Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westie Advice - In Heat / When to allow to have a litter?

Options
  • 31-12-2009 1:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

Hi

We've got a West Highland terrier bitch, 18 months old. She's currently in her second "heat" and we are thinking about allowing her to have a litter.

Can someone give us advice on how long her heat lasts, when to allow a dog to cover her, and finally - what age should she be before we allow her to have a litter? Is 18 months too young to get her pregnant?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

18 months is too young, she will not be mature enough....she must be at least 2 years of age.

But I do not promote breeding, neutering is the only way for me I am afraid too many unwanted dogs in the world. Especially westies!!! I just wouldn't put a dog through pregnancy in case there are complications, which happens only too often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

suziwalsh wrote: »
    18 months is too young, she will not be mature enough....she must be at least 2 years of age.

But I do not promote breeding, neutering is the only way for me I am afraid too many unwanted dogs in the world. Especially westies!!! I just wouldn't put a dog through pregnancy in case there are complications, which happens only too often.

I agree. The country is full of Westies, we don't need more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

To answer the question - I would wait until 2.5/3 years until allowing a bitch to breed so yes, 18 months is too young. Her heat will last about 3 weeks.

With regards to the breeding - why do you want to breed? Have you health screened your dog? Pregnancy for a dog is risky and there is no guarantee that you will come out the other end with a healthy pet and pups, if complication happen they develop very fast and all the dogs can be lost. Ethical breeding has very little profit in it, most of the money paid for the pups goes on vets, food etc. and there is very little (if any!) left once the pups are in new homes. There are so many unwanted dogs out there that personally I wouldn't breed but obviously, the decision is your as to whether you want to breed of not but please do all your research if you do take the plunge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Firstly, 18 months is too young to have a litter and secondly, why do want to "allow" her to have a litter??
    She doesnt need to have a litter as some people think, thats an old wives tale and people need to realise dogs dont need to "have" litters just because.

A heat last approx 3 weeks and you need to get her swabbed/tested at the vets to see when she is at the right day for mating.

If you do want to breed from her then she needs to be at least 2 years old or older.
    But first you need to answer some questions before ou decide to breed from her:
    • Is she a really good example of the breed?
    • Has she had all her necessary health checks for westies? (this is not just a quick once over from the vet)
    • Have you homes lined up for the pups that you might have?
    • Are you prepared to risk losing your bitch through the birth and even the puppies too?
      Have you the time and money to put in if the pups need to be hand reared if the mother doesnt accept them?

If you cant answer yes to all these questions then i would urge to reconsider breeding your bitch as its not all its cracked up to be, its a lot of hard work, huge risk and not a lot of money to be made as some people think there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Fully agree with what the previous posters have said, also, the health tests got for the sire as well and one needs to make sure that the two lines are compatible health wise. I currently have a litter of Kleinspitz pups here, their mother was surrendered to me and she gave birth on the 24th of November. As cute and all as the pups are, they are tremendously hard work and she only had four. The country is FULL with fluffy pups and so is Maureen at Westie Rescue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement