Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2009 team report

Options
  • 31-12-2009 1:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

2009 has been a good year for us.we got ourselves out of the sh1te we were in and now look like contenders for the cl.here's how i think the squad have rated for the year.

gomes=finally looking like the keeper we were all told he is.great shotstopper and a good last line of defence.
    cudicini=idiot,crashed his bike and will be lucky if he plays for us again
    bae=everyone says he's our most improved player but he tends to overplay in his own half.
    corluka=excellent player.he makes up for his lack of pace by reading the game superbly.
    bassong & dawson= both were seen as backup at the start of this season but now have looked like a decent pairing
    king & woodgate=injurys have blighted both their years,don't know if harry will persevere much longer if they can't regain full fitness.
    lennon=finally an end product to all those blistering runs.beats defenders with ease,scores his fair share and he is already in the teens with his assists
    modric & kranjar=luka was v unlucky to break is leg so thank god we signed niko.they give redknapp a nice headache weather to play either or both.
    palacios=was understandably affected by the death of his brother but now looks back to his best.just the type of player we needed
    huddlestone=undoubted ability and a big improvement from previous seasons.redknapp has shown faith in him and is being repaid with some v good performances.
    jenas=lost his place in midfield and it wouldn't be a shock to me if he made a suprise move in jan
    keane=came back with his tail between his legs 11 months ago and hasn't looked the same player we sold to liverpool.won't be sold in jan but i can see him moving on in the summer.
    crouch=it's obvious that harry sees him as defoes perfect partner up front.he's doing ok but i'd like to see more goals from him.
    defoe=he's red hot atm and long may it continue.he has it all,skill,pace,deadly finishing and a powerfull shot.a complete striker.

bentley,dos santos,pav,hutton,bale=have all fallen down the pecking order although it looks like bale will get his chance while bae plays in the acn.

overall i'm happy with the squad.we have no obvious weak links and most of the players are doing well.lets hope 2010 is another good year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Dave11

hotspur147 wrote: »
    2009 has been a good year for us.we got ourselves out of the sh1te we were in and now look like contenders for the cl.here's how i think the squad have rated for the year.

gomes=finally looking like the keeper we were all told he is.great shotstopper and a good last line of defence.
    bae=everyone says he's our most improved player but he tends to overplay in his own half.
    corluka=excellent player.he makes up for his lack of pace by reading the game superbly.
    bassong & dawson= both were seen as backup at the start of this season but now have looked like a decent pairing
    king & woodgate=injurys have blighted both their years,don't know if harry will persevere much longer if they can't regain full fitness.
    lennon=finally an end product to all those blistering runs.beats defenders with ease,scores his fair share and he is already in the teens with his assists
    modric & kranjar=luka was v unlucky to break is leg so thank god we signed niko.they give redknapp a nice headache weather to play either or both.
    palacios=was understandably affected by the death of his brother but now looks back to his best.just the type of player we needed
    huddlestone=undoubted ability and a big improvement from previous seasons.redknapp has shown faith in him and is being repaid with some v good performances.
    jenas=lost his place in midfield and it wouldn't be a shock to me if he made a suprise move in jan
    keane=came back with his tail between his legs 11 months ago and hasn't looked the same player we sold to liverpool.won't be sold in jan but i can see him moving on in the summer.
    crouch=it's obvious that harry sees him as defoes perfect partner up front.he's doing ok but i'd like to see more goals from him.
    defoe=he's red hot atm and long may it continue.he has it all,skill,pace,deadly finishing and a powerfull shot.a complete striker.

bentley,dos santos,pav,hutton,bale=have all fallen down the pecking order although it looks like bale will get his chance while bae plays in the acn.

overall i'm happy with the squad.we have no obvious weak links and most of the players are doing well.lets hope 2010 is another good year

Eh.....calling the man an 'idiot' because a someone pulled out in front of him is a bit harsh!!! I think you should amend that!! just my opinion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭StillRickyVilla

hotspur147 wrote: »

Yep pretty fair summary!

I agree, don't think there is much wrong with the squad. I can't help feeling that say if we had just one more world class forward player like a Rooney, Drogba or Torres we would be talking about a title challenge - I really believe that.

I feel if we can make the CL the money and prestige that would bring could persuade a superstar striker to join us in the summer.

In the mean-time it might be worth taking a risk on someone like Van Nistelrooy - if he's fit and the same player he was - he could be the difference on a short-term basis.

p.s. Agree with you re.Crouch upfront. He has only 4 league goals for us. By comparison, the much maligned by Spurs fans, Darren Bent for instance, in a much poorer Sunderland team, has 13 league goals. I wonder what those extra 9 goals would have done for us points-wise? I was at the West Ham game and i have to be honest i thought Crouch was poor. No movement, kept losing it, only ever passed it sideways or backwards when 'bringing others into the game' - and surprisingly was even TERRIBLE in the air - kept getting brushed out of it by the CBs. The only positive was he stands at the near post and clears the ball when we are defending corners!! Hopefully his presence won't detract too much from us in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I'd agree with most of the above comments but one thing I feel is an important factor and I thinks its a point thats being overlooked, is our lack of a consistent and familiar cb partnership. I think if we had 2 quality non injury prone cbs playing solidly week in week out then our chances of a top 4 would be much higher. We're capable of knocking in plenty of goals witht the players we have but I think our priority in the transfer window should be 1 or 2 solid cbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Woodgate

Dave11 wrote: »
    Eh.....calling the man an 'idiot' because a someone pulled out in front of him is a bit harsh!!! I think you should amend that!! just my opinion!
    He is an idiot, he was not supposed to be on a motorbike, it's in most players contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Pretty fair assessment there. Ive been very impressed with most of the squad but still have one or two reservations like most.

BAE, Thudd and Defoe have been outstanding in my opinion but I agree that we would be a lot better with a consistent CB partnership. This would also allow for a stronger spine to the team. Not sure if buying is the right option though. That might just leave us with the problem of who to select when everyone is fit.

Just saw there actually that Bassong has been left out of the cameroon squad for the african cup of nations. Hopefully that will allow dawson and himself to form a strong understanding

• Advertisement
Advertisement