Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion [Snow showers hitting east from 4pm] ( New Years Eve 2009 )

Options

Comments

JOHNSTOWN CASTLE(A) N 10 Gust 22 RAIN SHOWER

And they're about 3 miles inland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

JOHNSTOWN CASTLE(A) N 10 Gust 22 RAIN SHOWER

And they're about 3 miles inland.

Your day will come BB :D. I think, along with WC, you deserve something special to in the future :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

So far this "artic air" is useless at this end of the country.

I have a zero dewpoint under clear skies in the dark and 2 degree's and flat calm out in the middle of the countryside.

I've had colder evenings with a southwesterly on any clear night in a normal winter.

No doubt when or if showers come ashore here,they will be weak affairs and in their +1c dp's they will bring sleety rain.

Severe winter me arse.
    In january '87 in a proper cold NE source,the river avoca froze and there was 6 inches of snow on top of it's ice.
    Now that was a proper winter.

I know,I know-it's very cold well inland and it will be -10 or lower in the west but it's a faux cold [at this moment in time] as the slightest whiff of wind of the atlantic and it will rain on low ground.

Thats my assessment so far.
    It better change.
    And yes this is a rant.

Oh and did I mention it's flat calm so showers will be under pressure to come in...

One thing is sure, I wont be worrying about the roof collapsing under the pressure of snow.

;)

As I hinted at last night, the big event over the last 48 hours for me at least has been the intense wind we had yesterday during the day and last night - not a snow storm.

lashing rain here again...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I know we all love Snow (well Mike doesn't count) and its frustrating when its close but doesn't happen but the charts and cold we have coming have only really been in FI charts for the last few years and I love Hard Frosts and sunny days over Mild and Wet muck any day.

Plus February is also our best month for Snow imo so don't give up enjoy the cold and don't expect Snow and if a surprise comes along you'll be delighted. Lets enjoy what we have and not cry about what we don't have :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Any one seen the photos just beyond killikee veiwing point towards glencree.

Artic stuff , Amazing photos.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63727534#post63727534

Well done coyote.

Oh yeah I agree but cold and rainy versus very cold and rainy...
    Not much of a choice.
    I'm not a fan of the hard frosts unless theres a bit of exciting snowfall but horses for courses I s'pose.

Still raining away 2.1/0.2

Villain wrote: »
    I know we all love Snow (well Mike doesn't count) and its frustrating when its close but doesn't happen but the charts and cold we have coming have only really been in FI charts for the last few years and I love Hard Frosts and sunny days over Mild and Wet muck any day.

Plus February is also our best month for Snow imo so don't give up enjoy the cold and don't expect Snow and if a surprise comes along you'll be delighted. Lets enjoy what we have and not cry about what we don't have :D

Good point. We as still very much in the warm side of winter really. Had the same synoptics happened in January or Feb, no doubt snow supreme across Ireland. The problem over the last few days is that the sea temps have been higher than normal therefore mixing in too much milder air in an otherwise cold flow. The forecast cold spell should bring SST's around Ireland and to the north to more average levels, so who knows what the following few weeks will bring.

Kippure wrote: »
    Any one seen the photos just beyond killikee veiwing point towards glencree.

Artic stuff , Amazing photos.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63727534#post63727534

Well done coyote.
    Yeah it's pretty lovely like that on high ground.

What do we have to do to get it to low ground though?

I've a strong suspicion and I've said it before that all these charts beyond 4 days keep getting pushed back to outside 72 hrs or so.
    They never become actuals and if they do they are fleeting..

Unless we get a proper strong [not slack] NE flow ,then this is going to be a high ground mainly wintry spell and a somewhat less but wintry spell inland near coasts but more than 5 or 10 miles from them.

