Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on broken bed!

Options
  • 30-12-2009 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Just a quick question and any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Renting an apartment for the last 6 months or so. Anyway, our bed has broken, through no fault of ours! The long piece of wood running down the middle, of the base of the bed broke in the middle and some of the smaller horizontal pieces.
    I don't really know what to tell our landlord, then the main question here being, does she need to sort this out for us and get us a new bed/get this fixed, or do we have to deal with it ourselves?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I fail to see how its anybodies fault but your own, its certainly not the landlords responsibility as i assume the bed was fine when you moved in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

no way! the exact same thing happened to my bed a few weeks ago. I turned over in my sleep and the same piece of wood split, and a few smaller pieces were also damaged. I just propped the middle of the wood up with a few more pieces of wood but it's still broken!

Funny enough 2 pieces of wood were left over after the bed was assembled - I assumed they were meant to support the long piece of wood but they weren't the right size and were clearly labelled for another model of bed so I just binned them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

How old is it, could have failed though age and wear and tear in which case the LL should replace it.

More likely though that it is fairly new and maybe it was your fault for one reason or another. Talk to LL and explain, see what he say but I wouldn't be expecting anything.

Why there would be wood there rather than steel/ aluminium is beyond me. I bought an Ikea bed and it has great big metal bar running down the centre for support, much stronger than wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,364 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I had a newish bed break because of faulty materials used (there was a know in the timber).

However, beds don't normally just break by themselves, so a little investigation into why it broke would be useful.

Do you want to post pictures of the broken part(s)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

broken-bed.gif

my bed looks a little something like this lolz. Mods, this is only a joke, please don't ban me!

OK, have a look at this:
    2516542270079908402uFApvP_th.jpg

see the white beam down the middle? it broke in two , and some of the lats were also damaged. I think this is the same for the op

• Advertisement
Advertisement