Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion [Snow showers hitting east from 4pm] ( New Years Eve 2009 )

Options

Comments

more rain with a very few sorrowfull looking wet flakes blowing with it...
    I think I heard one of them say to the other that croghan was left at the next junction and that they all should hole up there for a while..

2.5/0.7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Temp really on the fall now. 0.8c and feeling increasingly colder. 6 mph mean windspeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

The snowflakes that don't come in Winter bear a striking resemblance to the the sunshine thats doesn't come in Summer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

i think -10c would be possible here tonight as skies are really clear and barely any wind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

For those of us on the east coast there are another 24hrs left for something to occur before the low-mid level winds start to back around to a more northerly direction, thus limiting the number of showers that will make it inland. So by this time tomorrow the north and northwest coasts should start to see some action, less so for the rest of us, though some of the showers off the east coast may still touch coastal fringes.

Lerwick and Albemarle soundings from 12Z today are a a loaded gun scenario. Dewpoints are currenty just below zero. Assuming this air crosses 3000ft terrain on its way to the Irish Sea, losing its moisture as it does so, the dewpoints will decrease by about 5°C, giving plenty of scope for them to rise again over the Irish Sea and still reach us below zero.

2009123112.03005.skewt.gif

2009123112.03238.skewt.gif

Also, with a 17°C difference between the sea surface and H850, sea-effect showers will be plentiful (I hope!)

09123121_3112.gif

09123121_3112.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Rougies wrote: »
    It's wearing very thin for a lot of us over here! Look at the synoptics, look at all the hype, look at the wind direction, and it's almost January and we're getting fckuing rain showers!

I feel your pain. Snow lovers in the East, and Dublin in particular, seem to have had a run of bad luck with this cold spell.

I've seen some nice frosts out of this spell here in Swords, but nothing that we didn't have in the winters before the string of mild ones of the last decade or so. The coldest morning of the spell in the run up to Christmas was still warmer than the coldest day last winter. It's certainly not living up to the hype. The only thing that sticks out for me is the length of the spell, but I doubt it will be a memorable spell for me.

(Disclaimer: This is one Dub's view of the cold spell. It does not represent the views of folks in other parts of the country who have been prisoners in their homes two weeks)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Wibbler wrote: »
    I feel your pain. Snow lovers in the East, and Dublin in particular, seem to have had a run of bad luck with this cold spell.

I've seen some nice frosts out of this spell here in Swords, but nothing that we didn't have in the winters before the string of mild ones of the last decade or so. The coldest morning of the spell in the run up to Christmas was still warmer than the coldest day last winter. It's certainly not living up to the hype. The only thing that sticks out for me is the length of the spell, but I doubt it will be a memorable spell for me.

(Disclaimer: This is one Dub's view of the cold spell. It does not represent the views of folks in other parts of the country who have been prisoners in their homes two weeks)

Well I second that, down here it's just rain rain and more rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Sky turning a weird colour here. Looks like we're gonna have more sleet/rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

yyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh

Powdery sneachta in the Fada

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

Sky turning a weird colour here. Looks like we're gonna have more sleet/rain.

Where? can you put your location in your profile please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

judging by the clouds to the west and north west it looks like there are some showers around the coast already. i wonder is there sneachta falling from them

lashing rain here now.
    Totally totally useless.

3.2/0.6

wah wha, worst cold spell ever???;)

Looking at my own Davis V2 data for December, it is looking like tonight will bring me my 14th midnight to midnight airfrost of the month:

100367.jpg

Right now the temp is at 0.3c, won't be long before the 14th one is achieved. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

stebishop wrote: »
    Where? can you put your location in your profile please?

Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

judging by the clouds to the west and north west it looks like there are some showers around the coast already. i wonder is there sneachta falling from them
    *peeks out the window
    No sign yet!
    Although Im beginning to feel like the bird woman from home alone 2, the back of my house is full of birds looking for food , even seagulls lol

I see Belmullet had a hail shower at 3pm.

Pangea wrote: »
    *peeks out the window
    No sign yet!
    Although Im beginning to feel like the bird woman from home alone 2, the back of my house is full of birds looking for food , even seagulls lol

once the winds back northerly that should change. i might be travelling up to the north of Donegal tomorrow, so hopefully if i am there will be some snow along the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

*peeks out the window
    No sign yet!

I went out earlier & just threw the seed all over the grass - poor things cant find no worms... Like the scene from homealone within minutes .....

*peeks out the window
    No sign yet!

no snow here yet none on radar either the clouds are just small patchy ones tons of them though. edit looking out towards donegal can see one forming!

0.2c now. Getting there...

• Advertisement

once the winds back northerly that should change. i might be travelling up to the north of Donegal tomorrow, so hopefully if i am there will be some snow along the way.
    God, ul harley get home , I would not advise going up to North donegal tomorrow lol Seriously
    jenzz wrote: »
    I went out earlier & just threw the seed all over the grass - poor things cant find no worms... Like the scene from homealone within minutes .....
    I feed the birds everything and anything , Last day i threw out half a pizza and it was gone within minutes , the big crows and what not devour everything.

How things can change in a few minutes ,Snowing here now!
    As Jean byrne says BITTTERRLY COLD lol

Weather Warning

Issued at 31 December 2009 - 14:06
    Weather Warning

The cold snap is expected to continue well into the New Year, severe night frosts and daytime temperatures remaining close to zero.
    Snow showers in coastal counties of the northwest, north and east could give significant deposits, especially over high ground.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think any showers in the east tonight will be from South Dublin to Wexford and a bit futher inland, I cant see north Dublin, Meath, Louth getting any more snow showers in this cold snap unless a miracle happens next week.

Still at 0.2c. A stall in da fall..

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

Blue skies in Blanchardstown :( sucks!

God, ul harley get home , I would not advise going up to North donegal tomorrow lol Seriously

I feed the birds everything and anything , Last day i threw out half a pizza and it was gone within minutes , the big crows and what not devour everything.

If anything falls tomorrow should it lie and will these showers be frequent?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Su Campu wrote: »
    For those of us on the east coast there are another 24hrs left for something to occur before the low-mid level winds start to back around to a more northerly direction, thus limiting the number of showers

I'm possibly being greedy, but showers feel to me like scraps from the table. They never deliver anything of note for my location. At this stage I'm looking past this and hoping for more interesting developments.

However, I can see us getting to the end of this spell without seeing significant snow in the East.

owenc wrote: »
    If anything falls tomorrow should it lie and will these showers be frequent?
    Id say it will lie , looking at met eireanns forecast especially tomorrow night could be heavy snow.
    Its interesting looking outside, there are lots of seagulls flying around like something possessed , diving and hopping . Taking shelter from the sea i bet and looking for food.

yeah i probably won't go. afterall how could this forum possibly continue as before if something bad happened to me:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

So it is now game over for snow in the Midlands?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement