Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difficulty Getting Into Medicine Via GAMSAT

Options
  • 30-12-2009 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

I am currently in third year science doing botany and microbiology as a mature student, will just turn 28 when finished and was thinking of going back to do Medicine. I just want an idea of how hard it would be to get a place.

I definitely can get a 2.1 degree in either botany or microbiology. If I decide to do this, I would begin studying for GAMSAT this summer to sit exam next year.

Would I need to have experience shadowing or working in hospitals?

What exactly is involved in the GAMSAT, all I know thus far is of the exam aspect.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 TinTin09

NFH wrote: »
    I am currently in third year science doing botany and microbiology as a mature student, will just turn 28 when finished and was thinking of going back to do Medicine. I just want an idea of how hard it would be to get a place.
    I definitely can get a 2.1 degree in either botany or microbiology. If I decide to do this, I would begin studying for GAMSAT this summer to sit exam next year.

You can sit the exam in the UK in September and in Ireland in March, you could also attempt to sit the exam this March. You have nothing to lose if you dont do well, as there is no limit on the amount of time you may sit the exam.

Would I need to have experience shadowing or working in hospitals?

To apply for GEM in Ireland No, if you want to apply to do GEM in the UK where the fee's are only £3500 for the entire course then or if you want to apply as a Mature Student then Yes.

What exactly is involved in the GAMSAT, all I know thus far is of the exam aspect.

Plenty of threads on here that cover that question, like this one.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'd recommend getting Griffiths GAMSAT Reveiw ebook and attempting the exam in March as a practice run.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭NFH

Thanks for that, very helpful and eye-opening as to how difficult the GAMSAT is.

Is it safe to say then that the most difficult part about the GAMSAT and preparation for the GAMSAT, is the science section?

Section 1 seems to be basicaly and IQ test and Section 2 seems to be something you can almost pre-prepare.

Section 3 seems to be the section that would require the most time and effort to get ready for.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭eagle_&_bear

Thanks for that, very helpful and eye-opening as to how difficult the GAMSAT is.

Is it safe to say then that the most difficult part about the GAMSAT and preparation for the GAMSAT, is the science section?

Section 1 seems to be basicaly and IQ test and Section 2 seems to be something you can almost pre-prepare.

Section 3 seems to be the section that would require the most time and effort to get ready for.

I'd be slow to say the sciences section is the most hardest section. The essay section in section 2 is as challenging. The Griffith Review is a good volume to work out of. You might also look at Des O'Neill's course too but, definately do look at the Griffith Review material and see.

I have a feeling I would be wasting my time studying general science books from college etc and preparing essays by myself. I know I could take one of those courses but if I were to study for the test myself, what would be the best literature to use. For example, with the science section, are there specific books that would better prepare you than using general texts. I took a look at sample exam papers for science and it seems damn hard.

I have a feeling I would be wasting my time studying general science books from college etc and preparing essays by myself. I know I could take one of those courses but if I were to study for the test myself, what would be the best literature to use. For example, with the science section, are there specific books that would better prepare you than using general texts. I took a look at sample exam papers for science and it seems damn hard.

You need a good Organic Chemistry book. some people like the ''dummies guide to organic chemistry'', if you havent studied org chem before it is DEFO a great way to begin, otherwise look at Atkins Organic Chemistry - its around 50 euro and it will cover above and beyond what u need.

The Des O'Neill coursr gives u all the science material in 1 volume to read dunno if that makes it easier aswell as essay correction facilities

For biology go into Clarendon Medical and ask for a good biology book and they will help.

For Physics- as got a general year 1 university book and they will help aswell
    I'll try scan in what was initially recommended to me a few months ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

For example, with the science section, are there specific books that would better prepare you than using general texts. I took a look at sample exam papers for science and it seems damn hard.
    • Ozimed is a company that offer at least 10 different full length practice papers. You can usually buy them second hand on ebay. They're useful for timing and identifying weak areas but should only be considered as mock papers (made by a different company to the real gamsat).
    • Medired are another company that sell practice papers.
    • There are 3 'official' ACER sample papers.
    • Internet forums like Paging Dr forum and New Media Medicine offer good advice.
    • For short essays 'The Meaning of Things' by A.C. Grayling is quite good.
    • I know a few people that praise the 'For Dummies' science books.
    Best of luck with it.

Are there any packages out there that provide you with "all you need to know" for the GAMSAT. I've seen these Des O'Neil and Guru guides, but are they any good?

If I was to really go for it I would want to know I am studying the absolute right material. You could spend weeks and months studying some science topics by yourself using college science books but be completely wasting your time with pointless info and as for the other sections I would'nt even know where to start.

