Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is my car dead?

• 30-12-2009 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi all

Looking for some advice, I’m not the best with cars except to drive them. I have a 01 Renault Clio that I think has just died and was looking for some advice what to expect. I think I may have two problems. 1st The car has lost all power in it. I was driving on the motorway the other day and found it very difficult to get any speed up, as I changed gear and revved the car the reeve count increased and the car took a small speed up but nothing really. I have it in the garage at the moment and the mechanic says he thinks it is a problem with the clutch and may need replacing, He says it may cost up to E650 including labour as it’s a big job. The second problem is that the car is very temperamental as to when it wants to start. I don’t think it’s a problem with the battery as I drove for an hour yesterday and popped into a shop for a minute and then it wouldn’t start, I tried it again and it connected, I had to rev it for a minute but it started, This wasn’t a once off it dose this a lot.

So what do you think, what would your opinions of the problem be, I know I have Given a poor description of the problems, dose 650 euros sound a bit over the top
    Any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Don't know about prices for a clio ...but a clutch is a wear and tear item, no reason to give up on your car yet.

The intermittent starting might also be easily fixed ...could just be wonky plug leads or it might need new spark plugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Is it at a main dealer?(Renault) If not, you might want to bring it there to get the non-start sorted - it could be an immobiliser and would be better in the hands of someone knowing what they were looking for, rather than paying someone who half knew to be scratching their head trying to figure it out.

The clutch is maybe 100/150 over what I would have thought - did you get a break-down of price, parts and labour? Also, are they using genuine parts? If it is a big main dealer, this price might be the norm, if it's a back-street I'd get a second opinion and quote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

€650 for a clutch? Seems expensive. I had the clutch done in a clio a couple of years ago in the height if the good times for garages when prices were at their highest for under €400 (can't remember the exact figure but it was definately under €400. That was in a main Renault dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭james1410

shnethb wrote: »
    Hi all

Looking for some advice, I’m not the best with cars except to drive them. I have a 01 Renault Clio that I think has just died and was looking for some advice what to expect. I think I may have two problems. 1st The car has lost all power in it. I was driving on the motorway the other day and found it very difficult to get any speed up, as I changed gear and revved the car the reeve count increased and the car took a small speed up but nothing really. I have it in the garage at the moment and the mechanic says he thinks it is a problem with the clutch and may need replacing, He says it may cost up to E650 including labour as it’s a big job. The second problem is that the car is very temperamental as to when it wants to start. I don’t think it’s a problem with the battery as I drove for an hour yesterday and popped into a shop for a minute and then it wouldn’t start, I tried it again and it connected, I had to rev it for a minute but it started, This wasn’t a once off it dose this a lot.

So what do you think, what would your opinions of the problem be, I know I have Given a poor description of the problems, dose 650 euros sound a bit over the top
    Any advice would be appreciated

Your starting problem as siad before may be an imobiliser problem or it could be worn brushes in your starter or maybe a bad connection try cleaning the battery leads with a wire brush and if the car dosent start give the starter a good tap with a hammer if the brushes are gone in the starter you could get it recondtioned for about 60 euro or buy a second

hand one from a breakers for around 45/50 euro.

Advertisement