Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

End of a decade, What was your favorite ....

• 30-12-2009 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

As a decade of football closes, its time to remember...

What was your favorite

1) Game of the decade

2) Team of the decade

3) Player of the decade

4) Goal of the decade

Comments

This was done last week was it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Nice to have it one thread though, will have a think first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

1) Game of the decade

Liverpool 3-3 AC Milan; Istanbul, 2005.

i don't need to explain why.

2) Team of the decade

Arsenal's Invincibles were probably my favourite even though last year's Barca is better.

it's because i saw them week in week out maybe, but to be fair, Henry, Pires and Bergkamp in their pomp are 3 of my favourite players ever.

3) Player of the decade

No i'm not an Arsenal fan, but Thierry Henry.

although the sight of him making Carragher fall on his arse in Highbury should p*ss me off, i actually laugh looking at it now.

4) Goal of the decade

Rivaldo's overhead to get Barca into the Champions League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭The Al Lad

rarnes1 wrote: »
    This was done last week was it not?

Apologies if it was... anyway...might aswell answer

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

Hmmm...well without too much though so subject to change!

Goal - Henry flick and volley against united/ Keane against Germany in WC 2002.

Game - Arsenal v...? So many. Pool 4-2 in the unbeaten season, Coming from 2-0 down against Chelsea, Real Madrid over two legs in the Champions League. On an international level..Ireland/Spain WC 2002. And I'll never forget being in Paris for the second leg of the french tie.

Favourite Team - Arsenal. Unbeaten season.. Although it turned out that many of the players playing were facing the end of their arsenal career there so many great players, a great team spirit and Henry's best season. I fell in love with him that season. :o

Player of the Decade - Player of the century more like.. :D Thierry Henry. I was blessed to witness him in his prime. I shall tell my grandchildren.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭The Al Lad

1) Game of the decade

Spurs 3 -4 Man City FA Cup

City 3-0 down and down to 10 men at half time came back to beat Spurs 4-3 classic match

2) Team of the decade

Arsenal's Invincibles without doubt, blew away everyone in the whole league and amazing to watch

3) Player of the decade

Thierry Henry, absolutely un-real ...absoloute scuzz bucket aswell for his hand ball against Ireland

although the sight of him making Carragher fall on his arse in Highbury should p*ss me off, i actually laugh looking at it now.

4) Goal of the decade

Sentinental value to me but probably Robbie Keanes goal against Germany t oearn a 1-1 draw in the 2002 world cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Invincibles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,517 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

1) Game of the decade
    Liverpool 4- 4 Chelsea, Champions League quarter final 2009.
    When they got each other again in the knock out rounds no one expected anything interesting to happen going on what happened in their previous encounters.
    This was a classic, it was as if all the drama that was missing from the rest of their Champions League games all arrived at once, much like waiting forever for a bus and three arriving at once, or in this case eight, goals that is.
    Whatever about Istanbul, this was a better game from start to finish, I was either choosing this or United v Madrid 4-3 from 2003, two classic games but the former had much more drama.

2) Team of the decade
    Manchester United from 2006-2009.
    Arsenal's invincibles were amazing, but for United to come back in the face of Chelsea's dominance and win three titles in a row was something even the most blinkered United fan couldn't have dreamed of in 2005. The 2008 Champions League victory was sublime and to make two consecutive finals was a testament to the greatness of the side.

3) Player of the decade
    Although he's been inactive since his red card in the 2006 world cup final I have to go for Zinedine Zidane. Unlike Ronaldo Madrid were right to break records to sign Zidane and although Madrid were less successful than they might have hoped to have been during his time there he was always a class act. His performances in the 2006 world cup were heroic, guiding them to the final in spite of Raymond Domench. people will still be talking about Zidane long after the stars of today have faded. He was the last true legend of the game it's a pity that it ended the way it did. Let's hope someone can fill his boots properly sometime soon.

4) Goal of the decade
    Rooney V Newcastle.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znl1vTmlYkM
    The purest volley I've seen in years. It was either this or Gerrards one against Boro.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

The Al Lad wrote: »
    As a decade of football closes, its time to remember...

