Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sir Ryan?

• 31-12-2009 12:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭

Here's a simple question should Ryan Giggs be knighted in the new years honours list. I for one think this is a no brainer and yes he should as he's won everything at club level and a heap of individual awards. So for me in the new year it should be "Arise Sir Ryan".

What do you lot think?

Should Ryan Giggs be knighted in the new year? 56 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    46% 26 votes
    What's a Knight?
    53% 30 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I really don't care either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

All well and good after he retires, but not while he's playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

He'll probably get it when he retires. Has a player ever been knighted while still playing? That would be pretty awesome having the commentators call you Sir the whole time, or when the Ref is taking down your name for a booking. I'd also insist on having Sir put on the back of my jersey. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

You're Irish like, British football fan arguments aside, who the hell gives a fiddlers who gets in the Queen of Englands honours lists?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Not too sure he will be, though with the Queen being an Arsenal fan maybe Arsene Wenger might be :p

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-450089/The-Queen-self-confessed-Arsenal-fan.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Archimedes wrote: »
    He'll probably get it when he retires. Has a player ever been knighted while still playing? That would be pretty awesome having the commentators call you Sir the whole time, or when the Ref is taking down your name for a booking. I'd also insist on having Sir put on the back of my jersey. :p

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Too soon to be fair. Wait till he gets the job at BBC first

DSB wrote: »
    You're Irish like, British football fan arguments aside, who the hell gives a fiddlers who gets in the Queen of Englands honours lists?

Yeah, I mean I'm not particularly nationalistic or anything, but I can't see how it is at all relevant to us over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

lol, this is pretty silly in fairness.

I'd say even United fans couldn't give a sh1t.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Giant who cares

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Yeah, I mean I'm not particularly nationalistic or anything, but I can't see how it is at all relevant to us over here.

I suppose it just shows that you're achievements have been so great that their recognition goes far beyond the realms of the sporting world. Only 14 football personalities have ever been knighted, so it is a huge achievement and for a British national, Im sure it ranks higher than a lot of PFA / FIFA / UEFA awards. Its not something that can be earned through a couple of good seasons, it has to be earned throughout an entire career, and I cant think of anybody more deserving in modern times than Giggs. You dont have to be British (or a United fan for that matter) to like to see him win it, you just have to be a football fan. I for one would love to see Giggs get it, just for recognition alone, but if he doesnt, no biggy - everybody already knows what he's achieved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

No doubt he will get one but it will be years after he retires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

I for one think this is a no brainer and yes he should as he's won everything at club level and a heap of individual awards.

What do you lot think?

I dont think winning everything at club level and a few awards is a natural progression to a knighthood.

Not that I give a crap about a knighthood and who gets it.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Come on, who really gives a fcuk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I suppose it just shows that you're achievements have been so great that their recognition goes far beyond the realms of the sporting world. Only 14 football personalities have ever been knighted, so it is a huge achievement and for a British national, Im sure it ranks higher than a lot of PFA / FIFA / UEFA awards. Its not something that can be earned through a couple of good seasons, it has to be earned throughout an entire career, and I cant think of anybody more deserving in modern times than Giggs. You dont have to be British (or a United fan for that matter) to like to see him win it, you just have to be a football fan. I for one would love to see Giggs get it, just for recognition alone, but if he doesnt, no biggy - everybody already knows what he's achieved.

I think to be deserving of a knighthood, the person needs to go beyond excellence in his/her profession. I haven't seen much of Giggs as a campaigner for anything. He hasn't used his stardom for anything really so I don't think he should be knighted

While I see where you're coming from, I don't see how a panel deciding who gets this type of "honour" can be qualified to sift through all professional / non professional sports people in the UK and properly rank the significance of their achievements. I also think that awards on offer within the realm of soccer itself are much, much more relevant to any football fan. And finally, I feel that this type of award should represent something specific or endemic within British character or society. And I'm not sure anyone who hasn't been exposed to Britain (living there for a period / engrossed in or a student of British culture) can appreciate such things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I'm just waiting on one of the Utd lads here to insist that Minkman should get a knighthood!!!

greendom wrote: »
    I think to be deserving of a knighthood, the person needs to go beyond excellence in his/her profession. I haven't seen much of Giggs as a campaigner for anything. He hasn't used his stardom for anything really so I don't think he should be knighted

Not that going beyond excellence matters in getting a knighthood (see Chris Foy, for example) but Giggs is a prominent campaigner for Unicef, and has recently been involved in landmine removal, child trafficking and HIV awareness campaigns. He also took part in charity appeals for the asian tsunami disaster, and holds an annual charity golf day for various charities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Not that going beyond excellence matters in getting a knighthood (see Chris Foy, for example) but Giggs is a prominent campaigner for Unicef, and has recently been involved in landmine removal, child trafficking and HIV awareness campaigns. He also took part in charity appeals for the asian tsunami disaster.

Sorry I had no idea about any of that and I need to change my vote if that's the case. Fair play to him I see him in a completely new light now. ( I didn't think Foy was deserving of his award btw)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Not that going beyond excellence matters in getting a knighthood (see Chris Foy, for example) but Giggs is a prominent campaigner for Unicef, and has recently been involved in landmine removal, child trafficking and HIV awareness campaigns. He also took part in charity appeals for the asian tsunami disaster, and holds an annual charity golf day for various charities.

If he's been involved in child trafficking he should probably be overlooked for a knighthood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

dont realy give a ****e tbh and i reckon beckham will get one first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Could.not.agree.more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

event wrote: »
    dont realy give a ****e tbh and i reckon beckham will get one first

Not before Katie Price though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

If he's been involved in child trafficking he should probably be overlooked for a knighthood.

Post of the century.

Post of the century.

Further proof that threads should never be locked until the discussion is finished - we may have not have witnessed that little gem otherwise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

knighthoods in their current format are THE GREATEST load of ****e ever.
    As is the monarchy.

I have never called alex ferguson "sir" when referring to him, and its my own opinion that if i were ever awarded a knighthood, i'd turn it down.
    (i am aware I will never be offered a knighthood)
    Id much prefer to be put in a FIFA hall of fame type thing than be knghted if i were ryan giggs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Couldn't give a sh1t tbh, not sure anyone does.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

ahahaha well played dannydiamond!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

He probably will, being from Utd and all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Should be an atari jaguar option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I can forgive the child trafficking, but I'll never forgive him for this..

076giggs_468x604.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

knighthoods in their current format are THE GREATEST load of ****e ever.
    As is the monarchy.

I have never called alex ferguson "sir" when referring to him, and its my own opinion that if i were ever awarded a knighthood, i'd turn it down.
    Id much prefer to be put in a FIFA hall of fame type thing than be knghted if i were ryan giggs

He's already in several of those types of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

A mod posting with the intention of destroying the thread due to bias? Where have i seen that before??? Being honest and putting your Liverpool bias aside has Ryan Giggs not done enough for the English game to deserve a knighthood???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Podge2k7 wrote: »
    Couldn't give a sh1t tbh, not sure anyone does.
    5starpool wrote: »
    He probably will, being from Utd and all.
    Come on, who really gives a fcuk?

Really disappointed at this.

Giggs has been one of the best players the premiership has ever seen and you cant put your bias aside for this.

Pretty petty. Even for Liverpool fans!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

If Brian Clough wasn't deserving of a knighthood then Ryan Giggs aint either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

if i were ever awarded a knighthood, i'd turn it down.

My arse you would

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

curry-muff wrote: »

Giggs has been one of the best players the premiership has ever seen and you cant put your bias aside for this.

Don't think anyone will deny Gigg's legendary status but caring/calling for a knighthood? No, couldn't care less. Match magazine recognizing him with an award is better than some old royal granny touching him with a sword IMO

MEH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

CHD wrote: »
    Match magazine recognizing him with an award is better than some old royal granny touching him with a sword
    :D

I'm not being petty, i just couldn't give a crap about who is going to be knighted. If Gerrard was going to be knighted i still wouldn't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Yeah, it's as relevant to us as British football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

You need to log off your computer and get outside a bit more

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Here's a simple question should Ryan Giggs be knighted in the new years honours list. I for one think this is a no brainer and yes he should as he's won everything at club level and a heap of individual awards. So for me in the new year it should be "Arise Sir Ryan".

What do you lot think?

cartoonbird2.jpg

So Giggs didn't get a knighthood, but guess who did?????

Jason Roberts!!! Yep, the Blackburn striker :D

For his Charity Work!!

And to Curry-Muff, people here aren't saying Giggs doesn't deserve it. They just don't care either way and i agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

monkey9 wrote: »

For his Charity Work!!

And to Curry-Muff, people here aren't saying Giggs doesn't deserve it. They just don't care either way and i agree.
    Fair play to Roberts. Good to see a footballer giving something back to the community.

Fair play to Roberts. Good to see a footballer giving something back to the community.

Can't think of a more deserving footballer! :pac:

A mod posting with the intention of destroying the thread due to bias? Where have i seen that before??? Being honest and putting your Liverpool bias aside has Ryan Giggs not done enough for the English game to deserve a knighthood???

When the topic at hand is a British Knighthood / order of merit / whatever the **** they call it; holding an opinion of 'I do not care' is a valid contribution to an Irish football forum. My not caring has nothing to do with being a Liverpool / Utd / whoever fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Who cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

monkey9 wrote: »

For his Charity Work!!

Don't think Roberts got a knighthood, I think Ian McGeehan was the only sportsperson to get one which I am delighted with. He has been amazing for the game of rugby union

Advertisement