Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

schooldays over on tin whistle??

• 30-12-2009 11:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

Hi,

just learning the tin whistle and this song struck me as an easy enough one to learn. I have been trying by ear but iots harder than I thought. I have a D whistle and the song seems to be a key lower, maybe im wrong?

Can anyone point me in the right direction, tell me if im wrong, where I can find the music etc?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

thehamo wrote: »
    Hi,

just learning the tin whistle and this song struck me as an easy enough one to learn. I have been trying by ear but iots harder than I thought. I have a D whistle and the song seems to be a key lower, maybe im wrong?

Can anyone point me in the right direction, tell me if im wrong, where I can find the music etc?

Thanks

You'll have a hard time finding sheet music for that song, so you'll have to just play it by ear along with whatever recording or people you're playing with. Songs like this are never in a set key, people will play them differently so you may well be trying to play along with a recording in a key that doesn't suite your D whistle. If you think the recording you're listening to is just one key lower then you'll need a C whistle which is quite a common key for songs. Or it might even be lower again like Bb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

The Dubliners version I have is played in C. You'd get a C whistle handy enough or you could play it on a D whistle like this,

DEGG-BAB-AABAGEGGED

The fingering would be the same on a C whistle except that all the notes are now a key lower so you could play along to the tune. Good Luck

Advertisement