What was your favorite

1) Game of the decade

Newcastle 1-2 Sunderland

2) Team of the decade

Barcelona 08-09

3) Player of the decade

Ronaldinho

4) Goal of the decade

Richardson's free kick V Newcastle 08-09

Would be mine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

SlickRic wrote: »
    1) Game of the decade

2) Team of the decade

Arsenal's Invincibles were probably my favourite even though last year's Barca is better.

it's because i saw them week in week out maybe, but to be fair, Henry, Pires and Bergkamp in their pomp are 3 of my favourite players ever.

3) Player of the decade

4) Goal of the decade

your right, who can argue with that, maybe player of decade could be different,henry past his best for 2 seasons now, still great player though,
    ronaldo could replace him as best player,i,m liverpool man ,so i,m not been biased,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

nullzero wrote: »
    1) Game of the decade
    Liverpool 4- 4 Chelsea, Champions League quarter final 2009.
    When they got each other again in the knock out rounds no one expected anything interesting to happen going on what happened in their previous encounters.
    This was a classic, it was as if all the drama that was missing from the rest of their Champions League games all arrived at once, much like waiting forever for a bus and three arriving at once, or in this case eight, goals that is.
    Whatever about Istanbul, this was a better game from start to finish, I was either choosing this or United v Madrid 4-3 from 2003, two classic games but the former had much more drama.

2) Team of the decade
    Manchester United from 2006-2009.
    Arsenal's invincibles were amazing, but for United to come back in the face of Chelsea's dominance and win three titles in a row was something even the most blinkered United fan couldn't have dreamed of in 2005. The 2008 Champions League victory was sublime and to make two consecutive finals was a testament to the greatness of the side.

3) Player of the decade
    Although he's been inactive since his red card in the 2006 world cup final I have to go for Zinedine Zidane. Unlike Ronaldo Madrid were right to break records to sign Zidane and although Madrid were less successful than they might have hoped to have been during his time there he was always a class act. His performances in the 2006 world cup were heroic, guiding them to the final in spite of Raymond Domench. people will still be talking about Zidane long after the stars of today have faded. He was the last true legend of the game it's a pity that it ended the way it did. Let's hope someone can fill his boots properly sometime soon.

4) Goal of the decade
    Rooney V Newcastle.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znl1vTmlYkM
    The purest volley I've seen in years. It was either this or Gerrards one against Boro.

Can you explain the bold please?

have no idea what you mean

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Game:

Real Madrid 1-2 Barcelona

Rijkaard's Barcelona were on a great run after being pummelled 5-0/5-1 at Malaga. This was their arrival with some of the old guard like Cocu, Kluivert De Boer...they were battered in the first 59 minutes. It was actually funny..clearances off the line, Real thumping the ball at Puyol's face on the line, great saves. Then Real scored. Ten minutes later, a departing Kluivert tapped in and Figo was sent off later. 5 minutes to go, Ronaldinho over the top, Xavi over Casillas. First win at the Bernabeu for 7 years or something

Edit: :cool:

Team:

Barcelona 2008-2009

Player:

Casillas

Goal:

Rivaldo's goal as above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

1) Game of the decade

Man United vs Chelsea, Champions League Final 2008

This match was important in the sense it showed how far the Premiership had come with two teams from England contesting the final. Plenty of dramatic moments in this game for United fans. The joy of the first goal, the agony of the equaliser, a sending off and then a penalty shoot-out. Thinking it was all over and then watching Terry miss the penalty and Van Der Sar save Anelka's kick. Watching Ronaldo drop to the ground crying in relief, Rooney skipping away like a giddy child, Sir Bobby going up forty years after Busby and '68. It was epic.

2) Team of the decade

I would have to say the Barca team of this year. Their accomplishments have been ridiculously good.

3) Player of the decade

John O'Shea.

Or if not him Henry or Messi. I'll hand it to Messi. :cool:

4) Goal of the decade

Messi vs Getafe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

1) Game of the decade

Would have to be the CL 2005 final with Milan vs Liverpool.

