Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FETAC continued assessment modules

Options
  • 30-12-2009 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

I am doing a FETAC course & 1 of the modules has no exam, just continued assessment. The whole class submits the required assignments in time but nobody ever shows up for this class, the teacher only knows 2 or 3 names because the rest are never there. Is attendace part of continued assessment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Laydee wrote: »
    I am doing a FETAC course & 1 of the modules has no exam, just continued assessment. The whole class submits the required assignments in time but nobody ever shows up for this class, the teacher only knows 2 or 3 names because the rest are never there. Is attendace part of continued assessment?

It should be, but I think it is up to the lecturer at the end of the day. The lecturer should have contact with the other students if they are submitting their assignments. How are they doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Laydee

He hasn't corrected everything, it is all to be suubmitted & will be corrected at the end of the year.
    He says "If you make the effort you get results" but has never actually said anything about the absenteeism.
    Out of a class of 30 only 4 or 5 ever turn up to his class.

Laydee wrote: »
    He hasn't corrected everything, it is all to be suubmitted & will be corrected at the end of the year.
    He says "If you make the effort you get results" but has never actually said anything about the absenteeism.
    Out of a class of 30 only 4 or 5 ever turn up to his class.

Is he a good lecturer? I thought that you couldn't submit assignments if you didn't turn up for at least 50% of classes (not saying that I always did that).

Has he given you no results through out the year? I assumed one of the main reasons for CA is to help you improve on previous results and get feedback.

You should check out the course requirements online, looking at some of the FETAC courses 75% - 90% attendance is required in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Laydee

The reason the majority of the class stopped going is because he has nothing to tell us, he covered everything in the first few classes & left us to our own devices.
    When we do show up to class he just asks how far we are on the required assignments. It's a VEC college & we were told nothing about attendance being a condition of submitting.
    I can take back something that I submitted & change it as the actual submission date is not until March or April. It's all quite messy compared to our other modules.
    I am just a bit concerned that attendace is a factor contributing to this continued assessment. He does take the attendace record at the start of the class.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

I would suggest speaking with your Course Co-ordinator or the Principal of the centre. Is it a large centre or a small PLC centre ? The tutor is subject to Department of Education and Science inspection and is required to have a Scheme of Work and a log of what is covered in each class available to both the Principal and the Department.

In addition the tutor is required to ensure that his/her procedures etc follow the centre's FETAC Quality Assuarance procedures as agreed with FETAC. This QA policy should indicate the method of procedure for the assigning of work and its submission and procedures for feedback to learners etc.

At the end of the day if you are not happy with your result in the module you can appeal both the result and the processes ie method of instruction for the submission of the assignment(s) to FETAC.

If the module is Communications (as I suspect it may) then log on to FETAC and follow the links to the syallbus for the module. All modules syallbi are available on the FETAC website. This will allow you to see how the marks are allocated for each assessment and what you should be able to do on completion of the module. The skills are as important as the result.

• Advertisement

I would suggest speaking with your Course Co-ordinator or the Principal of the centre.

Should you not speak with the lecturer first? just to see what they are thinking? If it is a small class the tutor should pretty approachable.

Advertisement