Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reliable run around for 3 to 4K?

• 31-12-2009 1:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Looking to buy my own first car in 2010. Not looking for anything special, as Mon to Fri I get the Luas into work, so no wish to buy something fancy and just have it parked up for most of the week. So just looking to get something I use at weekends to pick up groceries, run errands, drive to sports etc.

Some requirements:
    • Must be reliable
    • Nothing girly (Corsa, Punto, etc)
    • Cheap to run (tax, insurance, etc)
    • In a condition where I don't have to worry about some major mechanical fault occuring within the first 6 months
    • Not a complete banger!

I'd like to restrict my budget to 3-4K and so avoid the need for a car loan. So what sort of cars would people recommend I look at for this budget that satisfy my requirements? Ford Focus? VW Polo (newer model)? Where would the best place be to look for such car? Online ads or private dealers?

Thanks for all advice!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

96-00 Honda Civic, engine will never hurt you financially, tax is cheap as it's 1.4, insurance isn't too hard with the coded key and whatnot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Panda def fails the non girly requirement, the Fiesta might too, but it is a good price and at a glance looks in good condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That Fiesta looks good, right spec, right engine, right colour, great mileage. they're decent in that garage too but don't expect much discount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

96-00 Honda Civic, engine will never hurt you financially, tax is cheap as it's 1.4, insurance isn't too hard with the coded key and whatnot.

Blah Blah Blah Honda Civic,will you ever get over it

• Advertisement

jackncoke wrote: »
    I'll set the record straight first, my Civic is a 95, 1.3 DX, so don't get it wrong yes?

Now, a reason for your comment?

Am I not allowed to make a reasonable suggestion without somebody not liking the car?

Spending €4000 on a good Civic makes exceptional sense, the car won't give trouble, won't mind being used infrequently and will hold it's value much better than a Fiesta, Corsa etc.

I'll set the record straight first, my Civic is a 95, 1.3 DX, so don't get it wrong yes?

Now, a reason for your comment?

Am I not allowed to make a reasonable suggestion without somebody not liking the car?

Yeah,you're obsessed, get over it or grow up
    RoverJames wrote: »
    Spending €4000 on a good Civic makes exceptional sense, the car won't give trouble, won't mind being used infrequently and will hold it's value much better than a Fiesta, Corsa etc.

What,you'd spend 4k on a 00 civic?

So am I to completely lose interest in a certain car just because you don't like it?

Hmmmm.

I'd spend 4,000 on an exceptional Civic, because I'm obsessed with Civics you know, every last bit of me loooovessss them!

What do you drive?

Nope, I never said that, I merely would advise the OP to spend the entire budget so he / she will get the most modern, minty example possible. I wouldn't imagine €4000 would get you anything newer than a 2002 Civic though to be honest. And the mileage would be well over 60K on most of them. €4000 should get a mint 2001 one from a dealer that is fully serviced with good tires and in excellent condition.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the suggestion guys, keep them coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Be aware that scummers that hang around the Luas car park when you're at work love Hondas, that's assuming you use that car park of course.

So am I to completely lose interest in a certain car just because you don't like it?

Hmmmm.

I'd spend 4,000 on an exceptional Civic, because I'm obsessed with Civics you know, every last bit of me loooovessss them!

What do you drive?

OP wants a runaround, and what do I drive?

None of your business,get over your Honda fanboy answers.It wrecks everyones head.

OP wants a runaround, and what do I drive?

None of your business,get over your Honda fanboy answers.It wrecks everyones head.
    So because I suggest a car that could cater for the OP's requirements, it immediately means it wrecks everybodies heads?

Seems it's only you that's 'head wrecked' round here?

In fairness he gave excellent advice, reliable, fuel efficient, inexpensive to maintain, adequate for motorway driving if required, they hold their value and are easy to sell. Obviously there is a bit of history or whatever between ye (either that or you are a seriously rude individual) but hogging a thread with Honda fan boy accusations isn't really the thing to do. As my user name suggests I am not a Honda fanboy but I do think the Civic fits the bill rather nicely, as does the Corolla someone else just suggested.

RoverJames wrote: »
    In fairness he gave excellent advice, reliable, fuel efficient, inexpensive to maintain, adequate for motorway driving if required, they hold their value and are easy to sell. Obviously there is a bit of history or whatever between ye (either that or you are a seriously rude individual) but hogging a thread with Honda fan boy accusations isn't really the thing to do. As my user name suggests I am not a Honda fanboy but I do think the Civic fits the bill rather nicely, as does the Corolla someone else just suggested.
    Thank you muchly, and no, not a bit of history, never talked before I don't think, so he's just a bit annoyed I'd say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Something jap anyway if you want hassle free motoring. I worked in rental car business for ages, we had all of the below cars, and below is the truth

Civic <- all 'round good car, go for a vtec one for the smile factor
    Almera <- go for the older N15 model, the newer N16 is a ball of dirt
    Corolla <- good car, but personally i'm not a Toyota man, they all feel the same to drive ( clunky and cheap ), that is the regular run of the mill stuff. Supra's, chasers, soarers, all nice cars to drive tho...
    Focus <- We had these on the fleet, thought they were probably the most horrible, gutless, piece of cr*p, yet irish people love them :confused:

loads more but they would be a few choices for run arounds. If it was my money, i'd buy a 99, 00 N15 almera, pay up to 1500 for a good one, and have fun with the rest of the money.

jackncoke drives a car with a really really big boot!

boards.ie's official favourite car of all time!

colm_mcm wrote: »

My Mammy has a Mondeo too =D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Skoda roomster?