2) Team of the decade

As in one individual season or the whole decade? Would be between Barca,Milan or Madrid

3) Player of the decade

Zidane or Messi

4) Goal of the decade

Zidane's goal in the 2002 CL final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Game of the decade:

Champions League Final: United 1-1 Chelsea [United win on pens]

Just had everything, and meant everything. Obviously being a United fan meant I enjoyed it that much more but I remember just before the penalties saying to my mate that it had been some game. Both teams players at their peak in the first all-Premiership final.

Others I can remember offhand are - Barca v Real [Mentioned by someone above]; Deportivo v. Milan [When Depor did the impossible comeback]; United v. Real [2003 - Ronaldo clapped off after his hat-trick].

Team of the decade:

If we're picking one team at one particular stage this decade then it's got to be Barca. But overall I'd go for United after rejuvenating themselves after years without a title and being written off constantly.

Player of the decade:

Ronaldinho, the guy defied belief with some of the things he did. Special mention for Thierry Henry, Leo Messi, Zinedine Zidane and Ronaldo.

Goal of the decade:

Been posted already but Rivaldo's bicycle kick against Valencia to secure CL football for the following season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

1) Game of the decade
    Wednesday 2 May 2007
    A.C. Milan 3 - 0 Manchester United
    I have never seen a team dominate united like Milan did that night and I have never seen Ferguson after a match come out and say that his team just wasn't good enough, no excuses, no "we should have played better" he just said Milan were that good United could do nothing about it.
    It pissed rain but jesus the football was amazing.
    I know a guy, a total UTD freak, and he reckons it was the only time watching a match that he thought the united players were intimidated by the atmosphere in a stadium.

Milan played perfect football and the man below was at the heart of everything.
    _42877171_kaka_new270.jpg

2) Team of the decade
    Milan from 2001 - 2008
    Won 2 CL's, 3 Finals, the best club defence of all time (Cafu Costacurta Nesta Maldini) for the majority of it, with amazing players like Rui Costa, Leonardo, Stam, Ronaldo, Crespo and a few more playing cameos and players like Serginho, Kaka, Shevchenko, Seedorf, Gattauso, Ambrosini, Inzaghi, Kaladze, Jankulovski and Pirlo being integral parts of the team over the years.
    In my opinion, the stand out squad of the last ten years and a large portion of it still going strong.

3) Player of the decade
    3 way split, can't pick between the 3

Zidane
    Maldini
    Káká

4) Goal of the decade

Bergkamp vs Newcastle.

He ment it, simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Seaneh wrote: »
    2) Team of the decade
    Milan from 2001 - 2008
    Won 2 CL's, 3 Finals, the best club defence of all time (Cafu Costacurta Nesta Maldini) for the majority of it, with amazing players like Rui Costa, Leonardo, Stam, Ronaldo, Crespo and a few more playing cameos and players like Serginho, Kaka, Shevchenko, Seedorf, Gattauso, Ambrosini, Inzaghi, Kaladze, Jankulovski and Pirlo being integral parts of the team over the years.
    In my opinion, the stand out squad of the last ten years and a large portion of it still going strong.

Nope sorry, gonna have to ask you to put your bias aside here for a moment. I know its a thread of opinion and all, but Milan only won Serie A once in that time frame. If a team cant dominate it's domestic league, then in no way should they be called the greatest team of the decade. Sure, the squad was amazing but if they couldn't be bothered to perform consistently on a weekly basis then they dont even figure in this thread.

Archimedes wrote: »
    Nope sorry, gonna have to ask you to put your bias aside here for a moment. I know its a thread of opinion and all, but Milan only won Serie A once in that time frame. If a team cant dominate it's domestic league, then in no way should they be called the greatest team of the decade. Sure, the squad was amazing but if they couldn't be bothered to perform consistently on a weekly basis then they dont even figure in this thread.

It's my favorite.

Also, it was toeghter longer than any other squad that won anything, and the team that did dominate the league in italy has done nothing in europe.

Serie A has never been a priority for Milan, thats why they rearly win it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Seaneh wrote: »
    It's my favorite.

Thread title read fail. My bad. Too many bloody "Best / Greatest / Favourite" threads popping up lately. I do apologise. :o

Archimedes wrote: »
    Thread title read fail. My bad. Too many bloody "Best / Greatest / Favourite" threads popping up lately. I do apologise. :o

I do say it was the stand out team of the decade and im sticking to that, because it is the only squad that lasted that long!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Game of the decade:

Real Madrid 3 - 3 Barcelona. Messi with a great hat trick, the game could have went either way with both teams having numerous chances, could have been more goals in it, great to watch.

Team of the decade:

The invincible's, what they did was something really special and probaly wont be repeated any time soon.

Player of the decade:

Zidane, no contest. A mention to Brazilian Ronaldo, Sheva, Ronaldo, Ronaldihno, Henry, Messi, RVN.

Goal of the decade:

Zidane CL Final, Real Madrid's last CL and a goal that you can watch over and over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

What was your favorite

1) Game of the decade

What a comeback -

2) Team of the decade

Shelbourne 2006 -

300288828_a9a3255606.jpg

3) Player of the decade

No contest -

xavi.jpg

4) Goal of the decade

So many to choose from but this is perfect, as you'll see from the last angle -

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Barca no doubt.And their pursuit of excellence is ongoing and thrilling to witness.Would love to revisit the beautiful city of the beautiful game:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

The Al Lad wrote: »
    Apologies if it was... anyway...might aswell answer
    why not just merge the threads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,517 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Can you explain the bold please?

have no idea what you mean

It is my opinion that Ronaldo wasn't worth breaking records for to sign.
    I think Ronaldo is a fantastic player but he has a lot to prove before he can be put in the same bracket of the likes of Zidane.
    It's just my opinion, something which might be forced to change by future Ronaldo brilliance, but for the moment I don't think Ronaldo or any other player at this point in time is equal to or better than Zidane.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

What was your favorite

1) Game of the decade

Friday 9th March 2007, Shelbourne -vs- Kildare County

The sense of apprehension as I caught the bus from town to Drumcondra, getting off at Fagan's and then crossing the bridge and looking right down the River Tolka and seeing the floodlights on in Tolka Park.

After one of the darkest winters any fans of a football club have experienced, thinking back to the league win the previous November, and my own muted celebrations. We were finished, our club fell apart.

Scratching together a management team, and a football team just weeks before the season started.

Going down to a penalty early on, but then Brian Gartland scoring to level, in front of the new stand. It ended up 2-2.

2) Team of the decade

Barcelona, no question. The current team.

3) Player of the decade

Zidane

4) Goal of the decade

This made me damn nearly hyperventilate.

I'll go with what I believe were the best of the decade so I'll try to stay unbiased.

Game of the decade

Czech Republic vs Holland Euro 2004

Honourable mentions: United vs Chelsea CL Final 2008, Liverpool v MIlan 2005, United vs Madrid 2003,

Team of the decade

I was tempted to say United from 06-09 but I don't think any sane person can possibly say anything other than the current Barcelona team, who won every competition they were in this year. An absolutely stunning side.

Honourable mentions: Madrid 2003, United 2006-2009, Arsenals unbeaten league team.

barca2009.png

Player of the decade

zidane.jpg

Zidane. No doubt about it. Performed well in every major final he played in and single handedly dragged a (frankly) rubbish French team to a WC Final.

Honourable mentions: Xavi, Ronaldinho (sad how far he's fallen), Kaka, Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi.

Goal of the decade

Zidane vs Deportivo - stunning teamwork and build up and tasty footwork to set up the finish.

Honourable mentions:

Messi:

Robinho:

Ronaldo:

Rooney vs Newcastle would also get mentioned tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Game of the Decade

Games not involving Man Utd:
    Liverpool 4-4 Arsenal
    Chelsea 4-4 Aston Villa (2007)

With my United hat on:
    Man Utd 4-3 Man City
    2008 Champions League final
    Man Utd 7-1 Roma

Team of the decade
    I think I'd have to go with the current Barcelona team. Otherwise, I'd go for the 2007/8 Man Utd team or Milan's team in the middle of the decade.

Player of the decade
    Has to be Zidane for me. I prefer Messi as a player, but his career hasn't really spanned enough of this decade. Zidane seemed to carry the 2006 French team to the WC Final on his own.

