Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Claiming back VAT

• 30-12-2009 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

I'm a one man company and am trying to see what VAT I can claim back to reduce my bill for 2009 and was wondering if a reciept doesn't explicitly say that it is a vat reciept... let say a dublin bus ticket for the sake of example, can you clam back the VAT?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭Bobby1984

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/charging/invoicing.html

See paragraph 4.1 on the above link for what must be included on an invoice in order to claim vat.

Not familiar with Dublin Bus tickets but i would doubt that vat can be reclaimed. However these costs could possibly be claimed as a business expense:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Kelter

Great stuff. Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Skylined

As long as whoever your trying to claim Vat back from is legitimate and it is a business expense. Many shop receipts don't have a detailed vat breakdown, so calculate the correct rate of vat and record this.when you are doing up you vat ledger record your payment type (cheque, laser, visa, try to minimize cash as auditors want to see where this comes out of your a/cs) your purchase gross and nett of vat, vat rate, date and a description. As long as you can proof beyond reasonable doubt that it is a business expense. Familarise your self with what you can and can't claim vat back on with the revenue site. Also its worth if your buying something personal and your supplier is fairly sound, to get them to word the invoice carefully so it can be put down as equipment etc. The main thing is be cute and CYA - cover your arse cause when you have an audit and a group of shrewd miticualous ***** are tearing through accounts and they find a red herring - they'll ****in ride ya.

Like myself you work for yourself, theres enough waste of tax money on black hole systems and services - they tax your smoke, they tax your pint, the tax your transport, go out and sweat, bleed and suffer - they'll tax you on that. so I think there's nothing wrong with a little adjustment of costs.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

There is a link to the VAT Guide in the stickies. Kindly read the resources that are available. That's why they're there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Corrs LIGHT

Kelter wrote: »
    I'm a one man company and am trying to see what VAT I can claim back to reduce my bill for 2009 and was wondering if a reciept doesn't explicitly say that it is a vat reciept... let say a dublin bus ticket for the sake of example, can you clam back the VAT?

There is no VAT on the bus tickets. (i.e. public passenger transport)

Its exempt under the First Schedule of VATA 1972.

• Advertisement
Advertisement