Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2 offences stopped by gardai will i receive double penalty points

• 30-12-2009 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

if im stopped by guards for for a speeding offence and another offence is noted such as non wearing of seatbelt will i receive penalty points for both offences

appreciate help thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

kwalshe wrote: »
    yes

AFAIK you only receive points for one offence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭rrrkelly

i hear that i would receive a fine for both offences but only penalty points for the the worse of the offences

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Ronanom

You should get charged double for not having the cop on to sly-ly put on your belt after being asked to pull in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Ronanom wrote: »
    You should get charged double for not having the cop on to sly-ly put on your belt after being asked to pull in.

Contrary to popular belief the Gardai aren't stupid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

You will only get the amount of penalty points for the more serious offence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭jape

You will get double points, probably 2 for each offence so 4 altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

From penaltypoints.ie

Q. What happens if I am stopped and a number of penalty point offences are detected?
    Will I receive penalty points for each one? No. Using the scenario from the previous answer [driver stopped with several passengers not wearing seatbelts] it should be borne in mind that the same driver in that scenario could have committed a speeding offence also and have been uninsured. The no-insurance offence is not a fixed charge offence so if convicted in court for driving without insurance and 5 penalty points are imposed then that being the highest number of penalty points attaching to any of the multiple offences involved would be the total number of penalty points endorsed on that drivers licence record on this occasion. The fixed charge for every individual offence, or a fine in court for every individual convicted offence, would apply however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

draffodx wrote: »
    You will only get the amount of penalty points for the more serious offence

I looked and i looked but all i can find are opinions, does anyone have a link to a document that says that you only get points for the more serious offence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

tudlytops wrote: »
    I looked and i looked but all i can find are opinions, does anyone have a link to a document that says that you only get points for the more serious offence?

Read the post above yours.

• Advertisement

In fairness, if you type 'penalty points' into google (search pages from ireland) it's the first link suggested; the home page has a link to FAQs; and your question is answered there (the piece I quoted).

I know you're probably flustered after getting stopped by the Gardai, so i don't meant to criticize, but the info is pretty easily got.

me no, I never got points or was stooped for any offence, just currious, but i did find it in the end.

Q. What happens if I am stopped and a number of penalty point offences are detected?
    Will I receive penalty points for each one? No. Using the scenario from the previous answer it should be borne in mind that the same driver in that scenario could have committed a speeding offence also and have been uninsured. The no-insurance offence is not a fixed charge offence so if convicted in court for driving without insurance and 5 penalty points are imposed then that being the highest number of penalty points attaching to any of the multiple offences involved would be the total number of penalty points endorsed on that drivers licence record on this occasion. The fixed charge for every individual offence, or a fine in court for every individual convicted offence, would apply however.

http://www.penaltypoints.ie/faq.php

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Whitewater-AGS

Basically as pointed out above you will get the points from which ever offence has the most attached and the fine for both offences, However unless you where a complete tool or continuous offender you'll more than likely only get one fine and the points for one offence.

Not reading responses to your own thread is an automatic two penalty points.

In fairness, if you type 'penalty points' into google (search pages from ireland) it's the first link suggested; the home page has a link to FAQs; and your question is answered there (the piece I quoted).

I know you're probably flustered after getting stopped by the Gardai, so i don't meant to criticize, but the info is pretty easily got.

Well I could not find it, and as i always say if you don't know then it is not a stupid question, the time it took you to write all that you could have just copied and pasted the bit i was asking for, easy.

And what made you think i was frustrated or was stopped by the Gardi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Well I could not find it, and as i always say if you don't know then it is not a stupid question, the time it took you to write all that you could have just copied and pasted the bit i was asking for, easy.

And what made you think i was frustrated or was stopped by the Gardi?
    He DID copy and paste, on the post above yours, a few posts ago.....

And because you came in here asking about penalty points and the 'penalties' excuse the pun, so that's why we assume it, you know?

He DID copy and paste, on the post above yours, a few posts ago.....

And because you came in here asking about penalty points and the 'penalties' excuse the pun, so that's why we assume it, you know?

I was just curious, nothing wrong about that.
    And I asked for a link, nothing wrong with that either.
    Why get so mad just because someone couldn't find it and asked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I was just curious, nothing wrong about that.
    And I asked for a link, nothing wrong with that either.
    Why get so mad just because someone couldn't find it and asked?
    He DID give a link....you should have really checked his post eh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

Didnt read all the thread but i believe Onkle is right and you get the points for the offence with the higher amount associated with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

... the time it took you to write all that you could have just copied and pasted the bit i was asking for ...

:D

• Advertisement

Moderator - please merge this with the thread titled 'Anyone see where I left my keys?'

Advertisement