Goal of the decade
    Has to be Messi's against Getafe. Honourable mentions to Henry's against United and Ronaldo's free kick against Portsmouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭G1032

1) Game of the decade
    Liverpool v Milan, Champs League final in Istanbul.

2) Team of the decade
    Arsenal's Invincibles

3) Player of the decade
    Thierry Henry

4) Goal of the decade
    Dennis Bergkamp's v Newcastle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

SlickRic wrote: »
    1) Game of the decade

2) Team of the decade

3) Player of the decade

4) Goal of the decade

This, except I may change Henry for Ronaldinho, when he was on form I've never seen a player better than him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

nullzero wrote: »
    It is my opinion that Ronaldo wasn't worth breaking records for to sign.
    I think Ronaldo is a fantastic player but he has a lot to prove before he can be put in the same bracket of the likes of Zidane.
    It's just my opinion, something which might be forced to change by future Ronaldo brilliance, but for the moment I don't think Ronaldo or any other player at this point in time is equal to or better than Zidane.

right ok

but his goal ratio for madrid so far has been absolutely awe inspiring, he has really kept the car running

and Zidane was useless his first year in madrid after them spending so much money on him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

1) Game of the decade

Liverpool - Milan
    Istanbul 05
    I went for this because never ever in three hours of anything can you go from such a low to the greatest high

2) Team of the decade

Barca last year i think. Just amazing to watch and the performance in the final, when it mattered, looked like an exhibition

3) Player of the decade

I'm going for Carragher here, i'm a liverpool fan but for the last ten years he's been brilliant. On the field and off it. Rarely in the news for being outspoken never talk of him moving and most importantly whether its Istanbul in 05 or west brom last year (arbeloa fight) he still gives it all

4) Goal of the decade

Di Canio

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

1) Game of the decade - Istanbul 2005/Galway United 1 - 0 Shamrock Rovers in 2007, when people decided to show up to a game for once, it just happened that a DVD was also made that day.

2) Team of the decade - Current Barca team.

3) Player of the decade - Zizou

4) Goal of the decade - Luis Garcia, champions league semi final, 2005

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

1) Game of the decade

2005 Champions League Final: Liverpool 3 AC Milan 3 (Liverpool win on penalties).

I remember sitting in the local boozer surrounded by friends and family at half time. We all looked and felt like we had just lost a loved one. It was a horrific feeling, to get that far and to achieve that much with a limited team, only to potentially end up on the receiving end of an absolute drubbing in the CL Final. A final that should have two quality teams fighting until the end, but it looked like that we were going to get hammered 6-0.

I said to everyone, without believing a word of it myself, "C'mon lads one early goal and we're back in it." Wishful thinking on my part, but the wish came true.

2) Team of the decade

Barca 08-09:
    I think what Pep achieved was something special because before he took over all you could hear coming out of the camp was doom and gloom, and about how the team was divided into little cliques out for themselves.

Sure it helped to have the likes of Messi, Iniesta, Xavi and Eto'o. However the best of managers has failed to get superstars working together as a unit. A managerial novice achieved it though, and what that team produced for him was absolutely sensational.

3) Player of the decade

Cristiano Ronaldo: The amount of times this guy produced the goods for Man U in games where they looked to be on the ropes is astounding. People frequently credit Macheda for the 3pts against Villa last season, but it was Ronaldo's salvo that made Macheda's goal worth anything. That game was just typical of the amount of times Ronaldo produced moments of magic to save his team's skin.

He strikes fear into the best of players. He has a scary accuracy when it comes to free kicks. He has a knack for popping up with late match winning or saving goals. He has an unbreakable spirit in the face of such hostile environments in regards to fans and opposition players, just look at how the English media attempted to run him out of the country in 2006 only for him to sensationally become the best player in the world over the following 3 seasons. He has a quite frankly astounding goals tally for an RM. The guy had, and still has it all.

Hands down the best player of the decade when you take all this into account. He's had the kitchen sink thrown at him in regards to hostility and has still produced the goods. It's difficult to say the same for Messi and Henry because they haven't had to play at the top of their game in the face of such media, fan, and player scrutiny/hostility (well not until recently for the latter anyway).