Basically a useless waste of a good wind direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Check out the radar - the Irish Sea's sprung to life in the past hour! Right on q!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Good point. We as still very much in the warm side of winter really. Had the same synoptics happened in January or Feb, no doubt snow supreme across Ireland. The problem over the last few days is that the sea temps have been higher than normal therefore mixing in too much milder air in an otherwise cold flow. The forecast cold spell should bring SST's around Ireland and to the north to more average levels, so who knows what the following few weeks will bring.

there's always a problem. if we got this setup later no doubt it would in fact likely be too late. it has been cold enough for nearly two weeks the ssts should be cool enough now
    i'm sick of excuses i just want a decent snowfall. ok rant over:D

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nihilist21

Hi all, I've followed all these recent threads with much excitement - so I'd like to thank all of the contributors which have so kindly dispensed their knowledge! As for me, a few miles outside Wexford Town (150m asl) and I have my first taste of snow thus far! Coming down quite nicely and sticking more importantly.

sadly and I don't want to be a kill joy,they'll probably bring an eventual return to mild south westerlies and the spell will be wasted.

I might point out that my temp has dropped .3c since i started these rants so I shall keep writing them ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Su Campu wrote: »
    Check out the radar - the Irish Sea's sprung to life in the past hour! Right on q!

Web_radar.gif
    Something going on there alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Nihilist21 wrote: »
    Hi all, I've followed all these recent threads with much excitement - so I'd like to thank all of the contributors which have so kindly dispensed their knowledge! As for me, a few miles outside Wexford Town (150m asl) and I have my first taste of snow thus far! Coming down quite nicely and sticking more importantly.

good for you- and i don't mean that in a sarcastic way:)

Nihilist21 wrote: »
    A few miles inland presumably and nearly 500ft asl.
    Thats to be expected.

i'm sick of excuses i just want a decent snowfall. ok rant over:D

So my attempts at comforting those who have seen no real snow (inc myself) have been wasted... :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Yeah it's pretty lovely like that on high ground.

What do we have to do to get it to low ground though?

I've a strong suspicion and I've said it before that all these charts beyond 4 days keep getting pushed back to outside 72 hrs or so.
    They never become actuals and if they do they are fleeting..

Unless we get a proper strong [not slack] NE flow ,then this is going to be a high ground mainly wintry spell and a somewhat less but wintry spell inland near coasts but more than 5 or 10 miles from them.

Basically a useless waste of a good wind direction.

Thats my thinking on it to. 24 hrs ahead atm is prue fantasy. We will get snow to see level and i think we will see alot of it, but we will have to watch the next lp move in to the south and see how much cold air it really will deliver from the north east or north.

IME humbly,I don't see snow on the coast unless the 850's are at -8 and maybe -7c

http://91.121.94.83/modeles/gfs/run/gfsnh-0-162.png?12

Theres an FI chart we'll never see the colour of really next week ,nice and all as it looks!

1.7c now,I'll keep going..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Heavy sleety snow here now looking good for later when the temps drop a bit more if these showers keep up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Web_radar.gif
    Something going on there alright.

Well, if that one over south Dublin dropped anything at all it was just light drizzle. Edit : looking at the higher res raintoday radar, it actually missed south Dublin by a whisker.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

and i think we will see alot of tit,

Now that's got me interested....where and when ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

i think we will see alot of tit,

I hope so! Would like to see some snow aswell!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Su Campu wrote: »

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

setting up just nicely :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

when is this cloud leaving it is stopping our temps dropping and in turn we will have another day tomorrow above 0c if it dosnt go so when is it going?>

Evening all. I see we might be in with a chance for snow again??:)
    its shaping up to be a cold frosty night here. Everything is lit up beautifully by the moon. Dont forget to go out and look up, approx 7.22 for the Lunar eclipse.

happy new year all.

Wolfie, congrats :) A boardsie baby. yeahhh!!!

continuous rain and snow mix here now

1.6/0.0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

jenzz wrote: »
    http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

setting up just nicely :D

yep, that shower train has Bray firmly locked in it's sights. Enjoy!

Here is a copy of the Met Eireann daily reports for the 2nd June 09:

100387.jpg

Temps like that over Ireland seem to be a distant memory now, although it only seems like yesterday! As much as I enjoy the cold weather, I really hope we see some proper high temps this coming summer. Will be nice to feel warm again. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭francie BradyII

Jake1 wrote: »
    its shaping up to be a cold frosty night here. Everything is lit up beautifully by the moon. Dont forget to go out and look up, approx 7.22 for the Lunar eclipse.
    what will we see? is this really happening?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement