use Safe4pets its brilliant, and is, as the name suggests, safe for pets, you can put the dogs back into the run while its still wet and its completely harmless. There is a stockist in the North that delivers to the South and it comes in lots of lovely fragrances, I love the apple one, the kennels smell lovely:D

http://fionnhealth.com/index.php?cPath=23&osCsid=22389a988df2746809b6c5398be597a4

I and a lot of other dog owners also use it on grass and big outdoor areas, using a sprayer that you might use for weedkiller etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Sorgene is excellent, breaks down into water and oxygen or something similar so is ok for environment. Used diluted it's safe for animals and they don't have to wait until it's dry. Good for regular cleaning. Think you can get it in agriculture providers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Anything that goes cloudy in water should be steered clear of when it comes to dogs and animals in general. If you use one that stays clear in water it should do the trick (at the level that you are diluting it at) - I think "Dettol" (the brand) do some that are safe for use in areas with animals. I generally use Milton with a bit of biological washing powder to clean areas where the dogs go and give it a really good rinse with clean water. With regards to your soil, any regular use of cleaner will degenerate your soil but it shouldn't become unusable unless you are using very harsh cleaners. If you are concerned about the soil, maybe rinse it when you are finished to dilute anything that got into it further.

Veterinary cleaning products are a good choice too - Formula H, Virkon, Trigene or Sorgene to name a few. Most vets will stock one of these to use in their own practice and generally are fine with clients buying some for themselves, they come in large bottles (5 litres) that are concentrated and need to be diluted so for domestic use it would last for ages. Perhaps contact your local vet and they can help you access some for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

We have a similar issue in that the run off goes into the soil (very big garden so plenty of drainage) so I try to stay clear of anything that is too harsh.

If they had the runs or I'm doing a major spring clean I will use a large bucket of water with just a squirt of bleach. People over do bleach and other products you don't need loads just a squirt.

However for day to day cleaning I use a bit of Fairy liquid, a splash of cheap vinegar and then a good few drops of lavender or tea tree oil. Both of which are antiseptic/antifungal as is vinegar and the fairy liquid helps it all cling.
    If you have a timber deck then something like this would be better for the wood too I use the same solution on all the floors in the house as well.

Lavender and tea tree are safe for dogs so something like this is fine even if they walk on it. Although you can let it sit a bit then rinse off. Leaves a lovely smell, no chemical smells. I find a stronger solution will also help get rid of any really stubborn pongs.

It works out cheaper too, bleach is very commonly used for cleaning dog kennels as long as you rinse and let dry before popping the dogs back in and then the other solution is cheap as well because you only need a few drops of the essential oil.

Just be careful what essential oil you use orange oil is lovely but allow to dry before putting the dogs back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

Not sure dettol would be best for the dog or the soil.

Dettol is actually toxic to dogs and cats, you probably should try find an alternative.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Craig Butler Wash safe IRL

I'd advise some environmental safe products without chemicals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Teetree oil is meant to be a great disinfectant, few drops in a bucket of water should do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'd advise some environmental safe products without chemicals

+1 We use Safe4Pets and find it very good - it's expensive but it's concentrated so lasts ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Wash Safe IRL

Yes i agree as long at does what it says on the tin, and it good for the environment i'd use it...

Advertisement