4) Goal of the decade

Andreas Iniesta -v- Chelsea 08/09: Seriously, to score a goal of that much importance against such difficult opposition, in the game that it was and with only two minutes to go, was immense. Not only was it a testament to the quality Iniesta possesses, but it's also a testament to his mental strength and composure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

1) Game of the decade

As a Barca fan it's obviously going to be the 6-2 demolition of Real Madrid in their own back yard, especially considering 12 months earlier they destroyed Barca 4-1 after getting a guard of honour. It was lovely revenge, a game where Henry showed he still had what it takes! Comprehensively pummeling Man United in the final was also a nice game for me. :P

Trying to be unbiased, this is a strange game that springs to mind, but it was absolutely bloody fantastic. It was the 2006/2007 season, and it was a 4-3 win for Spurs against West Ham. I can't even remember what grounds it was at (fairly sure it was at Upton Park), the game started off beautifully for West Ham, and Carlos Tevez scored a wonderful free kick. The pendulum kept swinging, but in essentially the final play of the game Spurs scored to win 4-3. I remember after the game Alan Curbishley even admitting that the loss would probably mean they'd be relegated. What a game though, perfect advert for the premier league. (looked on youtube for highlights of the game, nowhere to be found, perhaps I dreamt it all and I'm actually going insane...)

Special mention to Turkey vs Czech Republic at Euro 2008, what a bloody final 15 minutes. Turkey 2-0 down at the 75th minute, drawing one goal back. Seemed still that the Czech's could play the game out. 86th minute, Cech makes a massive massive howler from an inswinging cross, Nihat luckily gets a jammy touch that puts it in the back of the net. Then not two minutes later Nihat latches onto a lovely pass from midfield, turns beautifully and finishes with such composure. That goal won't be celebrated that much, but one of my favourite goals of all time, and one I'll remember my whole life. What an emphatic finish, just pure adrenaline!! Love the bend and crossbar smack on it too.

2) Team of the decade

F.C Barcelona team of the past 18 months tbh. Unbelievable quality all over the pitch. Don't think Arsenal's invincibles are nearly as impressive, infact I think Chelsea's team under Mourinho were better, they were an absolute beast, that Arsenal team drew so many games that they ended up with less than Mourinho's first team too.

Honourable mention to that United team of 2006/2007, they may have 'only' won the PL, but the football they played was absolutely spell bounding, C. Ronaldo was also a better player that season than his 42 goal season too (imo of course). They had everything.

3) Player of the decade

Over the entire decade I doubt anyone could truly argue against the consistency of Thierry Henry, fantastic player over the past 10 years. But if we're talking the best over a season or two, my vote definitely goes to Ronaldinho, what he did from 04-06 I don't think any player in the history of football could do. He made football entertaining for my nan, he was spellboundingly good, quick, powerful, strong on the ball, passing as good as Scholes/ Xavi, a mesmeric dribbler, amazing long shots. He also seemed to able to put the likes of Makalele/ Gatusso on their asses as easily as he would a Titus Bramble. He was a special special player, and I've never seen anything like that (and doubt I ever will in my lifetime).

4) Goal of the decade

There's a few that spring to mind - I'm going to be biased here, as most of them will be Barca goals.

The best dribble - Messi Getafe.
    The most natural - Ronaldinho vs Chelsea 04/05.
    The most wtf - Bergkamp vs Newcastle.
    The biggest wow factor - Ronaldinho for PSG (cant remember who he is playing, but he flicks the ball over a defender, does a few step overs, beats a man in the penalty area and chips over the keeper, it's such a good combination of everything)
    The best volley - Zidane CL final vs Bayer Lev.
    The best bicycle kick - Rivaldo vs Valencia CF.
    The best team goal - Barcelona vs Liverpool at Anfield. 27 passes and Xavi dinks the ball up to Overmars who cooly slots it in the back of the net.
    The best counter attack - Van Nistelrooy vs Valencia CF 2006/2007.

See, not biased there at all :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Game: CL Final 2005
    Team: Barcelona
    Player: Toss up between Henry, Ronaldo & Hyypia
    Goal: Toss up between these 2....so important they were

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSwilt4kfFM (Still brings a tear to the eye)
    or
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWlsWbPhS3M&feature=fvw

Advertisement