Octavia me thinks :D

yeah, but it's the nice Octavia :D

You better believe it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

One more response like this and you'll be taking a week off.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭crótach

hmmm.. maybe he's compensating for something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

crótach wrote: »
    hmmm.. maybe he's compensating for something?

Read the post above yours because it applies to you too

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭crótach

Onkle wrote: »
    Read the post above yours because it applies to you too

I'm sorry, I couldn't help it.

To get back to the topic, I'm looking for something similar myself. 3-4k for a reliable car, something that can preferrably be sold on without too much hassle.

How do Peugeots and Citroens stand here? I've seen 307s go for around that price, with less mileage and newer than Nissan/Honda/Toyota in the same price bracket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Flyer1 wrote: »
    Something jap anyway if you want hassle free motoring. I worked in rental car business for ages, we had all of the below cars, and below is the truth

Civic <- all 'round good car, go for a vtec one for the smile factor
    Almera <- go for the older N15 model, the newer N16 is a ball of dirt
    Corolla <- good car, but personally i'm not a Toyota man, they all feel the same to drive ( clunky and cheap ), that is the regular run of the mill stuff. Supra's, chasers, soarers, all nice cars to drive tho...
    Focus <- We had these on the fleet, thought they were probably the most horrible, gutless, piece of cr*p, yet irish people love them :confused:

loads more but they would be a few choices for run arounds. If it was my money, i'd buy a 99, 00 N15 almera, pay up to 1500 for a good one, and have fun with the rest of the money.

The Almera and Corolla are just reliable, boring domestic appliances. Maybe a Civic, but the Focus would wins hands down (especially the MK1). The 1.4 is a bit sluggish, so I'd go with the 1.6 hatchback. If this engine is too big for insurance, tax etc., just get the 1.4. A Fiesta might be a bit 'girly' too. The Focus of that era left every other car for dead in the driving department - handling, ride etc., and it is very reliable and robust. It was built in Germany too. I'd seek out the Ghia model too when buying second-hand, as it had a gorgeous interior and a few more extras. It's probably the best car Ford has ever built.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

crótach wrote: »
    To get back to the topic, I'm looking for something similar myself. 3-4k for a reliable car, something that can preferrably be sold on without too much hassle.

how about a nice Honda Civic, maybe EK shape (96-00). cheap, reliable (with routine maintainance) the car will still be driving in 30 years!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

A ford would be cheaper for parts and repairs too. Though a Civic would also be on my shortlist too.

307's and French cars in generaly have a bad repuation on all the review sites. But I know lots of people who've had no problem with them. No expeirence of them myself. I've had one good Nissan (Micra) and one bad Nissan (Primera) so I think its down to the condition and history (not man dealer history) of the specific car, when buying 2nd hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

My Mother, Sister and Grandfather had Honda Civics

they are a reliable enough car, but my Mams 00 one started giving trouble there about a 2 year back. we sold it in the end. she was the first owner.

Civics are expensive to insure when placed in comparison with cars such as Fiesta's and Polo's because of this "Boy Racer" rep they have.... see here

If I were you I'd be looking at a Colt, Polo, 206 etc... (IE Small hatch backs)

They are cheap enough to run, insurance is cheap and the Tax is cheap too.
    If ya fancied something with maybe a little more *POP* you chould always for for the MG ZR (I think they look nice)

Thanks for the suggestions guys (apart from the fanboy diversion ;)).
    Some interesting suggestions. I'd agree that a Jap car is probably a good buy from a reliability point of few. Like the idea of a Focus as my dad has had a couple and no problems with them.

Personally I wouldn't go near a fiat of any model, just don't think they're reliable. And for the price I'm looking at I'm limited to Puntos it would seem, way too girly/learning to drive. (I'm a 32 yr old male, full licence since 19 btw)

What would people think of buying a slightly newer car (Mondeo, Octavia, Avensis, sales rep cars, etc) that had high mileage (100K+)? Would they be worth or would the high mileage in such a short time often mean that parts will need replacing very soon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You obviously don't really know or care about cars or what way they drive, as long as you can do your shopping and the thing is cheap to run and own and will never break down. In that case it would be a lot more prudent to buy the '02 Corolla for €3k (and keep the €1k for a rainy day) rather than an '01 Civic for €4k.

Bigger cars are very good value for money in Ireland to buy, but you don't need one and they will cost more to run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Would defo recommend Skoda Octavia 1.4. Have one for 2 years with no problems. Definitely up there with Jap reliability (& I've owned plenty of Jap motors). Now got 105K miles. Loads of room but no massive power. only 75bhp but light on juice & tax/ins.

T.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

grahambo wrote: »
    ...If ya fancied something with maybe a little more *POP* you chould always for for the MG ZR (I think they look nice)

Unfortunate choice of words...pop

Advertisement