Also, as a side question, how hard is the GAMSAT really. I mean to get over 60 do you have to be like IQ 160 with potographic memory. Is this just a test to get the naturaly gifted or can hard work actually pay off. I mean reading some of the section one questions, you dont really know if your right or wrong or how to even prepare and as for the science questions, they seem quite advanced, not to mention the time factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

Are there any packages out there that provide you with "all you need to know" for the GAMSAT. I've seen these Des O'Neil and Guru guides, but are they any good?

There are packages that claim to but given the nature of the exam I feel it's impossible to be 100% prepared. I had a copy of the 2005 Des O'Neill science notes. There was nothing in them you wouldn't get in a standard textbook (they may have improved since).

The Des O'Neill company also have a package where you can email in essays, have them corrected and get written feedback. It's not cheap though! There's also a company (medprep I think) that do weekend revision courses a few weeks before the gamsat. I'm sure someone on this forum will know more about them than me.

When I did the gamsat I found the ACER practice papers and 10 ozimed papers to be the most beneficial. Myself and a friend did them under exam timing and revised the topics we got wrong. I found this very helpful but the gamsat study guides not so much.
    If I was to really go for it I would want to know I am studying the absolute right material. You could spend weeks and months studying some science topics by yourself using college science books but be completely wasting your time with pointless info and as for the other sections I would'nt even know where to start.

Have a look at Paging Dr forum. It's full of useful info (right down to what to eat for breakfast on the day of the exam :D).

Working for the gamsat can feel overwhelming at times. I knew as an arts graduate I was never going to know everything about science for gamsat section 3. I revised my leaving cert physics book, a basic physiology textbook (Tortora is good without being too dense on detail) and an introductory college book for organic and physical chemistry. While doing the 10 ozimed papers I was making a list of topics I needed to cover.

On exam day I could problem solve alot of the questions using the short explantory passage provided. I found some of the questions were impossible to prepare for. In one question we were given a short passage about circulation in a crocodile and given a few multiple choice questions about it. For me, the real benefit of study was the confidence that I could do okay on the paper if I took my time. Read the passages. Alot of what you need is there in front of you even if the questions look off-putting at first.

Also, as a side question, how hard is the GAMSAT really. I mean to get over 60 do you have to be like IQ 160 with potographic memory. Is this just a test to get the naturaly gifted or can hard work actually pay off. I mean reading some of the section one questions, you dont really know if your right or wrong or how to even prepare and as for the science questions, they seem quite advanced, not to mention the time factor.
    I found the anticipation about the gamsat worse that the exam itself. The papers are doable but they do put you under tight time constraints.

You can do well with hard work. I'm definitely not a genius and I only wish I had a photographic memory. I got there in the end and I'm sure as a scientist you'll be 10 times better in the science sections. Best of luck with it. I might see you in UL next September.

Don't know much about MediPrep but GradMed course which is run in Dublin and London is VERY expensive. the 10 week course is £2,145 UK Sterling.

The Des O'Neill notes for 2009 are very good. cost 608euro

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055415394

Hey all,
    I found this link really helpful and helped me make a final decision in doing the GAMSAT so throwing it out there if it helps anyone else

• Advertisement

2009 Percentile Graph

I'm going to put up 2008, 2007, 2006 and 2005 aswell. Its a realy hand comparison. interestingly enough, it appears we're getting dumber at these tests the positive mark on the curve used to be in the early-mid 80's upto 2007 and dropped in 2008 and dropped further in 2009

KEPP IT UP and we can all get a place teehee :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

2009 Percentile Graph

I'm going to put up 2008, 2007, 2006 and 2005 aswell. Its a realy hand comparison. interestingly enough, it appears we're getting dumber at these tests the positive mark on the curve used to be in the early-mid 80's upto 2007 and dropped in 2008 and dropped further in 2009

KEPP IT UP and we can all get a place teehee :P
    minimum score needed is in the 60th percentile (56 for UL i think?), not too bad, given theres a lower chance of someone passing the driving test in some cities :rolleyes:,

edit
    actully its lower than that i read the graph wrong :*( 60th percentile is 57

yup the results seem to have dropped 2 or 3 marks per year from 2005-2009 so the percentile should be a tiny bit easier to do well in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

yup the results seem to have dropped 2 or 3 marks per year from 2005-2009 so the percentile should be a tiny bit easier to do well in
    is that actully the percentile curve for ireland? cuz i have a hunch it might be the aussie one, and they have been doing it for a good while now and most of the entry minimums over there are well into the 60s and 70s

simple answer is: I don't know

as of 2009 we still need 57-61 so aim for the 63's+ and hope for the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭ORLY?

I'd be sceptical about that GAMSAT curve. I know that in 2008 the cut-off was equivalent to the 70th percentile.

Advertisement