Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consistently Losing DSL Sync

• 31-12-2009 2:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

I wonder can you suggest possible reasons for my problem.

I'm a BT, soon to be Vodafone, Broadband customer.

I'm consistently losing DSL sync. I surf away, perhaps for around 30 mins and quite often I lose connection with the internet. I look at the Netopia Router, and the DSL sync light has gone out. Wait a few minutes, and it comes back. Sometimes, I have to switch the router off and then on again. Sometimes, after another 20-30 mins I lose connection again.

Do you think this is likely to be:

1. A router issue (it works fine most of the time)
    2. A phone line issue (please, not the dreaded call to BT or Vodafone support:eek:
    3. A contention issue
    4. The provider deliberatley bumping people off to stop file sharing etc. (I don't do any of that. Mainly podcasts and Google Mail etc)
    5. Another explanation.

I know you don't have a crystal ball, but your gut instinct would be appreciated. I'm going to bed shortly, but your help would be appreciated.

Modus

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 modus

I just read the sticky at the top of the forum.

Nothing has changed in my house recently, so I don't think it's an alarm/sky box/filter problem. I've only experienced this problem in the last couple of weeks.

Modus

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

modus wrote: »
    I just read the sticky at the top of the forum.

Nothing has changed in my house recently, so I don't think it's an alarm/sky box/filter problem. I've only experienced this problem in the last couple of weeks.

Modus

Lines stats from your modem is the first place to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Getting similar problems myself and after much investigation it appears that it is the result of having an IP address that is 'dynamic assigned' as per PPPoE on the VF network. Then if VF assign you a new IP address your router should drop sync and then resync to the new address. Some routers are better than others than this (Netgear, like mine seem notoriously bad).

You can see these settings by logging into your router mangement page.

Mine seems to happen at random and normally overnight. It shouldn't happen loads during the day. There are some settings you can fiddle with in your router but they may not achieve much. Try a google search under 'losing dsl sync' for your router for help. I found out loads of complaints about my Netgear but maybe it is a wider issue and maybe something VF need to address?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If you are constantly losing sync there is a good chance that your snr has disimproved. As Spear has suggested line stats are a good place to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭paul150

yeah had this problem but less severe and it was a low SnR that was to blame

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Post your line stats - A friend had a similar issue and as did a colleague and spoke to someone in BT who explained it to them.

What is happening is a lot of the technical back-end work happens before the date you are given for your migration. Vodafone offer different packages to BT and some customers are being upgraded to the highest possible speed the new, probbably faster package you are on with Vodafone can support, sometimes this is higher than what the line can actually support stably which has the effect of intermittent DSL Sync. Support can fix that for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,093 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I dont think this is a SNR issue, it is something to do with Vodafone or our BT routers.

I am having the same issue.

With BT, everything was fine and very stable. Now that Vodafone have taken over it is very flaky. Switch on the router in the morning and you might get a proper connection. In this instance I will have a connection to 89.19.64.129 as the default gateway and the primary DNS will be 89.19.64.164.

Then after a while, could be many hours or much less, I will find I have apparently 'lost' connection. When this happens, the connection lights on the router are fine, but when I check the router configuration - lo-and-behold, the default gateway now starts with 193. and likewise for the DNS will now be 192.111.39.1 These are the 'old' settings for connecting to BT

Usually when I hit the disconnect button in the router config. manager, it will establish a new connection - usually to the Vodafone gateway but sometimes back to the BT gateway.

I was on the phone to Vodafhone tech support a couple of weeks ago when this first started happening and I reset the router at their suggestion and changed the old BT DNS servers in my internet config for the Vodafone ones, but all that has really not done anything.

I suspect the problem must lie at Vodafones end because the Router seems to get it's Gateway and DNS info when it makes a connection, they are not designated as pre-defined settings within the router but are rather dynamically assigned.

Anyone have a clue as to how to fix this. I will get back on to Vodafone but I am not confident of my chances. Whenever you get tech support people and tell them the problem is at their end, they always seem to get their backs up and assume you are thick and try everything under the sun to disprove you - looking at their end as a last resort and finding out you were right. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

This just sounds exactly like my experience. I don't want to buy a new router and still have problems. Let everyone know how you get on with technical support. Routers are supposed to be left on all the time and surely some must be able to do so and some can't. Then we can compare our line readings and settings with those of the successful ones to find out the problems.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

cnocbui wrote: »
    I dont think this is a SNR issue, it is something to do with Vodafone or our BT routers........

What is the harm in posting it given how many times people have asked for it?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,093 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

dub45 wrote: »
    What is the harm in posting it given how many times people have asked for it?:rolleyes:

No harm at all, however the likely relevance of SNR to a miss allocated gateway is probably very slight ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement