Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EIRCOM DROPS SPEED! around 20:00 in evening...

• 30-12-2009 9:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭

hey guys, i am using eircom for 5 years now, and allmoust newer had atrouble with it...

thought now it became really annoying: speed drops to 0,5mbit from 6mbit at around 20:00...

during the day it was still decent connection, evening are frustrating!!! Ithought someone joined to mine wireless ( iphone etc), becouse i live just above a busy pub, but i changed to unique wep key...

Any thoughts? is it becouse of weather? eircom hacked again? Something else?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

uh oh, you should use WPA not WEP

anyway , change the wifi channel while changing the password, if 6 or 7 try 1 or 11 and restart and see what happens.

if still a problem give us your line stats ( expert mode > speeds and DB readings up and down)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

would you mind giving me your opinion on my line stats, as i am in cork also, im on a 3mb business package and recently playing my ps3 online has lag spikes every so often that are very annoying, even if they only last a second or two

when i try to ping sites like www.jolt.co.uk i am sometimes getting a request timeout so im thinking major packet loss?

i am using the google dns servers not eircoms

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384
    SN Margin (dB) 26.00 8.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 40.00 22.00
    CRC Errors 1419 0

speed checks indicate only 2.4 meg download ability, when for years its being near bang on 3mb speeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

heres mine bud:
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 7168
    SN Margin (dB) 12.50
    Line Attenuation (dB) 17.50
    CRC Errors 23

if thats the right thing? i havent tryed to changce channel yet, as i am stuck on internet, and cant restart atm :o.

what would be the difference between wep and WPA ( sorry for being newb), and i have mine own iphone aswell athome, so i whant to keep it connected all the time ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

BArra wrote: »
    would you mind giving me your opinion on my line stats, as i am in cork also, im on a 3mb business package and recently playing my ps3 online has lag spikes every so often that are very annoying, even if they only last a second or two

when i try to ping sites like www.jolt.co.uk i am sometimes getting a request timeout so im thinking major packet loss?

i am using the google dns servers not eircoms

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384
    SN Margin (dB) 26.00 8.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 40.00 22.00
    CRC Errors 1419 0

speed checks indicate only 2.4 meg download ability, when for years its being near bang on 3mb speeds

The line attenuation and SNR are good enough for a bit more than 6 megs, but you're getting noise when you really shouldn't. Have you seen frequent disconnects?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

heres mine bud:
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 7168
    SN Margin (dB) 12.50
    Line Attenuation (dB) 17.50
    CRC Errors 23

if thats the right thing? i havent tryed to changce channel yet, as i am stuck on internet, and cant restart atm :o.

what would be the difference between wep and WPA ( sorry for being newb), and i have mine own iphone aswell athome, so i whant to keep it connected all the time ;)

WEP doesn't work, WPA does (against all but the very determined/bored). Try wired and changing channels to help rule out the wireless aspect as already mentioned.

• Advertisement

Spear wrote: »
    WEP doesn't work, WPA does (against all but the very determined/bored). Try wired and changing channels to help rule out the wireless aspect as already mentioned.

okay, i just went and changed the channel from 7 to 11, but i did not changed password, do i need to change pasword aswell to take full effecT? as now nothing changed...

okay, i just went and changed the channel from 7 to 11, but i did not changed password, do i need to change pasword aswell to take full effecT? as now nothing changed...

Change the key and the encryption type to WPA.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

same thing here and my pings are going mad around the same time

1 7 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.1.254
    2 27 ms 27 ms 26 ms b-ras1.rtd.sligo.eircom.net [159.134.155.25]
    3 970 ms 1022 ms 409 ms 86.43.243.226
    4 949 ms 1030 ms 1019 ms 159.134.125.46
    5 730 ms 956 ms 299 ms 159.134.198.138

terrible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Any chance these are just contention issues??

Change the key and the encryption type to WPA.

right, there are 2 types of wpa:psk and 802.1x, it does not give any passowrds... I am cluless there...

How will i connect mine iphone with WPA?

• Advertisement

right, there are 2 types of wpa:psk and 802.1x, it does not give any passowrds... I am cluless there...

How will i connect mine iphone with WPA?

iPhone's support WPA. WPA/PSK is fine.

iPhone's support WPA. WPA/PSK is fine.

hmmm i explored a bit more, i can make mine own pasword right?

hmmm i explored a bit more, i can make mine own pasword right?

Of course. Something non-dictionary and lengthy enough is ideal.

well i did changed to WPA, made mine own nice password, channel is 11, and its still same sh*te lads :(!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 danoxx1

For mine it was 0.5 mb but i released that i was downloading paused and went to 2.70mb and normal 2.65-3mb and the weather may take its stand in the next week or so :mad::mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

meh i've all but given up on eircom at this point. it was fine til about 4 weeks ago (about the time of the floods). the connection at peak went to less than 1/3 of what speed we normally got.

they rang us, saying there was no problem with the exchange, and i ended up buying a linksys modem and router and all, but its still crap.

now i got my mate that just told me hes been getting the exact same problems as me for the same period of time on the exact same exchange, yet eircom say nothings wrong? :confused:

EDIT: Also, something interesting, Digiweb rang me after I inquired about the packages they offered. They couldnt offer me a faster speed than 1mb (I'm also on 1mb on eircom because they said I couldnt get any faster), and Digiweb said that I CAN get a faster line, but eircom have to release the throttle on my line themselves. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

