Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion [Snow showers hitting east from 4pm] ( New Years Eve 2009 )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

inabina wrote: »
    met radar at 19.00 showing alot more shower formation in Irish Sea. The night is VERY YOUNG!:D:D:D;)

No, it shows a streamer clipping Rosslare, is anyone in that area?
    And a new streamer hitting south Dublin and very north of Wicklow in the Bray area, probably up towards Calary.

I hope that one keeps going and eventually turns a little more NNE and blasts me out of it too!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

peasant wrote: »
    the lunar eclipse 10 mins ago, should be at its best now

more pics to follow later

Thanks for the heads up ...... got to see it!!

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

burkieboy wrote: »
    How unlucky is that a streamer sets up and it misses the south east by inches, if you follow the clouds coming of england you will see what i mean the streamer is just finishing now!!!:mad::mad: link below

http://www.meteox.com/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3&soort=satradar

Yeah pity it did'nt come a little bit more westerly and land on us :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

a1m1m1o1 wrote: »
    NO SNOW IN FIRHOUSE:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    Same here just down the road. Its missing us by 3 or 4 miles to the east:(

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Looking at the UK Meto Fax charts for between now and Monday. I'm no expert, but there's nothing to excite us east based snow lovers that I can tell. Looks very slack to me.

One for the experts: What are the chances of us seeing a system from the north in the next few days that would deliver for the rest of us?

• Advertisement

Rogue flakes from the Bray streamer hitting here now floating past the in the moonlight, pretty cool :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Very frustrating! :( I can see the shower over Sandyford (only about a mile form here) as when I look out my front window there is a big orange blob (street lights reflected) - meanwhile its clear here, can even see lunar eclipse!

1.3c DP -1.0c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭manonmir

game over here in blackrock now. what was coating the pathways is now melting. until next year....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭francie BradyII

peasant wrote: »
    the lunar eclipse 10 mins ago, should be at its best now

more pics to follow later

100408.jpg

wow how you take that? i can't take any good pix of it

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

Villain wrote: »
    Check out Lunar Eclipse, bottom right hand corner

Class

• Advertisement

Wibbler wrote: »
    Looking at the UK Meto Fax charts for between now and Monday. I'm no expert, but there's nothing to excite us east based snow lovers that I can tell. Looks very slack to me.
    Yeah I posted in the new year outlook thread on tonights ecm asell.
    It's a disaster if you want snow.

What a waste of a good possibility from the East...to have high pressure sitting too close to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Nothing here at the moment in wexford but i'm optimistic about showers later on :)

Off to get very drunk now as i find anyone who is on boards after 8pm on new years eve has some serious social issues :p

Happy new year all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Supercell wrote: »
    No, it shows a streamer clipping Rosslare, is anyone in that area?
    And a new streamer hitting south Dublin and very north of Wicklow in the Bray area, probably up towards Calary.

I hope that one keeps going and eventually turns a little more NNE and blasts me out of it too!

no hun its hitting ME:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

baraca wrote: »
    Nothing here at the moment in wexford but i'm optimistic about showers later on :)

Off to get very drunk now as i find anyone who is on boards after 8pm on new years eve has some serious social issues :p

Happy new year all

wexford should get a pounding later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

nice pic of the eclipse...

snow will come. just have to be pacient.

nneewwyyeaar.gif

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looking at that streamer over Holyhead and running down to Rosslare - there is some development in it, maybe there is still a chance for Dublin if a streamer peps up more north?

Looking at http://www.sat24.com/gb, it's pretty amazing the shadow off the Isle of Mann.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Looking at that streamer over Holyhead and running down to Rosslare - there is some development in it, maybe there is still a chance for Dublin if a streamer peps up more north?

for sure, a good chance...also a chance of another separate dublin streamer

We need to call on a streamer formation expert?

The more northerly one is hitting South Dublin/North Wicklow.
    Not enough sea fetch for anything further north unless the winds back more easterly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭ed6hellsfresh

Was out in the snow in Glenageary, pretty sleety stuff, but I am not complaining!
    Its made my year!

Looking at http://www.sat24.com/gb, it's pretty amazing the shadow off the Isle of Mann.
    The rosslare streamer is even going to miss Rosslare Ffs :mad: never mind missing the whole East coast.

Don't look at tonights ECM either...
    Mostly dry for Ireland in the coming days and it paints an end to the cold spell after that.
    The Eagle and his record breaking cold spell since I dunno when ... me arse!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Supercell wrote: »
    The more northerly one is hitting South Dublin/North Wicklow.
    Not enough sea fetch for anything further north unless the winds back more easterly.

Roads , grass , kids slide cvered in minutes literly - took pics but cantget them off poxy iPhone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

inabina wrote: »
    for sure, a good chance...also a chance of another separate dublin streamer

We need to call on a streamer formation expert?

That is what should happen by midnight judging by the forcast. Temp at Dublin Airport is now -1 so anything that falls is very likely to settle. Just a case of getting the precipitation.

The rosslare streamer is even going to miss Rosslare Ffs :mad: never mind missing the whole East coast.

Don't look at tonights ECM either...
    Mostly dry for Ireland in the coming days and it paints an end to the cold spell after that.
    The Eagle and his record breaking cold spell since I dunno when ... me arse!

It's one model run and we don't have the ensembles yet. It's a bit premature to be calling it like that judging by the GFS and UKMO. Not every single operational run from every main model is going to be perfect for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 snow plow

Very frustrating! :( I can see the shower over Sandyford (only about a mile form here) as when I look out my front window there is a big orange blob (street lights reflected) - meanwhile its clear here, can even see lunar eclipse!

1.3c DP -1.0c

same thing here, family who were in stepaside and came via sandyford,then stillorgan say there was blizards all the way til stillorgan!!!:eek::mad::(:(

i can see the shower over sandydord too!

and the lunar eclipse!

Dan

Yahoo! streamer setting up now North of the Isle of man with a target for North County Dublin. Fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Think theres a streamer headed our way supercell. looks like it according to met.ie

Look at 19.30 radar something in the offing north of the IOM and looking at www.sat24.com/gb, seems to me to be a more westerly movement in cloud than surface wind direction would indicate.

darkman2 wrote: »
    Yahoo! streamer setting up now North of the Isle of man with a target for North County Dublin. Fingers crossed.

Snap!

its sure is a night for the streamers.:D

• Advertisement

darkman2 wrote: »
    That is what should happen by midnight judging by the forcast. Temp at Dublin Airport is now -1 so anything that falls is very likely to settle. Just a case of getting the precipitation.

Realistically precip will happen where there is fetch over the Irish sea - Isle of Man punches a big hole in that, which is why we have two distinct streamers tonight .
    I expect the south Dublin streamer to hopefully move a bit further down to mid Wicklow and here as winds turn more to the N. I can't see where central Dublin or north of Dublin is gonna get any precip tonight bar really light on the coast sleety/hail stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement