Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A nice little festive story

• 31-12-2009 12:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

I read this on another forum. It made me well up. Perhaps other people can share nice little stories?

Supposedly My Best Gift Ever
    Or so my mum says. It's not exactly your average gift, but she still talks about it.

One year, when I was about 11 years old, mum came home from the shops in tears. She'd just been out to buy the christmas food, but somebody else had obviously been looking for a bargain and had mugged her and stolen her purse. She reported it to the police, who were, of course, no help whatsoever.
    Seeing my poor mum so distraught, I had a bit of a brainwave: I'd go carol singing! The few posher streets in our area were always good for a few quid, so I donned my parka and set off, towing mum's shopping trolley with me. Fortunately, she didn't notice me taking it.
    Through the freezing wind and slushy snow I trudged, peddling my dodgy vocal talents from house to house. After 2 hours, I decided I'd had enough and called it a day. When I counted up my takings, the total was a little over £50. I was delighted! scurrying as quickly as I could, I made my way to the local supermarket, where I filled the trolley with festive treats, including a fairly decent sized turkey. Every last penny went on shopping, from bread and milk to toilet rolls, everything I thought we'd need. Feeling very pleased with myself, I towed the trolley home in the growing dusk.
    I arrived home to see mum still red-eyed, worrying about how she'd cope without the food money. I showed her the trolley full of goodies and explained what I'd done.
    I didn't expect the waterworks that followed! Mum absolutely sobbed her eyes out. In my tiny kiddy brain, I thought I'd done something wrong.
    She gave me the biggest hug imaginable and kept right on crying.
    We had a great christmas that year.
    That was 25 years ago, but she still talks about it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

Now that's such a refreshing change from the cynical markering hype and the stories of dysfunctional family argy-bargy that ruin this time of year. I say to the teller of that story, hooray for you and hooray for your mum! And hooray for the good folks who appreciated your singing!

Advertisement