The line attenuation and SNR are good enough for a bit more than 6 megs, but you're getting noise when you really shouldn't. Have you seen frequent disconnects?

interesting, thanks for that.

i get the odd one but no they wouldnt be happening a lot

what would u advise to do?

i went to ring eircom tonight but they closed their lines at 7pm

BArra wrote: »
    interesting, thanks for that.

i get the odd one but no they wouldnt be happening a lot

what would u advise to do?

i went to ring eircom tonight but they closed their lines at 7pm

Can you hear crackling on the phone? If you can you could raise a line fault with Eircom. Whether Eircom consider it bad enough to actually do anything is another issue though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

meh i've all but given up on eircom at this point. it was fine til about 4 weeks ago (about the time of the floods). the connection at peak went to less than 1/3 of what speed we normally got.

they rang us, saying there was no problem with the exchange, and i ended up buying a linksys modem and router and all, but its still crap.

now i got my mate that just told me hes been getting the exact same problems as me for the same period of time on the exact same exchange, yet eircom say nothings wrong? :confused:

Eircom work by power of numbers. If it is a contention issue and it does sound like that to me then get as many people with the same issue to call up support. One or two calls and they cannot say there is an issue in the exchange only isolated incidents on those lines. Power in numbers.

EDIT: Also, something interesting, Digiweb rang me after I inquired about the packages they offered. They couldnt offer me a faster speed than 1mb (I'm also on 1mb on eircom because they said I couldnt get any faster), and Digiweb said that I CAN get a faster line, but eircom have to release the throttle on my line themselves. :/

There is no such thing as a throttle on the line. Something like that would make no sense. Believe me, Eircom will offer you the max available to you or in some cases whats not available to you and you get half the speed advertised. I reckon you have to take digiwebs offer with a pinch of salt if refering to broadband over landline. They could sell you 7mb but you may still only get one. They may mean their metro service or fixed wireless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

I had the same problem with Eircom, speed kept dropping from 7Mbps to 1Mbps each evening. Lots and lots of phone calls got me nowhere, they tried to help but couldn't find anything wrong. The 'exchange' engineer said there wasn't congestion. But as their contention ration is 48:1 he was probably just stating they are within their SLA.

Do yourself a favour and move to another provider, I changed to Digiweb (12:1 ratio) and now have full 7mbps all the time.

Here's my thread on my experiences - http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055708557

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

There is no such thing as a throttle on the line. Something like that would make no sense. Believe me, Eircom will offer you the max available to you or in some cases whats not available to you and you get half the speed advertised. I reckon you have to take digiwebs offer with a pinch of salt if refering to broadband over landline. They could sell you 7mb but you may still only get one. They may mean their metro service or fixed wireless.

Well I kinda knew that already, which is why i suprised me. I cant get wireless or their metro service and they knew it.

@bambam. Digiweb told me I would only get a 48:1 contention ratio on any packages that I am able to recieve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

ah, I see it's only on the DSL Xtra and upwards products
    http://digiweb.ie/home/broadband/dsl/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭TskTsk

bambam wrote: »

Do yourself a favour and move to another provider, I changed to Digiweb (12:1 ratio) and now have full 7mbps all the time.

Here's my thread on my experiences - http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055708557

I had exactly the same issue, starting around the same time as yours too. I made several calls to Eircom over a 2-3 week period and even emailed them conclusive graphs showing that my bandwidth was dropping from 7Mb to <1Mb after 6:00pm. They escalated the problem to "the engineers" twice, but the same answer came back both times... "there is no fault on the line". At no point could I get them to admit that they were throttling, and they barely admitted that it might just be congestion. I told them I thought it very odd that this just started happening all of a sudden, and that there was no gradual degradation of service.

Anyway, I cancelled the service and ordered a 20Mb line from NTL the same day. Within 2 hours of cancelling, I had a few missed calls on my landline from "the engineers" to query if the problem had been resolved. Typical :)

TskTsk wrote: »
    I had exactly the same issue, starting around the same time as yours too. I made several calls to Eircom over a 2-3 week period and even emailed them conclusive graphs showing that my bandwidth was dropping from 7Mb to <1Mb after 6:00pm. They escalated the problem to "the engineers" twice, but the same answer came back both times... "there is no fault on the line". At no point could I get them to admit that they were throttling, and they barely admitted that it might just be congestion. I told them I thought it very odd that this just started happening all of a sudden, and that there was no gradual degradation of service.

Anyway, I cancelled the service and ordered a 20Mb line from NTL the same day. Within 2 hours of cancelling, I had a few missed calls on my landline from "the engineers" to query if the problem had been resolved. Typical :)

NTL is not offering broadband in mine town :(, and same problem tonight...

when i came home from work it was 4mbit++ and now its barely 1mbit... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭MichaelR

during the day it was still decent connection, evening are frustrating!!! Ithought someone joined to mine wireless ( iphone etc), becouse i live just above a busy pub, but i changed to unique wep key...

Checking for that would be easy. Use a network wire (patch cord) to connect a computer to your router. From the wired connection, use the router's admin interface to disable wireless. Check your speed.

If the speed goes back up, you have been hacked OR have trouble on the wireless connection (interference?)

Advertisement