Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is your Favourate TV/Radio Weather Forecaster?

Options
  • 30-12-2009 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭

Well? :)

Your Favourate TV/Radio Weather Forecaster? 52 votes

Jean Byrne
    0% 0 votes
    John Eagleton
    26% 14 votes
    Dr. Aiden Nulty
    34% 18 votes
    Gerry Flemming
    5% 3 votes
    Michael McAuliffe
    5% 3 votes
    Evelyn Cusack
    0% 0 votes
    Gerry Murphy
    21% 11 votes
    Nuala Carey
    1% 1 vote
    That fella with the big ears on RTE 2.
    3% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Evelyn,

she ramps good:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Have a look over on the Television forum for the thread on RTE weather girls. Jean Byrne has a lot of fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Has to be the Eagle. May not be the most free flowing speechwise, but he's honest and gives some interesting insights in dah big drawwwwwhedda accent.

Second Evelyn. Apart from regularly running out of time at the end of the slot and getting cut off, she's a good flow of speech.

Last is a tie between Gerry and Jean. They're too deliberate and laboured in their delivery, using the same phrases and motions every time (Gerry "Hello, and a verrry good evening to yoooooo", and Jean "Bittttttterly cold" even when it's 4°C)

I do think though that the RTE forecasters are not as good as the BBC guys, who seem to be better and more confident in their delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Which ones are forecasters/presenters and which are presenters only, I don't think Nuala Carey is a forecaster. You might as well include Martin King if presenters are included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Joe Public wrote: »
    Which ones are forecasters/presenters and which are presenters only, I don't think Nuala Carey is a forecaster. You might as well include Martin King if presenters are included.

When Nuala Carey presents the weather, she forecasts it, which makes her a forecaster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The Express

When Nuala Carey presents the weather, she forecasts it, which makes her a forecaster.

Disagree. Met Eireann forecast it, she reads the autocue.

Which would make her a presenter.

Disagree. Met Eireann forecast it, she reads the autocue.

Which would make her a presenter.

a presenter who forecasts the weather on TV, regardless of autocue.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭foundry

Eh Martin King of course!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Squiggle

When Nuala Carey presents the weather, she forecasts it.

She doesn't.

Squiggle wrote: »
    She doesn't.

She does. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Squiggle

She does. :pac:

Oh no she doesn't :D. Karina Buckley FTW as a presenter though !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭revr

Rob McElwee that does the bbc weather he loves the snow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

That guy Francis I think his name is, from Sky News.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

Nope she is just a x aa girl.. dont think she has a degree in Maths .

Nope
    BA in English and Sociology

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

No Daithi o shea or Martin King?
    This is an OUTRAGE lol
    Ohh Murphy just said snow for northwest for the weekend , he must of seen this poll and tried to get us back on his side :D
    By the way my answer is Michael Gallagher :P ,
    He was on the tv news one day so that surely counts? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Wtf!?, where's the Lisa Burke ftw! option?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Mine is a past presenter from bbc (cant think of his name). They will be no hurricane in the uk, cue, 8 hrs later hurricane arrives. Greatest bit of forecasting ever !!!

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    Mine is a past presenter from bbc (cant think of his name). They will be no hurricane in the uk, cue, 8 hrs later hurricane arrives. Greatest bit of forecasting ever !!!

Michael Fish? he does a weekly forecast on Netweather now. That was hurricane Charley in '86 iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Queen-Mise wrote: »

Edit: Actually, just watched another vid on Youtube, an interview with Fish and he says the weather report was taken out of context and it was another hurricane, one in Florida that he was referring too.

Interesting results so far. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, very interesting clip. Can't see results :rolleyes:

Hal1 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, very interesting clip. Can't see results :rolleyes:

That is my fault Hal. I clicked the wrong button when doing up the poll. :o If a mod or admin can change that to make them visible then please help. :)

The Eagle is coming out tops so far. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

M.T. Cranium

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    M.T. Cranium
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

That is my fault Hal. I clicked the wrong button when doing up the poll. :o If a mod or admin can change that to make them visible then please help. :)

The Eagle is coming out tops so far. :)

Done:)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

Evelyn Cusack is at 20%?? I thought she would be much higher than that. I think her forecasts are always alot more informative than any of the rest. The Eagle is good enough too, but I sometimes get the impression hes showing off when he says things like 'I think this is what is going to happen' like he is the only one who can see whats coming. Good enough ramper but Evelyn will always be the best imo:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Evelyn is the only one who seems to have a smile on her face when she mentions the word sneachta. contrast that with Gerry who looks like he is about to hyperventaliate each time he mention the s word.

So i'm sorry, for all the Eagle's greatness and likability as a forecaster, i have to go with Evelyn as she seems to be the only snow fan up in Glasnevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Evelyn's only problem is that she runs out of time on half her forecasts and hastorushthelastfivesecondsoftheforecastandstillgetscutoffgoodevening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dolphin50

• Advertisement

My faves would be a toss up between Ev and the Eagle. Both make their TV & radio forecasts interesting by personalizing it. Both have a habit of throwing in various historic titbits and tend to show more interesting charts in their forecasts for us meres to see where the weather is coming from etc.

Joan is up there too on my list. Very very graceful forecaster and someone with a bit of class :)

Advertisement