Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rented house, couple of problems

Options
  • 31-12-2009 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Myself and the OH moved into a rented house about 3 weeks ago. We only saw the house briefly before we decided to take it (there was a family living in it when we viewed it so felt a bit awkward about poking round it properly).

We love the house itself. The location, size of the house etc is perfect but we've noticed somethings that need sorting. The main concern is heating and condensation as well as a bit of dampness. Only half the radiators work properly. The bad half only heat at the bottom or not at all. I've bled them numerous times but to no avail. I figure the heating needs balancing and some of the rads probably need to be flushed. Theres condensation under some bedroom windows thats causing some mold to grow. We're having a hard time getting our letting agents to sort things i.e. not returning calls or texts. We've taken pictures of everything.

The owners of the house live in Dublin (we're in Cork). I reckon that the exterior cavity block walls need to be filled with insulation.

The last occupiers, we found out, only stayed there 3 months. I'm just wondering would landlords be willing to put some money into repairs (plumbing, insulation) or would they be happy for us to move out after another month and get someone else in and continue this cycle. We're good tenants and are looking to settle for the next 3 years or so. We're not going to contact our letting agents till jan 4th being christmas and all but they don't inspire confidence.

It's an oldish house. Late 50's early 60's I would guess. According to our lease the landlord is liable for structural repairs and maintainence. Would the insulation issue fall under that catagory ? Would they be liable to sort out the heating issue ?

Thanks for any thoughts,

Heckler

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 lynner83

just wondering if there is a BER rating on this house? If there isnt asked the landlord/estate agents to have this conducted in the house as it may highlight many of the problems you have discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Heckler

Hi,

No. No BER rating for the house was given. Are they obliged to provide one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,361 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Heckler wrote: »
    Hi,

No. No BER rating for the house was given. Are they obliged to provide one ?

yep by law all new tenants after 1st jan 2009 should be shown a ber (existing tenancies are unaffected until the tenacy chages as far as i understand it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Many properties can not be insulated cheaply and it is highly unlikely such large expense will be forked out on a property. Cavity Block houses common in Ireland can be insulated by external insulation or internal insulated plaster boards. Both are quite expensive and you won't find many landlords able or willing to fork out the money.

The condensation issue is down to air flow which is actually often caused by upgrades to property such as new windows or doors. Personal use of the property is often the cause of the problem rather than the property itself. Air vents in rooms are often closed due to a draft but if they were open the issue would less of a problem. Had a tenant break the fan in the bathroom due to the sound and then complain about the mould in the bathroom.

A landlord might not pay for the heating system to be flushed but it is his interest to maintain equipment as the tenant usually won't, it is a bit of a grey area. Personally I think the tenant should pay but I don't expect them to.

Advertisement