Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New laptop but didn't get the is on disc

• 30-12-2009 10:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

I got a new laptop with windows 7 for Christmas as a present. However the is wasn't on a disc. Is this normal?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yes. There will be a recovery partition instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Is that as good? Why do they not give you the disc? So you won't copy it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Bob Z wrote: »
    Is that as good? Why do they not give you the disc? So you won't copy it?

No it's not as good. And it's cheaper to add a recovery partition rather than include an additional disc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

If yours come with no disk you should create your own recovery disk, asap.

When you first turned on the PC it should have given you the option to create one, you may still have an icon on your desk top for this propose.

If not go to the Help & Support section, type recovery disk and follow the instructions.

And unless you really need to do not delete the recovery partition.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭roberthurley14

yeh "pc"world and others usually dont give you a seven disc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Most manufacturers don't give the OS disks nowadays probably as a way to reduce costs. Bit of a pain in the ass. Dell give them out on some of their models.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Encoder1970

If you google "windows 7 recovery cd" you'll get some options.
    The first few links will show you how to create a disc.

is the widows recovery disc the samwe as a acronis or norton ghost image?

Not the most knowledgeable with computers now, but I've had my pc (vista) for about a year and a half now. Never got a disc with it, never made one, and I've reformatted several times without any hassle.

Is there any other reason you'd need to make a disc? (My PC used to prompt me every two months or so, it seemed, but I never bothered).

Not the most knowledgeable with computers now, but I've had my pc (vista) for about a year and a half now. Never got a disc with it, never made one, and I've reformatted several times without any hassle.

Is there any other reason you'd need to make a disc? (My PC used to prompt me every two months or so, it seemed, but I never bothered).

The formats you did only wiped the os portion of the drive, the recovery partition remained intact and is usually fairly well hidden to avoid deletion.
    reasons to make recovery disc:
    1. reclaim hdd space that you paid for.
    2. If you upgrade hdd in future you lose revovery partition (obviously!)
    3. ??

• Advertisement

How did you reformat it withous the windows 7 disc?

Bob Z wrote: »
    How did you reformat it withous the windows 7 disc?

Well it's Vista, so... :confused:

But yeah.. when it's booting up, just hammer F8 (could be a different button on your own PC, so don't get too excited, it gives a quick list at the bottom of the screen during start-up) and the computer will bring you into the system restore menu, where it tells you to make back ups or lose everything. :)

A quick Google Search will do you no harm, but if you didnt get a disc with it, then you should be OK. Although, that brings me to the next point;

[quote-david7536]The formats you did only wiped the os portion of the drive, the recovery partition remained intact and is usually fairly well hidden to avoid deletion.
    reasons to make recovery disc:
    1. reclaim hdd space that you paid for.
    2. If you upgrade hdd in future you lose revovery partition (obviously!)
    3. ?? [/quote]

1."reclaim hdd space that you paid for." - Surely I'm doing that anyway? Seen as it's wiping all my programs/files, etc. off my PC, shouldn't it be bringing my HDD back to when it was purchased? (admittedly, I never really checked).

Also, as someone who will probably never upgrade the HDD on this computer (if I need more space, I buy ext. drives) is there, realistically, much point in me making recovery discs?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

What would happen if your Recovery partition got hit with a virus or something?

You'd be kinda screwed then? This would be the main reason I'd see for having a recovery disc as a backup.

Or maybe it's impossible for a virus to attack the recovery partition?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

byte wrote: »
    What would happen if your Recovery partition got hit with a virus or something?

You'd be kinda screwed then? This would be the main reason I'd see for having a recovery disc as a backup.

Or maybe it's impossible for a virus to attack the recovery partition?

Your hard drive could also go faulty. It really is best to make the recovery disks.

Advertisement