Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improvement from the mocks?

Options
  • 30-12-2009 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

How much improvement upon your result in the mocks is possible? (in terms of points?)

Any of last years leaving certs have any thoughts?
    2 and a half - 3 months is a long time

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

I've heard of people going from D'sto A's with hard work...really hard work heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Well my biggest jump was from a D3 to a B1. I'm sure it's more than possible to go from a D to an A with enough work, just don't be expecting to do it for six subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Lawliet wrote: »
    Well my biggest jump was from a D3 to a B1. I'm sure it's more than possible to go from a D to an A with enough work, just don't be expecting to do it for six subjects.
    I only went up by 5 points, and that was with a recheck! Though I did very little study for the mocks and possibly less for the actual Leaving:p.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

I went up 130 points ish. Biggest improvement was from an E to a B2 in HL Maths, although I just had a nightmare on the day in the mocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Went up 70 points, biggest improvements were a C1 to an A1 in biology, and a C2 to an A1 in English. Went down from an A1 to a B1 in irish tho :(

Theres loads of time between the mocks and the Leaving, you'll be waaay more accustomed to the papers and will have finished the courses a good few weeks beforehand so everything will be revision, compared to before the mocks when you're still doing coursework :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I went down from 520 to 465. But that was because I was a complete nervous wreck for much of the Leaving Cert,so once you're calm and everything,you'll be grand.

One of my friends went from 230 (might have been 240) to 410,and got her course as a result. And she was really worried that she wouldn't go up from the mocks at all!

It's possible to improve on a grand scale if you put the work in yourself and know what you're doing. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭discostick12

The fact that I never bothered too much with the mocks would be the reason why I had a big improvement on the Leaving.

I regretted it straight after never studying for them and not taking the mocks seriously!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

I got 22% in my mock accounting last year, needless to say I didnt do much.......

But came out with a B3 in the real thing!:cool: (Honours btw)

I think overall I went up about 120 points from mocks to real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Hmm went from a D to a B in JC English. Hoping for a similar feat this time around

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I think it really depends on how much work you put into the mocks. If you do your best, or do the same amount of work that you would realistically do for the real LC, you probably won't change much really.

If the mocks give you a bit of a shock, and you get your ass in gear as a result, it's likely you'll improve. From my own experience, most people's points don't change too much. Grades in individual subjects might, but the overall points probably won't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭meathawk

Maths C1 - B2
    English B3 - B2
    Irish(OL) A2 - B2
    French C3 - C1
    Physics D1 - B1
    Geography C3 - A1
    Classics C2 - B2

So, 385 up to 495

Went up 90 points from Mocks to LC myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

didnt do all subjects in the mocks but in maths i went from an E to B3, biology B1 to an A1, and geography C3 to a B1

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭meathawk

The leaving cert's a bit of craic, though I missed my course by 5 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Conor108 wrote: »
    Hmm went from a D to a B in JC English. Hoping for a similar feat this time around
    I didn't study at all for JC English and I got an A. Will be different for the LC though.

Doing the LC this year, but in the JC my actual results were much better than the mocks. Only in French did I do worse than I did in the mocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

I went up from about 440/5 to 550 (originally 545 but went up on appealing music). The thing that you have to bare in mind is that if your mocks are being sent away the marker will have loads of scripts and wont really be too bothered and therefore might give you an innacurate mark. If your teacher is correcting he might mark tough to incentivise you.

Advertisement