Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Tower Series

Options
  • 30-12-2009 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭

I couldn't find any threads directly related to the Dark Tower, the magnificent epic series by Stephen King so i decided to start one. discuss the dark tower here as well as the comics and possibly a film adaptation.
    please use the spoiler tool for plot references so as to not ruin the story for people who haven't read the dark tower fully yet. i know it took me over a year to read it all, may it please ya.

so what did you think of the dark tower? post your comments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

There actually was a really good Dark Tower thread a few months ago, you should be able to find it if you use the search function. There was some interesting opinions and thoughts in that thread. I am in the middle of the series at the moment, I have just started book 5. I have absolutely loved it so far, but I have heard that the last 3 books aren't as good as the first 4 so i'm hoping that isn't the case! My favourite books were book 2 The Drawing of the Three and book 4, Wizard and Glass. Although I felt the start of book 4 belonged at the end of book 3, I hated the way book 3 had the cliff hanger ending, I was so glad I was able to start straight into book 4!

It's an amazing series and I think it's one I will keep reading and re-reading. I am sure that I will pick up on little things that I missed during the first reading. I especially like how he has written in references to his other books. As a diehard Stephen King fan, I've enjoyed trying to spot these references. Only thing is, I now feel I have to re-read all his back catalouge as there are so many references to the Dark Tower in his other books that I would have missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

ncmc wrote: »
    There actually was a really good Dark Tower thread a few months ago, you should be able to find it if you use the search function. There was some interesting opinions and thoughts in that thread. I am in the middle of the series at the moment, I have just started book 5. I have absolutely loved it so far, but I have heard that the last 3 books aren't as good as the first 4 so i'm hoping that isn't the case! My favourite books were book 2 The Drawing of the Three and book 4, Wizard and Glass. Although I felt the start of book 4 belonged at the end of book 3, I hated the way book 3 had the cliff hanger ending, I was so glad I was able to start straight into book 4!

It's an amazing series and I think it's one I will keep reading and re-reading. I am sure that I will pick up on little things that I missed during the first reading. I especially like how he has written in references to his other books. As a diehard Stephen King fan, I've enjoyed trying to spot these references. Only thing is, I now feel I have to re-read all his back catalouge as there are so many references to the Dark Tower in his other books that I would have missed.

Im going to have a look for that other tread and probably post their aswell..

I loved the first book..I like it so much because he wrote it without even considering the series (I think although it seemed, as ive read somewhere before, that he always felt Roland was calling) and so it's a really great stand ao
    lone text..my favourite two were 'the waste lands' and 'the wolves of the calla'..
    I loved the fight scene with the robots being mowed down by the women throwing plates
    ..come commala!

Weirdly enough kind of
    as much as Roland was amazing and I never doubted that he was a hero..but I never trusted him..which is actually quite obvious I guess as much as they were his ken I always felt he was going to leave them behind and he did with Jake at on stage.

My favourite books!

What am I saying..why did I completely omit 'the drawing of the tree' it was brilliant I especially loved Eddies welcome into the book..or somwhat forced entry..I really need to read these again I wish I had the time :(..ive been reading some other peoples opinions..as much as the fifth book wasnt as good the first four(I take back what I said above! Dont know what I was talking about) I thought it was a good story..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I liked the first one and some of the short stories.
    Sort of lost interest when he started doing a merry go round tour of every other book he ever wrote.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I read these last year, loved them. Will definitely read them again. The ending was just unreal...I sat for about 10mins with my mouth open saying 'oh ffs!! Nooo!' I think I enjoyed 'The Drawing of the Three' best. Wouldn't they make a brilliant series of films something like 'Lord of the Rings'?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Ive only read the first book... are the rest really worth going on to read?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Absolutely worth reading the rest! Do yourself a favour and read the whole set. I very nearly gave up after the first one as I didn't have a clue what was going on, but I persevered and am so glad I did.

I think you're not really supposed to know what's going on in the first one, it becomes clear as you read the rest of the series. That's why I feel I would need to read them all again, especially the first one. You will not regret the time spent if you read them all! Definitely King's Magnum Opus!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Hmmm a reserved recommendation. The first four books are good but it's a bit downhill after that. It becomes self-indulgent as he references his own work a bit too much and certainly the meta themes come on too strong. There's a sense that he draws a bit too easily on other literary sources rather than create his own and I, for one, found the ending of many plot threads in the final book very unsatisfactory. Still there's enough in the earlier books, and good characterisation throughout, that means overall it's worth reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

I'm halfway through the fourth book. My favourite so far was the wastelands, and the least liked was the drawing of the three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 KRIS VL

I like reading Dark Tower too

Advertisement