Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water smells of bleach!

Options
  • 30-12-2009 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭

I'm in Celbridge and have noticed a smell of bleach from the tap water but usually only after i've poured a glass. The smell kinda goes but the water still doesn't taste great?

Anyone else notice this or know why its happening?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Doodoo wrote: »
    I'm in Celbridge and have noticed a smell of bleach from the tap water but usually only after i've poured a glass. The smell kinda goes but the water still doesn't taste great?

Anyone else notice this or know why its happening?

I think that local councils add more chemicals to the water supply during periods of heavy rain. I think these chemicals remove particles in solution and prevent the tap water appearing cloudy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Yeah, chlorine is added to water to disinfect it after the other treatment processes. This chlorine is what you're smelling (it's the same smell you get at the swimming pool, and household bleach-though household bleach is much much stronger concentration), and it does vary slightly from time to time depending on the load on the treatment plant and how quickly the water gets to you.

Advertisement