Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smyths - 3 for 2 games

• 30-12-2009 10:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭

Don't know how good this is but Smyths are doing 3 for 2 on all games second hand. Picked up Uncharted 2, Batman Asylum and Fifa 10 for €90. Seemed good value to me.

Comments

gpf101 wrote: »
    Don't know how good this is but Smyths are doing 3 for 2 on all games second hand. Picked up Uncharted 2, Batman Asylum and Fifa 10 for €90. Seemed good value to me.
    Not great when you can get them all new for €105 in Xtravision. Be sure to check the disc surface condition on all preowned games you purchase before you pay for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Not great when you can get them all new for €105 in Xtravision. Be sure to check the disc surface condition on all preowned games you purchase before you pay for them.

So every game is 35e in XV for a while?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Can't be right man, Uncharted 2 is €54.99 new (well it is in the XV I work in), FIFA is at least €44.99 and I think Batman is the same.

Can't be right man, Uncharted 2 is €54.99 new (well it is in the XV I work in), FIFA is at least €44.99 and I think Batman is the same.
    I got Brutal Legend for €35, Batman was €35 and seen a good few others marked €35 too. Someone else here on the boards said the games were €35 too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I got Brutal Legend for €35, Batman was €35 and seen a good few others marked €35 too. Someone else here on the boards said the games were €35 too.

Well Uncharted is defo €54.99.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

Not a great deal, Batman is €22 in HMV, Fifa was €35 somewhere cant remember and you paid €43 for U2... all second hand... should deffo shopped around first!

In saying that the trade in value of the games would be decent enough for the next while, handy with the new games coming out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Same as the one I work in.

flynner13 wrote: »
    shopped around first!
    Thats just what you have to do, Uncharted 2 as others here have said is €54.99 in Xtravision, €49.99 in Smyths and can be got online at CD Wow for €39.59.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Fnz

Terrible offer for second hand games tbh.

Uncharted 2 can be had for €43 in HMV, btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 RoboSpud

Actually, the best deal on Uncharted 2 online is to go with Game.co.uk

It's £29.98, with £2.95 delivery charge (works out better if you order more games, as it's just a one off charge it seems per order) which is 36.78 Euro

I tend to use http://www.find-games.co.uk/ to find the cheapest price, and then see what the delivery prices are like. Much cheaper than buying games over here!!

:D

Generally refuse to buy a game for more than £25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

flynner13 wrote: »
    Not a great deal, Batman is €22 in HMV, Fifa was €35 somewhere cant remember and you paid €43 for U2... all second hand... should deffo shopped around first!

In saying that the trade in value of the games would be decent enough for the next while, handy with the new games coming out!
    You can't get it for €22 any more. Its €50. Never saw FIFA 10 for 35.

Grand it's not a huge bargain but you can't get them for €105 in xtravision. They are €145 so thats a saving of €55. No point coming on here talking complete rubbish...All the Discs are perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭ice27

Grand it's not a huge bargain but you can't get them for €105 in xtravision. They are €145 so thats a saving of €55. No point coming on here talking complete rubbish...All the Discs are perfect.

I got Fifa10 for €34 (brand new)just before christmas in xtravision in douglas cork. They were doing a special offer for a while so I can confirm this could have been got for that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

XV don't have regional prices. Hell, even comparing two XV stores in Limerick you'll find two different prices. One in the city, and one more suburban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I think different Xtravisions have different offers, so not necessarily complete rubbish.

Using Find-Game.co.uk, the cheapest new you can get the games is just under €90 (Uncharted 2 - Amazon - £30.87 (~€35), Batman - TheHut - £18.73 (~€22), Fifa - TheHut - £25.73 (~€30)).

Personally, I don't think second-hand games should ever be posted on Bargain Alerts as there's too many "YMMV" factors to consider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Agreed about Xtra-Vision's odd-pricing policy.

Was told they'd Mirror's Edge for the Xbox 360 at €4.99, and €9.99 for the PS3. Said I'd pick it up for the 360. It was €9.99 for it on both platforms in my local Xtra-Vision this morning.

Regarding the OP's bargain - 3 pre-owned games for €90 can't be considered a bargain. I picked up 3 new (and well-reviewed) games in Curry's for €21 (Fallout 3 for the PS3, Saints Row 2 for the 360, Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts for the 360).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

If the price mentioned above was an offer then it was an offer just like the 3 for 2 offer on all preowned games you got in Smyths, for what you got wasn't really an offer at all to be honest, you paid for all three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

Smyths have very high priced seconds imo.

Lawdie wrote: »
    They do and give you nothing for trade in too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Never saw FIFA 10 for 35.

The week after it came out, it was 35€ alright in tesco for both 360/ps3 versions, a few of the other major retailers followed suit IIRC

Generally, agree with you, used games are perfect, given the choice of paying a small bit extra for new games though, i would every time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Fnz

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Generally, agree with you, used games are perfect, given the choice of paying a small bit extra for new games though, i would every time

Yeah, I hate seeing used games priced but a fiver less than the new copies - knowing the developer will see none of that money. People, obviously, must be buying them. Afaik, it's where retailers make the biggest margins.

In the OP's example, the 3 for 2 offer implies that Smyths value 2 second hand titles at €90. I very rarely find myself having to pay more than €45 for a brand new game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

i was in smyths yesterday,they had forza 3 for 44.99 second hand as part of this offer.
    they were selling it for 29.99 new on the other side of the shop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭kendragon

Lawdie wrote: »

I agree... and its strange because they are incredibly competitive in the rest of the store (toys etc.). I think its just a unwillingness on their part to not put a proper team in place in the head office to keep track of current pricing trends etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Smyths used to have decently priced second hand games but a while back they started jacking prices because the sales were good. It's nothing but greed. And now sales are heading back to dirt, big surprise there.
    Mostly I'll buy games new. If I see a good deal in a 3 for 2 I'll go for it but that just doesn't happen very often.

basquille wrote: »
    Agreed about Xtra-Vision's odd-pricing policy.

Was told they'd Mirror's Edge for the Xbox 360 at €4.99, and €9.99 for the PS3. Said I'd pick it up for the 360. It was €9.99 for it on both platforms in my local Xtra-Vision this morning.

I went in yesterday to pick up some stuff and found that all the Xbox and PS3 titles were the same price except for Soul Calibre which was 9.99 on the 360 and 14.99 on the PS3. In another store it was the other way around with the Xbox version costing 14.99 and the PS3 version costing 9.99.

Advertisement